• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Question about firing one up

I'd guess approximately 25% of men's basketball and football players do illegal drugs while an scholarship in college. That is probably a conservative %.

It does not bother me that Wake Forest tests players. It does bother me that Wake Forest seems to punish players harsher as compared to other colleges for the same infractions.

I guess it's semantics but I don't think WF punishes harder than they should be rather other schools do not punish as much as they should. Regardless of what a student thinks, if you don't follow rules there are consequences. Wake just enforces those rules.

Have you ever smoked grass, reff? Any other recreational drugs? Alcohol, anything?

Don't know why that matters, but was fairly commonplace to see a lot of this while I was at Wake in the mid-70's. Especially on the 4th floor of the Pika House, which was known back then as "Sky Suite." Also know from seeing several MLB players in Dec at a wedding my son was in that they also said they were not tested for marijuana, which I found interesting. I figured all of their testing included drugs of all kinds but it is only for performance enhancing stuff.

Don't know why that matters, but was fairly commonplace to see a lot of this while I was at Wake in the mid-70's. Especially on the 4th floor of the Pika House, which was known back then as "Sky Suite." Also know from seeing several MLB players in Dec at a wedding my son was in that they also said they were not tested for marijuana, which I found interesting. I figured all of their testing included drugs of all kinds but it is only for performance enhancing stuff.

You could get a pretty good contact high just opening the door and walking to the end of the hallway in the Sky Suite.

Appears that when a team in not in an NCAA tourney (which hasn't been an issue for WF basketball in a long long time), the school has the discretion to test or not test whenever they feel like it. Not saying it was the case with DT and Crab, but definitely could see an athletic department use this system to "weed out" players that they don't want around anymore and/or protect players that the athletic department wants to keep. Let's put it this way: State is not testing Cat B, Duke is not testing Brandon I or Grayson A and UNC is not testing Brice J without plenty of warning. Simply, not in a schools interest to rigorously test, particularly if a team is successful.

As for MLB, the progressive legalization of pot makes it problematic to test. If you play for the Rockies and Mariners (or you are on a road trip in CO or WA), why should you prohibited from using something that can be legally consumed?

Last edited:
Amazingly MLB also does not test for marijuana or several other "drugs of abuse"--MLB players are not subjected to random testing for any drugs of abuse, including marijuana. A player will only enter MLB’s drug treatment program if he is suspected of using a drug of abuse, in which case the player will be referred to an MLB treatment board. The treatment board will then conduct an initial evaluation of the player to determine if he should be placed in an official treatment program.

Hey Reff, should we test the underclassmen for alcohol usage because that's 100% against the law too ?! Amazing, because alcohol is a drug of abuse.

I just think it might do you some good to crush some up and burn one down.

As for MLB, the progressive legalization of pot makes it problematic to test. If you play for the Rockies and Mariners (or you are on a road trip in CO or WA), why should you prohibited from using something that can be legally consumed?

Aren't there plenty of legal substances that are banned by sports leagues? Like Adderall or even pseudoephedrine?

Appears that when a team in not in an NCAA tourney (which hasn't been an issue for WF basketball in a long long time), the school has the discretion to test or not test whenever they feel like it. Not saying it was the case with DT and Crab, but definitely could see an athletic department use this system to "weed out" players that they don't want around anymore and/or protect players that the athletic department wants to keep. Let's put it this way: State is not testing Cat B, Duke is not testing Brandon I or Grayson A and UNC is not testing Brice J without plenty of warning. Simply, not in a schools interest to rigorously test, particularly if a team is successful.

yep

Aren't there plenty of legal substances that are banned by sports leagues? Like Adderall or even pseudoephedrine?

I believe those are prescription drugs, Prescription drugs, including Adderall, can be used in baseball if a doctor diagnosed a condition for which the drug is appropriate.

Wait wut?

I heard it the day after from someone who was around them the night before. I haven't been paying much attention to Wake bball news recently so that was the only theory I had heard until this thread. Could easily be bs though.

Given the number of athletes (football and basketball) who smoked on at least a quasi-regular basis when I was at Wake (preseason, during the season, offseason) if there were routine testing and players actually got punished Wake may struggle to field a team. There's no reason to believe the rate of athletes smoking at Wake is substantially different than any other school (higher or lower).

I think there's a link between high marijuana usage among athletes and the medical marijuana debate. Marijuana may be a more natural form of pain relief than what is generally available to athletes.

I think there's a link between high marijuana usage among athletes and the medical marijuana debate. Marijuana may be a more natural form of pain relief than what is generally available to athletes.
For some reason, I highly doubt that college athletes are smoking marijuana for the purposes of pain relief.

(Pun intended)

Back