• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

question about our (attempted) running game

I hope we come out against Gardner-Webb and just run the ball 52 times until it works, like we did against Miami in 2008. That was an awesome message to the team and it worked like a charm (lost by less than a touchdown). Plus it was super-fun to watch as a fan.
I beg to differ. I wanted to blow up the TV during that game. We had Riley Skinner at QB and threw no passes.

I beg to differ. I wanted to blow up the TV during that game. We had Riley Skinner at QB and threw no passes.
My sarcasm meter wasn't high enough. I don't want to see it either. That was a miserable game. I think they let Skinner throw 8 times, none of them crucial. Message received.

I gotta know....what on earth did you see on offense that got you excited?

5 first downs vs 7 sacks, -3 yds on the ground, 25 total yds in the second half against a defense that gave up +420 yards per game last year...not to mention Monroe was picked 5th in the Sun Belt this preseason....I could maybe see how Wolford showed some bright spots but he is most certainly the only player on the offensive side of the ball that could possibly make any sort positive contribution to Wake Forest football in 2 years.

There are many things the coaches can do, the question is will this staff do them? Did anybody notice a change in the scheme after halftime? Our OL is big and slow, just like last year. Tanner-to-Camp was the answer. Last year, when we threw to Bishop on the seam route, it opened things up. It got the LBs to respect their drops into coverage. Open the OL splits to run the ball inside, throw in an orbit sweep, HB pass, middle screen to the slot WR. Slow.....Developing....inside the box....running plays....didn't work in the first half, why did Claw think they would work in the second.

Clawson didn't bring his OL coach from Bowling Green. Instead, he hired Ball State's OL coach, Nick Tabacca. Tabacca is a former Ball State player and got his MA there as well. Here is the BSD report on Tabacca:

http://www.bloggersodear.com/2014/1...ch-ball-state-jonathan-himebauch-dave-clawson

Tabacca has coached multiple offensive linemen who earned All-MAC honors. Last season Wake Forest averaged less than three yards per carry, which ranked 119th out of the 125 teams in college football. Tabacca's unit at Ball State in 2012 was sensational and had the 11th best adjusted sack rate in the country. They were also 3rd nationally in stuff rate, which is the amount of times a back was tackled at or behind the line of scrimmage. This appeared to be a decision made on some advanced metrics, which is something very refreshing to see. You can find more information here.

We welcome coach Tabacca to Winston-Salem and look forward to watching him groom our offensive linemen into All-ACC caliber players. He has a good foundation to build around in freshman all-american center Cory Helms in addition to other underclassmen.

Clawson's former OL coach at Bowling Green was hired as the RB coach at Coastal Carolina about 2 months later.
http://www.goccusports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/030514aac.html

I didn't pay much attention to it at the time, but it was an interesting choice given what was apparently a good BGSU OL.

This may have been discussed in one of the other threads but I haven't seen it... Why does it appear that Orville gets the ball standing still on every hand-off? Are the plays designed that way? Are they all delays of some sort? It almost looked like Wolford and Orville would collide every time. Just once I would like to see our tailback get the ball with a head of steam headed toward the line. Any holes our O-line manages to open will be closed again in a nano-second so hitting the hole quickly and with momentum is vital!

My guess is that this play and formation was to allow the little speedster a chance to pick a hole or route. It's just that LOBO in his massive ineptness left us with no offensive lineman who can block and no receivers who can catch.

If Tabacca can't get it done. Claw will dump him.

Agree, don't think Clawson will suffer fools gladly, unlike his illustrious predecessor!

Saw some orbit motion a few times. Would be nice to hand the ball off to the motion guy and let him sweep wide. Give the defenses something else to think about.

My guess is that this play and formation was to allow the little speedster a chance to pick a hole or route. It's just that LOBO in his massive ineptness left us with no offensive lineman who can block and no receivers who can catch.

Lotsa teams use this play and I hate it. In our case, it became INFAMOUS during the home game with Purdue. There is absolutely no deception to it and only works with teams that have very good O-lines. Obviously, I doubt we'll see it as much for the foreseeable future.

Is a 5'9" 175 lb. guy really the best option at RB with a bad offensive line? Or in general?

Is a 5'9" 175 lb. guy really the best option at RB with a bad offensive line? Or in general?

Not normally, but it might be when you've got 2 true freshman and a walk-on fullback as the current other options.

Lotsa teams use this play and I hate it. In our case, it became INFAMOUS during the home game with Purdue. There is absolutely no deception to it and only works with teams that have very good O-lines. Obviously, I doubt we'll see it as much for the foreseeable future.

I hate that crap too and it has never worked for us. Heck, it's getting to where so many teams are running the spread stuff, a team that runs the I formation, power running game and play action pass game is becoming a rarity like the option teams are.

Back