• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Question about rail travel in Europe

I throw this out there, just because it appears vad (for sure) and moon (I think :thumbsup:) have much more European experience than I do.

I've been to London multiple times; Paris/elsewhere in France; Amsterdam; Ireland; and, my personal favorite, Spain. Never been to Germany (I'm German, so I want to go). Dying to visit Prague, and wife is mainly of Czech ancestry which makes such a trip even more meaningful. Taking the entire family there (one 12 year old, a 16 year old and a 19 year old). My daughter is spring breaking it in Rome and London, so as much as I'd like to do Rome, I'd like her to see another region or country if possible.

As said earlier, I'd love to do Munich-Prague. I've thought about northern Italy-Slovenia, too. Trip needs a couple of things: family-friendliness, travel economy (meaning I'm not going to hop from Copenhagen to Prague, but a relatively easy train commute would work), and needs to fit in a 10 day window in July. What trip would you take?

They would both be great trips, but I agree with vad - go with Munich-Prague. Northern Italy and especially Slovenia are beautiful, but in terms of offering more activities to keep a 12-y.o. and a 16-y.o. entertained, Munich-Prague is the way to go. (Prague alone could keep them entertained for at least a week - awesome city.)

Very curious as to the EurRail advice on here. I always buy the 5 day first class pas before I go over and have always come out way ahead vs point to point. I guess I was doing something wrong on the point to point for it to have cost more?

The biggest problem I see is lodging. With 5 pp, I'll either have to get 2 rooms each night ($$$) or find special accommodations such as an apartment or home. Since we'll be in each city for 4 nights, it's more problematic for the latter. I've checked out options on vrbo.com and while some look good, I'm nervous about booking through an individual for an international trip.

The biggest problem I see is lodging. With 5 pp, I'll either have to get 2 rooms each night ($$$) or find special accommodations such as an apartment or home. Since we'll be in each city for 4 nights, it's more problematic for the latter. I've checked out options on vrbo.com and while some look good, I'm nervous about booking through an individual for an international trip.

I've used Home Away with very good success if you want a broker in the middle.

Munich-Prague would be my best bet for you. Family ties, both great cities with lots to see and do and relatively easy travel. I'd split the trip between them and take a day trip or two (maybe to Plzen or Český Krumlov).

Agree with this. Both incredible cities. Very easy to do a day trip to more rural Bavaria out of Munich as well.

Wait though - your 19 year is a girl right? You might want to find a way to lock her in her room the entire time in Prague, or you'll be seeing her dragging herself in at 5 in the morning after spending the night at Karlovy Lázně with 7 German/French/Austrian/Swedish boys drinking shots from her navel.

In all seriousness, Prague is an amazing city and it looks like it came straight out of a fair tale. Just be warned that the nightlife available for teenagers (even 16 year olds) is FAR beyond what you'd ever find in the USA.

Oh, and make sure to eat great fresh Czech pub food and drink beer brewed in the pub at Lokal:

4442131137_dc11c7773e.jpg

The problem I've found so far with Home Away is that most are 3 night minimum rentals. Having lots of trouble finding something in Zurich, for example

Back