• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Question for Deacs who enrolled pre-2005...would you go to Wake now?

Yeah, my criteria was very similar to Sig's too. Duke checked every box, but was too close to home and didn't offer a business or accounting major.

Where are you from? Just assumed qc was Queen City.

Hard to say. Wake was the best school I got into, and I was always going to go to the best school that accepted me. That having been said, part of the attraction to Wake came when I visited it. I just instantly loved the place. It clicked and felt like the perfect school for me. The last couple times I was there (the last time being in 09 I think), that feeling was not there. It felt more like Vanderbilt to me, a school that I did not get that "feeling" with when I visited. I didn't even apply to Vandy because I knew I didn't want to go there.

Times have also changed in terms of what having a bachelor's degree means (basically not much). In this day and age, the state school route seems to be the smarter thing to do. You have more connections if you stop at a bachelor's degree, and god knows you save some money. Plus you get infinitely more pussy.

The way I see it is this. College these days is expensive. It doesn't have to be boutique expensive like Wake, and some of the campus charms of bygone decades have been replaced with newer feels.

I'm quite sure, however, that no matter how much the tuition increases or some of the window dressing changes, Wake will still be my proud alma mater. Campus is awesome, sports will be good again someday, and I'm guessing beer still tastes good, girls are still 18-22, and the faculty and staff are top notch. You can go somewhere cheaper or more expensive or smaller or larger or wherever you want. I still love Mother So Dear and I bet I always will.

Brangus, between not getting laid and all the kids on your lawn, I think maybe you should take a second before you hit post and chill out.

Probably, if I got the same level of scholarship support as a percentage of cost as I got in 1994. The things that attracted me to Wake are still essentially the same - small class sizes, a beautiful campus, and the chance to go to an excellent university that still plays big-time sports. The schollies essentially made the cost equivalent to attending UNC-CH, which was my other choice and the only other place I applied.

That said, if my kids do not get that level of scholarship support - and I doubt they will, because of the differences in the area we live in and my income compared to my parents - I will not recommend to them that they take on a bunch of debt to go to Wake if they can get into a quality state school.

A major reason I went to Wake was because the weekend I got my acceptance letter was the weekend that Childress was going apeshit in the ACC Tournament and I was glued to the TV. Unfortunately, CMM would not lead me to that same decision if I was making it this year. So just another Fuck You, [Redacted]. We have D1 athletics in name, but not in practice at this point in time to materially affect a decision either way if that was a quality I was seeking.

Brangus, between not getting laid and all the kids on your lawn, I think maybe you should take a second before you hit post and chill out.

Brangus was only like 24 hours removed from his weekly Sunday morning reverse cowgirl when he posted this thread. I don't understand it.

A major reason I went to Wake was because the weekend I got my acceptance letter was the weekend that Childress was going apeshit in the ACC Tournament and I was glued to the TV. Unfortunately, CMM would not lead me to that same decision if I was making it this year. So just another Fuck You, [Redacted]. We have D1 athletics in name, but not in practice at this point in time to materially affect a decision either way if that was a quality I was seeking.

So your college decision was based on something you saw on TV?

So your college decision was based on something you saw on TV?

Yes. But it was Randolph Childress on TV, which should be pretty high up there on the list of acceptable TV moments to base life-changing decisions on.

What was so stressful about the first few weeks of college? I had a freaking blast! Carried right into the next four years at college. You could say I had too much fun. ELC can vouch for me here.

If I was making my college choice now knowing what would be the career path I ultimately followed, I would give stronger consideration to UNC. But Wake would still probably win out. It was just everything I imagined that I wanted in a college when I was in high school. The Plan for the Year 2000 was a great marketing ploy at the time.

Attending Wake was the formative experience of my early adulthood. I don't think I would be the same person if I had gone to a different school. So, yes, I would attend MSD again. I think I would have found a different way to pay for it (ROTC scholarship), but I would've still gone.

What happened in 2005? Seems like an arbitrary date. I heard plenty of alums in 07 talk about how much Wake had changed.

Hard to say. Wake was the best school I got into, and I was always going to go to the best school that accepted me. That having been said, part of the attraction to Wake came when I visited it. I just instantly loved the place. It clicked and felt like the perfect school for me. The last couple times I was there (the last time being in 09 I think), that feeling was not there. It felt more like Vanderbilt to me, a school that I did not get that "feeling" with when I visited. I didn't even apply to Vandy because I knew I didn't want to go there.

Times have also changed in terms of what having a bachelor's degree means (basically not much). In this day and age, the state school route seems to be the smarter thing to do. You have more connections if you stop at a bachelor's degree, and god knows you save some money. Plus you get infinitely more pussy.

This is close to my sentiments.

If I had to choose a school today, I don't think I'd go to Wake Forest. The cost is the main factor- when I entered in 1990, it was $10,500 a year and that was a lot for me. With financial aid and loans, along with a full time job throughout school, I was able to make it through without too much debt. I don't think that would be possible today (unless you get almost full ride financial aid).

I got my MBA from a state school and it means just as much as my Wake degree. If you're going into the business world, where you get your degree means less to employers than how well you do at whatever jobs you have. A Bachelor's degree is just a box to check on an application.

My daughter is 14 and we're starting to talk about colleges. Wake is on the list, but not likely the top. I'm pushing state schools if I have to pay for it.

Given that I was fortunate enough to have my parents pay for my undergraduate education and assuming I would be in the same boat if I were choosing a school again, I'd absolutely choose Wake again (That being said, I bet most people would choose a place like Wake if costs weren't a factor....I know a lot of folks that went to UNC said they would've loved to go to a place like Wake but couldn't justify the expense). If I'm paying my own way I certainly don't pay full price for Wake though. I think the cutoff line (if I'm paying my own way) is about 1.5x to 2x the cost of state school...that being said, If I could get assistance/ schollies that made the cost of attending Wake 1.5x state school or less than it would be a no-brainer to me, but if I'm still paying twice the state school costs then it would be difficult to justify

Back