• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Question re: filing taxes

scooter84

Jack Campbell
Reaction score
I am filing a tax return for my daughter who is a full time student and earned some money (very little) at a summer job last year. It is the last day (obviously) and I filing for free using TaxAct online. I e-file it and it gets immediately rejected for a mismatch between her name and SS#. I look back and realize they have her SS# wrong on her W-2.

What do I do? I can fix her SS# on her electronic tax form but then it won't match what is on the W-2? Will that even go through?

If I just forget about it and dont bother filing (she is only getting about $150 back), could this cause her problems in the future - having a W-2 on file with the feds with the wrong SS#?

I'd just print it and attach an explanation to a paper filing.

Or extend it, and get the employer to reissue the W-2

Turning this into a general Fuck the IRS Tax Day thread, every year I get dinged with penalties/interest for not paying estimated taxes, which is fine and I'll pay them because fuck that shit, you'll get my money when it is actually due and when I know how much you are actually supposed to get, not a wild ass guess based off of an irrelevant prior year. But this year, I had two W2s from two different unrelated entities, for which both had to take out Social Security and neither payroll company would let me opt out even though I knew i would go over the max when looking at them combined. So I maxed out on Social Security twice and need to get one of them back. But do I get any credit for that to negate the penalties/interest on the estimated taxes, because I did in fact overpay all year long? Fuck no, I still have to pay the penalties/interest on the estimated taxes even though they don't have to pay me any interest on my overpayment to them on the social security. Fucking cocksuckers. Thanks, Obama.

Turning this into a general Fuck the IRS Tax Day thread, every year I get dinged with penalties/interest for not paying estimated taxes, which is fine and I'll pay them because fuck that shit, you'll get my money when it is actually due and when I know how much you are actually supposed to get, not a wild ass guess based off of an irrelevant prior year. But this year, I had two W2s from two different unrelated entities, for which both had to take out Social Security and neither payroll company would let me opt out even though I knew i would go over the max when looking at them combined. So I maxed out on Social Security twice and need to get one of them back. But do I get any credit for that to negate the penalties/interest on the estimated taxes, because I did in fact overpay all year long? Fuck no, I still have to pay the penalties/interest on the estimated taxes even though they don't have to pay me any interest on my overpayment to them on the social security. Fucking cocksuckers. Thanks, Obama.

Are we going to have a collection to buy 2&2 some soap-on-a-rope for his time in jail for tax evasion?

hqdefault.jpg

Welcome to America, land of the rip-off.

I know you're just venting, but this cannot have actually cost you much. You ended up coming out of pocket when the second job started withholding 6.2% after you had capped out at the first job. The total out of pocket is like $7k. Interest at 5% for a full year is $350, so your actual interest benefit would have been perhaps half of that right?

I know you're just venting, but this cannot have actually cost you much. You ended up coming out of pocket when the second job started withholding 6.2% after you had capped out at the first job. The total out of pocket is like $7k. Interest at 5% for a full year is $350, so your actual interest benefit would have been perhaps half of that right?

For sure, it isn't much money and obviously I'll pay it. But the concept that I can owe them penalties/interest for not paying estimated taxes (which are nothing more than a fucking guess) within a single tax year, but they have no obligation to pay me interest or God forbid a penalty on overpayment money of mine (which is actual exact cash) that they were holding in that very same tax year, is both stupid and infuriating.

For sure, it isn't much money and obviously I'll pay it. But the concept that I can owe them penalties/interest for not paying estimated taxes (which are nothing more than a fucking guess) within a single tax year, but they have no obligation to pay me interest or God forbid a penalty on overpayment money of mine (which is actual exact cash) that they were holding in that very same tax year, is both stupid and infuriating.

I'm not sure this is right. (Caveat: I am a corporate tax guy, so confirm my analysis on your own.)

Form 2210 line 6 includes both withholdings AND 1040 LINE 71, which is where you got the $7k credit for excess social security withheld. Once you include it as "withholding," it automatically should offset your tax liability that would be subject to ES underpayment. So your ES underpayment penalty would be applied to the net amount. Right?

You can change your estimated payment during the year if your income drops, just have to make sure you still meet the 110% threshold.

I'm not sure this is right. (Caveat: I am a corporate tax guy, so confirm my analysis on your own.)

Form 2210 line 6 includes both withholdings AND 1040 LINE 71, which is where you got the $7k credit for excess social security withheld. Once you include it as "withholding," it automatically should offset your tax liability that would be subject to ES underpayment. So your ES underpayment penalty would be applied to the net amount. Right?

Right, which is what annoys me. They get to take actual money that was earmarked for tax A and shift it to an estimated tax B simply because they have it, without penalty for having it and not giving it back when they got it. Whereas I'm penalized for not giving them money towards tax B, even though it is just an estimate and the actual tax is paid when due.

Back