• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Quick "lawyer on tv" type legal quesiton?

denverpacker

Reaction score
The wife and I are enjoying watching Suits on tv. From what I understand, the young legal genius character Mike Ross did not attend law school. Do you have to be a law school grad to become an attorney? I thought if you passed the bar, you were admitted into the profession? I guess not?

In most States, but not all, graduation from and ABA accredited law school is required to sit for the Bar exam. California is an exception and there may be others as well.

Thanks folks. Kinda what I figured. I would think that if you can pass the bar, you should be allowed to practice.

Anyhow, very interesting show so far

The writers of the show really should have come up with something better than he doctored up a Harvard Law School degree but not an undergrad one.

It is certainly the case in North Carolina that you have to have graduated from an ABA-accredited law school in order to qualify to sit for the bar exam--this is why it was such a big deal for the new law schools (Elon, Charlotte) to get accredited as soon as possible. It would be hard to get students if the degrees you're awarding don't allow them to take the bar exam.

The writers of the show really should have come up with something better than he doctored up a Harvard Law School degree but not an undergrad one.

He graduated from college and went to law school but dropped out.

Depends on the state.

In the overwhelming majority of states, you have to graduate from an accredited law school even to sit for the bar exam, and you cannot be admitted to practice without a passing score. In CA (I think it's the only state that does this), you can sit for the bar without a law degree.

In one or two states (Wisconsin is one), you can be admitted to practice without taking a bar exam if you graduate from the state's principal law school (UW).

Suits is my favorite show right now. The characters have ratchetted up their moxie across the board this season. The only character that I'm growing tired of is Jessica.

"I thought you got a degree from Columbia."

"I did. And now I have to get one from America."

He graduated from college and went to law school but dropped out.

wrong, he got kicked out of college. that's how jessica figured him out there was no record of him graduating from any college ever.

Didnt he forge his Harvard diploma? In the most recent episode while taking the polygraph, he passed when answering something like "I proudly am in possession of a diploma from Harvard" when asked which law school he graduated from.

Rachel (the cute paralegal) obtained a fake diploma for him last season. She is one of the few who know his secret.

Rachel (the cute paralegal) obtained a fake diploma for him last season. She is one of the few who know his secret.

Rachel doesn't know. That's why he broke up with her. The hot hacker from season 1 hacked into Harvard records and added him, then called Harvard saying he lost his diploma, could he get another, so they sent one.

Rachel doesn't know. That's why he broke up with her. The hot hacker from season 1 hacked into Harvard records and added him, then called Harvard saying he lost his diploma, could he get another, so they sent one.

Yep, you are right! My bad.

Back