• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Quit your job; become a teacher?

when you said "i.e not getting paid during summer"... some credit unions will allow you to adjust your paychecks to spread your salary over the whole year. almost all the teachers i know do this.

Even if you do that, you're essentially taking a paycut for the rest of the year to make up the difference. You're basically letting the credit union do your budgetting. You're still missing out on the summer paychecks themselves.

I know a guy who was a partner at a big law firm who decided at 50 yrs old that he was tired of the grind and didn't care about the money so he retired, went back to college to get a masters degree and is now a HS history teacher and loving life.

Just for federal loans? Or for private as well?

Sorry, go caught up....The Fed program has to be a Stafford Loan, I believe. I think the state one can be any, but that's California....not sure about other places.

I'm teaching at a university, not high school, but I think it's pretty rewarding. And summers off are sweet (though I'm always doing something else). But the workload is never ending. You can move some of it around - do planning early mornings or late at night - but there's so much prep involved. That was the biggest surprise for me.

I know a guy who was a partner at a big law firm who decided at 50 yrs old that he was tired of the grind and didn't care about the money so he retired, went back to college to get a masters degree and is now a HS history teacher and loving life.

It's easier not to care about the money after saving it up as a partner in a big law firm.

Smoove, I haven't been bored since my first summer of grad school. It's either work or procrastination.

So what are the best ways (websites or other) to search for high school teaching jobs? Also, I am about to decide on whether or not to enter into a masters program. Is it harder to get a job as a first time teacher with a masters degree?

So what are the best ways (websites or other) to search for high school teaching jobs? Also, I am about to decide on whether or not to enter into a masters program. Is it harder to get a job as a first time teacher with a masters degree?

go to the website for the district you want to teach in and then look at openings. If you really want to teach you should start a masters program, but I would make certain it's what you want to do before you start.

go to the website for the district you want to teach in and then look at openings. If you really want to teach you should start a masters program, but I would make certain it's what you want to do before you start.

Agreed. Especially if you want to teach in high schools, you're not really going to get a serious look at competitive schools without an MEd or its equivalent.

For true. I taught for 10 years in Private School. The last 5 of those years, I was actively looking for a public school job in my area. Finally found one last year.

Any recommendations if I don't have a preferred area? Are there any reputable sites you would recommend consulting if I am looking at states or areas I am unfamiliar with?

California uses edjoin.org for many of its education jobs. Education is going down the crapper out here, unless you are going into special education you are screwed. My district has no regular Ed teachers with less than 8 years experience because of pink slips.

Back