• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Radford, VA

wefinish

Reaction score
I am going up to Radford, VA next weekend to see my soon-to-be-wefinishtoy. She just moved up there so she doesn't have a great idea of everything to do there, and I have never been there. I was just wanting to know if the pit could help me out with finding stuff to do in/around Radford. I know there's not much there, but any help would be appreciated.

Boogity would use his penile wand to blast his spell all over you. Just try to avoid getting any spell in your eyes.

What are you looking to do? Christiansburg is only a few minutes from Radford and offers more in terms of entertainment/restaurants.

If you are a golfer at all (and you really don't have to golf to enjoy this); the Virginia Tech Pete Dye River Course is actually in Radford and they have a spectacular place to grab dinner inside the clubhouse (and on the patio if the weather is right) that overlooks the course and the New River.

The restaurant at the course is called Bull and Bones (its their 2nd location , the first has been absolutely booming in Blacksburg). They do really good wings (probably the best I've ever had) and ribs... The Blacksburg location is a brew-house as well, but because of the three-tier system; the River Course location serves some other good local micro-brews on tap. I'd highly recommend trying this out if you have a free night; its really a hidden (quite literally; you'll eventually find it!) gem.

In terms of a more traditional setting; Bookbinders (the famous/high-end chain that you'd find in Philly and D.C.) had a location on the way into Christiansburg from Radford on Peppers Ferry Rd. The local owners have since dropped the franchise tag; but have kept the most popular menu items (they have kept the same distributor and chefs) and added a few very good options. The re-branded restaurant is called "Blackstone"; its a pricier option but is probably your best bet for a classy date if that's what you're aiming for.

I can give you advice on pretty much anything else you're looking to do (or at least point you to the right person to ask); feel free to send me a p.m. or keep it going in this thread...

Oh... and yeah; double bag it.

If she's into hiking; there are 2-3 great trails up there for a couples outing...

The Cascades is a perfect hike for beginners or anyone trying to have a relaxing climb/picnic/etc.... The hike up makes you feel like you've accomplished something (~1 hour) and has an incredible waterfall at the top. There are two different trails; one is a pretty typical hike (split off right at the start) and one is pretty much just a dirt road, which is the one we usually take going back down. If you go up the first and down the second; it makes the way down feel about 5 minutes long.

This is the waterfall at the top of that trail:
cascades.jpg

If you (and the futuretoy) feel like doing a tougher (really just longer hike); McAfee's Knob is one of my favorite trails I've ever been on (and shouldn't take you more than about 15-20 minutes to drive to from Radford). I'm sure you can find a little bit more information on it; but if I remember correctly, its about 7 miles roundtrip. This is what awaits you at the top (yours truly pictured):

Also worth noting; you might already know this... but Clemson plays at Virginia Tech on Saturday night (6 p.m.). You can make it to the stadium in about 20 minutes from Radford.

I'm somewhat biased; but if you've never been to Lane Stadium, its quite an experience. If you have the chance to go as a casual observer, that might be a pretty awesome outing.

The hype for that game is pretty crazy; its probably going to be the loudest Lane has been for a game in the past 3-4 years... If you're interested in going; I can keep an eye open for tickets & I'm sure you could scoop some up off of craigslist, etc. since you have a weeks notice.

Appreciate it guys! I'll definitely keep all this in mind, and Vtwhat, if you could keep an eye out for CHEAP tix, I'd appreciate that as well!

I may have a handful of FREE (as opposed to CHEAP) tickets but I won't know until Wednesday or Thursday; I'll shoot you a message when I hear something on them. If a sure-thing comes up before then, I'll let you know.

Visit the shot tower, not far from there.

McAfee's Knob is a nice hike, but it will be the most crowded area on the Appalachian Trail on a fall weekend.

I live in Roanoke which is about 30 minutes from there. Not familiar with that area at all but there is some stuff here, not a great deal, but some.

Ringing endorsement. "things are there...well, a few things are there."

Ringing endorsement. "things are there...well, a few things are there."

I like it here because I grew up in a small town of 1,100 people so Roanoke still seems like a big area to me even though I spent the last two years in the DC area. However, I'll admit that there is not a lot to do here in terms of restaurants, bars, music, and so on. If you like outdoor activities, it's a great place since there are several golf courses, good fishing, great hiking, and excellent mountain bike trails.

Unfortunately, the ratio if herpes to girls is also quite impressive. Didn't radford have the worst STD rate in the country a few years ago?

My nanny is from Salem, VA and went to Radford U. I'll ask her about the herpes.

Back