• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Raleigh lawyer for tenant/landlord issue?

And it's not really that bad of an idea. Messing with land lords is a hobby for me though.

If it really is unhinhabitable, you've got a lot of options. Have fun messing with them.

Last edited:
From the description, this place doesn't even sound close to uninhabitable.

I guess it just depends on what the issue is but if he went to court while withholding his rent he could use the Warranty of Habitability Law, which states that you only need to pay as much rent as the place is worth.

Are you a landlord tenant attorney? If so maybe he should give you a call.

I'm guessing not though based on your advice.

Here is a 2010 CLE on landlord tenant law in NC: http://www.nclamp.gov/2011%20CLE/Rowe%20Landlord%20Tenant%20PPT%20Rev%202010.pdf

Last edited:
Oh I don't think so. It's an UDTPA to try and collect rent on an unhinhabitable place.

BSD stop giving legal advice on landlord tenant law while your L-T lawyer is not on google chat. :) All joking aside, BSD is correct, but stopping paying rent is risky. There is a L-T lawyer on the boards who would have already commented, but he's been busy preparing for a L-T CLE he's giving this morning. I'll direct him to this thread afterwards. You certainly have some options here.

BSD stop giving legal advice on landlord tenant law while your L-T lawyer is not on google chat. :) All joking aside, BSD is correct, but stopping paying rent is risky. There is a L-T lawyer on the boards who would have already commented, but he's been busy preparing for a L-T CLE he's giving this morning. I'll direct him to this thread afterwards. You certainly have some options here.

See, I was grasping at straws here!

From the description, this place doesn't even sound close to uninhabitable.

I dunno man, mold + hvac doesn't sound too good. I know that if there is a housing code violation it is evidence of uninhabitable, though standing alone, not enough.

I dunno man, mold + hvac doesn't sound too good. I know that if there is a housing code violation it is evidence of uninhabitable, though standing alone, not enough.

Ah, I was reading that as the OLD apartment was the moldy H-Vac from a while back, that def changes things.

Might be the case. I'm making up facts to fit my legal position....

Thoughts on hiring a handyman to fix issues that have been communicated to a non-responsive landlord and then taking the money out of the rent check?

If it is uninhabitable, he needs to leave, and can quit paying rent. If he stays, he owes rent. This place does not sound uninhabitable. He should put the complaints in writing, and send to LL. If LL doesn't cure in a few days, he can have the repairs made himself, and hold the amount of repairs out of the rental payments.

Back