• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rand Paul is Suing the President

No. You seem to think he should. Why sue instead of impeach? It's a simple question. Just answer it.

Because I don't know that trying to expand the power of the executive branch is "impeachable." However, I do think that He, Clapper, et al are guilty of breaching the 4th amendment. YOu tend to ignore the others who are being included in the lawsuit.

There is also the public outcry over impeachment that would ensue. You and your ilk would cry to the heavens that the pubs just wanted to impeach a black man and the MSM would champion that cause.

Instead he is attacking the people involved in 4th amendment issues.

It's a pure sound bite/maneuver intended to play to a "base" that will embrace him as a warrior for justice and personal freedoms. He's just another egomaniacal politician making a PR move.

If he is really serious, use the process that exists already to rectify the problem.

Quit being a blowhard/pussy and impeach him.

Hulks may want to wipe the corner of his mouth after that post.

Because I don't know that trying to expand the power of the executive branch is "impeachable." However, I do think that He, Clapper, et al are guilty of breaching the 4th amendment. YOu tend to ignore the others who are being included in the lawsuit.

There is also the public outcry over impeachment that would ensue. You and your ilk would cry to the heavens that the pubs just wanted to impeach a black man and the MSM would champion that cause.

Instead he is attacking the people involved in 4th amendment issues.[/QUOTE]

A President violating a constitutional amendment isn't grounds for impeachment?

So, he knows the President is committing impeachable crimes, but he's too afraid to call him on it because Rachel Maddow might criticize him?

You know how you attack people in the government violating constitutional amendments...you impeach them?

Sgt. should stop using Fox News talking points. Obama sucks, but these are horrible arguments.

Impeachment is only appropriate for "high crimes and misdemeanors." To my knowledge, there is no statute or case law establishing that what the NSA is doing is a crime, much less a "high crime." The only ruling I'm aware of is under appeal, and any vote--even if it weren't inevitable that it would fall along party lines--would put the Senate in the place of the court system, interpreting case law and making judicial decisions. So, no, impeachment is not and would not be appropriate until we get a final ruling.

Yes, the president can be sued on a personal level. Nixon was sued when he refused to turn over a number of Watergate tapes, and the Supreme Court unanimously ruled against him. I'm sure that's the model Paul is following, for two reasons: 1. The SCOTUS can issue a definitive ruling that the NSA program/activities are unconstitutional, which Congress through an impeachment proceeding cannot, and, 2. The SCOTUS can order injunctive relief, preventing any such programs (at least that they know about) from happening in the future.

The reason Paul comes off as a whiny bitch is--even apart from this being a transparent publicity move with little chance of success--because he's a member of the legislative branch who's gone crying to the judiciary about Obama rather than sacking up, rallying the troops, and doing something about it in Congress.

Reactions: ONW
Impeachment is only appropriate for "high crimes and misdemeanors." To my knowledge, there is no statute or case law establishing that what the NSA is doing is a crime, much less a "high crime." The only ruling I'm aware of is under appeal, and any vote--even if it weren't inevitable that it would fall along party lines--would put the Senate in the place of the court system, interpreting case law and making judicial decisions. So, no, impeachment is not and would not be appropriate until we get a final ruling.

Yes, the president can be sued on a personal level. Nixon was sued when he refused to turn over a number of Watergate tapes, and the Supreme Court unanimously ruled against him. I'm sure that's the model Paul is following, for two reasons: 1. The SCOTUS can issue a definitive ruling that the NSA program/activities are unconstitutional, which Congress through an impeachment proceeding cannot, and, 2. The SCOTUS can order injunctive relief, preventing any such programs (at least that they know about) from happening in the future.

The reason Paul comes off as a whiny bitch is--even apart from this being a transparent publicity move with little chance of success--because he's a member of the legislative branch who's gone crying to the judiciary about Obama rather than sacking up, rallying the troops, and doing something about it in Congress.

+100, drop the microphone and walk off the stage.

http://spectator.org/blog/57822/why-rand-paul-filing-class-action-suit-constitutional-matter

An interesting viewpoint that refutes Paul (and me, I guess). However, someone has to stand up to the NSA/executive branch.

"Reid can claim that Paul’s lawsuit is about the First and Fourth Amendments all he wants. But if this is strictly a constitutional matter, then why file a class action lawsuit? Paul himself has noted it is the first time a class action lawsuit has been filed over a constitutional question. Class action lawsuits are filed with the intent to collect a cash settlement or other compensation. The cash settlements for the litigants are usually for a nominal amount but the lawyers involved are usually compensated to the tune of six or seven figures. In this case, said compensation would be financed by the taxpayer. Nice work if you can get it, Mr. Cuccinelli.

As for Rand Paul, you can sign up for this lawsuit at his 2016 Senate campaign website and if you do, by golly, you can donate to his re-election campaign as well. When it comes down to it, Rand Paul is doing nothing more than using our Constitution and the judicial system which stems from it to finance his Senate campaign and very likely his run for the White House."

Pretty much. How about passing some laws that restrict NSA's authority?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...8675aa-942b-11e3-83b9-1f024193bb84_story.html

Rand has another problem, this project was started by another attorney and included a Dem Senator, but both were dumped and Cooch added in at the last minute. Rand already handled the Wiki speeches issues poorly and now this. Don't understand how he can run as a libertarian and align with Cooch. Cooch, Santorum, and Huckabee all need a big activist government to enforce their rigid social policies.

Pretty much. How about passing some laws that restrict NSA's authority?

My read on it is that there are too many 'pubs who agree with the NSA blasting our 4th amendment all to hell and the dems don't want to go against their party. There just are no votes/balls in the congress to stand up for freedom/to their president.

The unceremonious jettisoning of a constitutional lawyer in favor of the man best known for his unsuccessful suit to have Obamacare declared unconstitutional suggests that Paul’s legal action has more to do with politics than the law.

lol. Ya think?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...8675aa-942b-11e3-83b9-1f024193bb84_story.html

Rand has another problem, this project was started by another attorney and included a Dem Senator, but both were dumped and Cooch added in at the last minute. Rand already handled the Wiki speeches issues poorly and now this. Don't understand how he can run as a libertarian and align with Cooch. Cooch, Santorum, and Huckabee all need a big activist government to enforce their rigid social policies.

I am shocked Rand Paul claimed someone else's work as his own. He's just teaching all of us more lessons Karate Kid style.

My read on it is that there are too many 'pubs who agree with the NSA blasting our 4th amendment all to hell and the dems don't want to go against their party. There just are no votes/balls in the congress to stand up for freedom/to their president.

So a senator can't get the votes to do something, so he's going to sue.

So a senator can't get the votes to do something, so he's going to sue.

Plan C is to jump up and down and cry on the Senate floor until he gets his way.

Do any of you guys ragging on Paul think that the NSA should be reigned in? If so, what is your solution since the Pres in all in on the NSA and the congress doesn't seem to have the stomach to deal with it?

Do any of you guys ragging on Paul think that the NSA should be reigned in? If so, what is your solution since the Pres in all in on the NSA and the congress doesn't seem to have the stomach to deal with it?

I'd personally steal a bunch of classified documents, fly to some of our biggest enemies, claim asylum, and start leaking things out...or I'd sue the President in a civilian court. Rand had no other options.

More oversight, probably. Is this the way to actually accomplish that, not so much.

Sure. We've needed that for 13 years or so now. The way to do it is to campaign on the issue, get the votes, and make the changes. I thought we did that 6 years ago, but I was fooled.

Back