• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rational Thoughts on Board Drama

I'm shocked at how fast the message board over there has turned into a ghost town. I think a lot of occasional visitors to the DS forums are probably wondering where everyone went. Hopefully they'll figure it out sooner rather than later.
I've basically stopped visiting that board. I'll check it occasionally only because there are some posters who deliver the goods and haven't yet transitioned to this board (e.g., Chrispy).

Turf? Naz?

In re: this thread, I get the feeling some around here actually take these things seriously and go so far as to think about the boards and who said what for more than 10 seconds after getting off the boards.

I'm thinking there are those who think this is something more than an anonymously stupid way to piss away the clock.

Funny you chimed in on this - you probably would have been my first guess otherwise.

I've basically stopped visiting that board. I'll check it occasionally only because there are some posters who deliver the goods and haven't yet transitioned to this board (e.g., Chrispy).

chrispy and pilch would be huge gets for this board. we need our rodney rogers recruit. sorry milhouse, you don't count. :plos:

Only one model makes any sense to me as far as Scout's long-term plan. Charge subscriptions to a small loyal (and fanatical) user base and leverage them to become the central hub of basically every school's community. I would assume revenue models are based off network effects from large numbers of non-paying members - not simply amassing paid subscribers. Either that or they're delusional about the number of fans willing to pay for recruiting info.

Assuming that's the case, it would probably be a good idea to, oh I don't know, show an ounce of interest in your customers. Or you can just look the other way while your website serves up viruses to everyone and refuse to implement features that were standard a decade ago like "search."

This board isn't the result of a BzzOut movement. It's the result of diluted insider information, horrible technology, overbearing rules and regulations, and abysmal mod support combined. BzzOut was just the catalyst.

Funny you chimed in on this - you probably would have been my first guess otherwise.

I'm not into the alias crap. Besides, me having an alias would be like the big bad wolf wearing Red Riding Hood's cape. Something just seems off about that.

Only one model makes any sense to me as far as Scout's long-term plan. Charge subscriptions to a small loyal (and fanatical) user base and leverage them to become the central hub of basically every school's community. I would assume revenue models are based off network effects from large numbers of non-paying members - not simply amassing paid subscribers. Either that or they're delusional about the number of fans willing to pay for recruiting info.

Assuming that's the case, it would probably be a good idea to, oh I don't know, show an ounce of interest in your customers. Or you can just look the other way while your website serves up viruses to everyone and refuse to implement features that were standard a decade ago like "search."

This board isn't the result of a BzzOut movement. It's the result of diluted insider information, horrible technology, overbearing rules and regulations, and abysmal mod support combined. BzzOut was just the catalyst.

We have ourselves a winner.

Well can you remember the last time Wake won at NC State? I don't think it's happened since I've been a Wake fan.

Plus, I'm pretty sure I at least split the gas with you.

Probably Chris Paul vs. West Virginia season. The last time before that was probably JHo's senior year when the State fans were throwing water bottles on the court after the last minute technical. I was sitting ten rows up at RBC and state fans were not being very friendly.

Very well said!

that virus fiasco was complete bullshit...damn near wrecked my computer beyond repair.

Great post DC, totally agree.

Sadly, this simple concept is so difficult for many people to grasp.

To be frank, I really don't think it would be a contest at all between the two boards if Irish and dv7 resigned as mods.

Obviously it is their prerogative because they did help start it, but there are definite advantages to this forum and I think that it would leave no question about the motivations of starting the new board to those on the fence.

But they might just head over anyway.

I do believe there are probably many that are hesitant for this very reason, however.

I'll add that I don't feel too strongly about it, one way or the other, but it really was one of the things I thought about. SERIOUS BUSINESS, THIS.

If they are hesitant about that, then they wouldn't like that people can speculate without fear of censorship out there. They wouldn't like that people can pretty much say whatever they want, however they want over here.

I know I'm not liked by everyone. I don't care. This is the internet. Get over yourselves.

No, I don't think it would be for fear of any of those things at all. I don't think it would be for fear at all, period. I think those things are completely disconnected and the board can still be the shining beacon you want it to be for those things. I think the hesitancy would be because people don't want to contribute to a board where they believe you want it to be a shining beacon for yourself, rather than for internetz freedums.

Like I said: I thought about it, and I'm over here, and I wasn't hesitant because I was afraid things wouldn't be censored and that people can say whatever they want.

That doesn't really make any sense at all.

Those are my thoughts on the Boards dramatics.

My biggest fear in joining was thinking DV7 and his misfits would treat this board like their playground.

So far I've been impressed and my hope is that the post padding will die down once the mods realize this will be the Wake board going forward and stop overcompensating to drive activity.

Some of the stuff about DS boards might have been better on the Pit, where it wouldn't interfere with real sports talk.

I never really had any huge issues with them so admittedly I can't see much point in antagonizing them. Some of the remaining users there are pretty aggressive themselves, though.

In addition to what thinking said earlier, another big problem for DS and anyone trying to sell insider information Wake is a small enough school and our # of sports fanatics is small enough that a high % us have friends that have access to insider information or friends of friends that do (at least to some degree). At the big schools the % of folks in that camp is much smaller.

Back