• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Re-living 1995

ERMNeqPXYAApIpr

It's from Mike Muses's Twitter. He lists: Duncan, Childress, Rogers, Davis, Odom, Howard, Brown. I don't know if that's Johnson behind Rogers or not.

DGz_ouIV0AAEG55.jpg

Glad to hear Odom being interviewed during game in booth give recognition to Rodney Rogers for being the first big time recruit to sign. Childress came because of him. Our entire run in the 90's and 00's sprung from Rodney. Makes me mad that we burned that down.

I remember having the Duke game on the radio at work. We were down 18 or so points early to a bad Duke team and I thought, great, another choke job in the tourney. I think I got pissed off and shut off my radio. Checked the score later and we were up double digits. Randolph has gone bonkers.

That’s the thing about that tourney. Not that we won, but that RC was so freaking epic. Somebody will break that scoring record one day (maybe they already have but I wouldn’t know since I’m tuned out of hoops) because there are more games now, but 107 points in 3 games is just absurd. He put the team on his back and won the tournament.

But beyond RC being epic, what I remember most about the final was Rasheed crying like a bitch when he rolled his ankle.

Brilliant game and so glad Rasheed rolled his ankle, thus giving us a considerable advantage in the paint!

LOL at Rasheed sulking on the bench.

Rasheed was just faking! He was tired of getting stomped by Duncan and stayed on the bench, a whipped pup.

And it wasn't just 107 points. I'm pretty sure he had above average assists and rebounds too.

Can somebody refresh my memory on the Dean Smith-Rick Barnes confrontation?

Pretty sure it had been contentious all game and Bill Harder (?), a Clemson guard, had a dirty foul on Shammond (could've been someone else) in the last minute when it was a 15 point game or so. Dean charged on the court towards Clemson's bench and they got face to face for a bit.

I remember having the Duke game on the radio at work. We were down 18 or so points early to a bad Duke team and I thought, great, another choke job in the tourney. I think I got pissed off and shut off my radio. Checked the score later and we were up double digits. Randolph has gone bonkers.

That’s the thing about that tourney. Not that we won, but that RC was so freaking epic. Somebody will break that scoring record one day (maybe they already have but I wouldn’t know since I’m tuned out of hoops) because there are more games now, but 107 points in 3 games is just absurd. He put the team on his back and won the tournament.

But beyond RC being epic, what I remember most about the final was Rasheed crying like a bitch when he rolled his ankle.

Nobody has broken Childress' record. It took over 35 years before Randolph Childress broke Lenny Rosenbluth's record. Childress was helped a little by the three point shot.

The person who breaks the record will either have to have a scoring run like Chill did over three games or play for a team that has a four or five day run in the ACC Tournament. Teams from the bottom tier rarely win against teams with double byes.

And then the next year Clemson upset UNC in the first round of the tournament

Pretty sure it had been contentious all game and Bill Harder (?), a Clemson guard, had a dirty foul on Shammond (could've been someone else) in the last minute when it was a 15 point game or so. Dean charged on the court towards Clemson's bench and they got face to face for a bit.

Dean also tried to tell the Clemson player after the game that he (the Clemson player) was “better then that” behavior.

Barnes got wind of it and (correctly) told Dean to coach his own players and Barnes would coach Barnes’ players, fuck you very much.

I was at the final 2 games of the 95 tournament with my son, who was 10 at the time. We were sitting in the 10th row behind the UNC bench for the finals. It was electric going into OT and then Randolph took over. That game, and our come from behind win over Auburn in Football (‘79) were the most memorable sporting events I’ve experienced in my life. My son and I were courtside while the Deacs cut down the nets. It was great.
My son cried when Wake later lost in the NCAA tournament........and 8 years later he went to GT.

Deano went after Iker Iturbe.

I think he went after both, in separate incidents (Iturbe at the ACCT; Harder in Clemson)

"I regret that our series has reached this stage," Smith said in a statement released through the ACC office. "And as coaches we bear responsibility and accountability for the conduct of our programs."

Smith said he understands Barnes' frustrations and that talking to an opposing player is not in the best interests of the game. "It won't happen again," Smith said.

Talking to Clemson players is just how the feud between the two coaches began last year--when they were each fined $2,500 during the ACC tournament--and flared up again this season.

Barnes was upset after Smith acknowledged talking to Clemson guard Bill Harder during their game in Clemson, S.C., last week.

Hard to believe Barnes only coached at Clemson for 4 years

Back