• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Re Pub Voters "Voting Against Their Interest"

I couldn't even finish that drivel.

Democrats did not kill coal, the invisible hand of the free market killed it.

More or less on topic, an interesting article about why the rural poor stopped listening to the Democrats and instead go in for rich guys. https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/07/advice-for-the-left-on-achieving-a-more-perfect-union/531054/ Among other conclusions: the rural poor dream of being filthy rich rednecks, not moderately wealthy educated white collar latte sippers, and they resent the latter for looking down on them. More broadly, the Democrats long ago abandoned the unions and anti-monopoly policies in favor of globalization and identity politics. Dems have a long way to go before earning back the trust of the rural poor, and for good reason.

More or less on topic, an interesting article about why the rural poor stopped listening to the Democrats and instead go in for rich guys. https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/07/advice-for-the-left-on-achieving-a-more-perfect-union/531054/ Among other conclusions: the rural poor dream of being filthy rich rednecks, not moderately wealthy educated white collar latte sippers, and they resent the latter for looking down on them. More broadly, the Democrats long ago abandoned the unions and anti-monopoly policies in favor of globalization and identity politics. Dems have a long way to go before earning back the trust of the rural poor, and for good reason.

yeah, good read.

i21pwg.gif

"identity politics" isn't a solution for the urban poor, either. If 2016 serves no other purpose than bringing that garbage to its overdue conclusion, it will have been worth it. People---even poor people---are greater than their "identity".

migration-chart.jpg

I post this because, with a heavy heart, rural American living is becoming obsolete. I live and have always lived in larger, urban areas. This is mainly because of jobs, experiences and socialization with like minded people. However, in recent years the thought of moving and acquiring acreage is calling my name. However, I believe rural America is on the endangered list. Businesses have a hard time making money, outside of large factories that take advantage of large areas of vacant land to build. I think you will continue to see a decrease of population in rural areas because of the lack of jobs (automation in factories). IMO, and just my opinion, you will have to be educated to live rurally...it will be more internet based jobs that will make this possible.

You can drive across the country and find little towns that went bankrupt because jobs left and the people followed. it is already happening and lower educated people will need to move to urban areas to find employment, make money or whatever. you can call it a trend but it is truth.

Last edited:
Good Atlantic article, conclusion is if you want to accomplish anything you need to drop the petty bullshit, the you are racist because you don't see color type of shit. Can't have change if you are sitting on the sidelines.

migration-chart.jpg

I post this because, with a heavy heart, rural American living is becoming obsolete. I live and have always lived in larger, urban areas. This is mainly because of jobs, experiences and socialization with like minded people. However, in recent years the thought of moving and acquiring acreage is calling my name. However, I believe rural America is on the endangered list. Businesses have a hard time making money, outside of large factories that take advantage of large areas of vacant land to build. I think you will continue to see a decrease of population in rural areas because of the lack of jobs (automation in factories). IMO, and just my opinion, you will have to be educated to live rurally...it will be more internet based jobs that will make this possible.

You can drive across the country and find little towns that went bankrupt because jobs left and the people followed. it is already happening and lower educated people will need to move to urban areas to find employment, make money or whatever. you can call it a trend but it is truth.

The fact that both parties are trending towards protectionist free trade policy is mind-numbing. Globalization should be a good thing, not some horrible buzzword.

Also, yes to nuclear.

Just so I understand, the right crushed the unions and collectivism and sold the supply-side long con on these people, the dems let themselves get swung to the right along with it, and now union-hating austerity-boy jhmd is spiking the ball about his take on the dem party while ignoring the crap sandwich that is his party - the ones who invented all this shit policy in the first place. Audacious mofo, that one

Just so I understand, the right crushed the unions and collectivism and sold the supply-side long con on these people, the dems let themselves get swung to the right along with it, and now union-hating austerity-boy jhmd is spiking the ball about his take on the dem party while ignoring the crap sandwich that is his party - the ones who invented all this shit policy in the first place. Audacious mofo, that one

You do not understand.

One day you will ask the tough question about how you managed to be unconvincing and noncredible enough to run on the "Hey look, free stuff!" platform and STILL lose.

I understand conpletely. Out messaged in rural America. Simple as that. Not better policy, that is clear. Better politics.

“vote on the basis of their vision of what makes a great nation.” He’s absolutely correct, and our “interests” depend on the complex interplay between our faith, our families, and our communities. For example, is a person who enjoys more religious freedom but has less economic stability better off than a person whose liberty is diminished but has reliable health insurance? All too many progressives think there’s an easy answer to that question. They’re wrong.

The message that resonates? Fear.

Fear that the liberals aren't going to let you practice your vending machine version of Christianity.
Fear that the liberals are going to take your guns.
Fear that people with different colored skin are either going to hurt you or be in positions of authority.
Fear that the government is going to use your money to accomplish these things.
Fear of change.

Lots of people who work in coal mines will benefit by eliminating the "death tax".

Back