• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rebounding Margin....16th after non-con.

pourdeac

Reaction score
The most glaring ugly stat in the Buzz era was rebounding margin...as most on here probably remember. His teams were near the bottom of the NCAAs at both Colorado and at Wake which was unbelievable to me. Here is the comparison between years (going by Yahoo #s) and keep in mind I believe some of those teams in 2010 did not have anyone taller than 6'6".

Stetson -11
Hampton +5
VCU -9
Elon +22
Winthrop -7
Marist -7
Iowa -7
HolyCross +8

Total -6
Avg -0.75.

NCAsh +25
Tulane +13
Ark -1
Iona +19
Nicholls +20
MtStMary +16
DelSt -4
Minn -7

Total +81
Avg +10.1

Before last night we were 4th in the NCAAs (+13.7..with slightly different numbers). We finished last season ranked 237, with a season average of -1.3 (265, -2.6 in 2012-13; 305, -4.2 in 2011-10; 315, -5.3 in 2010-11). That's quite a turnaround and points to an entirely different team emphasis and strategy. Looking at the stats, we should have beat Iona given our rebounding, and should not have let DelSt out rebound us (and should have been a W). The same players a year from now would not have lost those two games IMO. Just sayin.

Last edited:
stock-footage-hands-up-of-caucasian-smart-male-celebrating-business-success-on-rooftop-overlooking-manhattan.jpg

No, the most ugly stat of the Bzz era, and also the only one that matters, was his Won-Loss record. We'll see how DMann stacks up over time.

No, the most ugly stat of the Bzz era, and also the only one that matters, was his Won-Loss record. We'll see how DMann stacks up over time.
Sure but IMO one stat was pretty predictive of the other. To me the shift shows how much things have changed regardless of the current W-L record...and it's in a very positive way. That's a great sign.

2013 (Bz's 4th year)

Colgate: +2
VMI: +20
Presbyterian: +17
Jacksonville: +17
The Citadel: +11
Kansas: -4
USC: +1
Tennessee: -6
Tulane: +13
Richmond: +29
St. Bonaventure: +10
UNC Greensboro: +1

AVERAGE: +9.25

We were nearly +10 in rebounding margin heading into the Xavier game last year (when competition began to be consistently way tougher than many of the games noted above). We are pretty much just as bad of a rebounding team as last year. When we play better, more athletic competition on a more consistent basis, it will be more apparent to you. The argument in the OP doesn't mean anything.

Last edited:
We were nearly +10 in rebounding margin heading into the Xavier game last year (when competition began to be consistently way tougher than many of the games noted above). We are pretty much just as bad of a rebounding team as last year. When we play better, more athletic competition on a more consistent basis, it will be more apparent to you. The argument in the OP doesn't mean anything.
Good point but I bet we're no where as bad as you apparently think at the season's end.

Good point but I bet we're no where as bad as you apparently think at the season's end.
We shall see. We certainly don't pass the eye test. Dinos and Leonard aren't exactly high jumpers, and both struggle to box out against more physical opponents. Maurice Walker (#15) was jumping over our guys last night.

We shall see. We certainly don't pass the eye test. Dinos and Leonard aren't exactly high jumpers, and both struggle to box out against more physical opponents. Maurice Walker (#15) was jumping over our guys last night.
Haha...struggling to box out is an upgrade over not boxing out!

Over 90% of rebounds are grabbed below the rim even in the NBA, so boxing out and lateral quickness are far important than being able to jump. But to your point, we don't pass that eye test either.

At the very least, I do expect us to be significantly better in both OR% and DR% than last year. Everyone at least appears to be involved in rebounding, whereas we had half the roster trying on one end for much of the past regime.

This is as deceptive as a thread can be. It's irrelevant what the stats versus a team that has no logical to this one. It's only pertinent to compare to last year. Even then it's not that sensible as we lost three of our Top 4 rebounders.

I started thinking about this again and...something didn't make sense. In prior years we started off bad in non-conference and finished about as bad after league play started which means we didn't get worse in league play. Last year we started strong as you pointed out (which I didn't realize) but STILL finished very bad....so I looked up the numbers and did the post Jan 1 calculation.

In 2011-12 we were 303rd on Jan 1 at -5.0 margin and finished 305th with a -4.2 margin, which means in league play we were -3.7...slightly better.
In 2012-13 we were 251st on Jan 1 at -2.1 margin and finished 265th with a -2.4 margin, which means in league play we were -2.6....slightly worse.

About the same in league vs non-league. Last year was the exception. We were 27th on Jan 1 at 7.3, but finished 237th with a -1.3 margin. That means in league play we were -7.0/game in league play. That 14 reb a game swing is pretty amazing.

Right now we're at 16th at 9.4...571 rebs vs 440 opp rebs in 14 games. If we average what Bz teams did the 2 years prior to last year the rest of the way, we should finish close to or better than 100. Some obviously don't think this means anything, but it was so consistently bad under Bz's teams, both here and at Colorado, that it MUST reflect his coaching strategy/style, one that was not going to work in the NCAAs. It's one stat I expected to see...rebound. :).

Wake's third in the nation in defensive rebounding percentage. Princeton stopped a downward trend on that front though as our best rebounding games had all previously come in November. Two of our last three games have been two of the worst four performances all year (Bucknell and Richmond). Let's hope we can continue to hit the defensive glass.

Back