• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Recommend good stuff you've seen on Netflix streaming

Did not like OA. I slogged through all of season 1 for that finale? Makes me angry just thinking about it.

Did not like OA. I slogged through all of season 1 for that finale? Makes me angry just thinking about it.

I ditto this. I don't even remember what the ending was, I just know I hated it and said "no mas".

I finally finished Stranger Things. Good season. It's lost the magic of the first season for me, but still better than most. Between this and "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood", I've been seeing a lot of Maya Hawke (grand prize winner of the genetics lottery) lately. I look forward to seeing more of her.

Have not watch season 2 but now I probably won't. Brit Marling pretty much writes the same themed shows/movies and they all run on the slow side.

Exactly how I feel. I absolutely hated the ending of S1, and was hoping they would do better in S2, but now, who cares?

OTOH, I have a soft spot for teen drama, and am enjoying The Society on Netflix. Glad to see another season is coming next year.

I'm 2 episodes in to the new Amazon show The Boys and quite impressed so far. Fun take on the superhero genre in which they're generally all corrupt assholes working for a nefarious entertainment corporation. Will continue.

The Boys on Amazon Prime - dark but good

Watched it all whilst sick, thought it was very good.

I think the belief is that their reputation will bring new subscribers. I read an article explaining why Netflix cancels a lot of shows after season 2: the new contracts for talent in season 3 does not justify the amount of new subscribers that season would bring. So they cancel shows as they become expensive and move on to something else. Stranger Things is an obv exception to the rule. So I'd guess that Netflix believes these guys, by reputation, will bring new subscribers. Same for Shonda Rhimes.

I think the belief is that their reputation will bring new subscribers. I read an article explaining why Netflix cancels a lot of shows after season 2: the new contracts for talent in season 3 does not justify the amount of new subscribers that season would bring. So they cancel shows as they become expensive and move on to something else. Stranger Things is an obv exception to the rule. So I'd guess that Netflix believes these guys, by reputation, will bring new subscribers. Same for Shonda Rhimes.

TITCR

See the recent losses of Friends and The Office. Worth more elsewhere than on Netflix.

Everything is about keeping domestic subs and future ARPU... And international sub growth.

Euphoria ep 1 was good and I'll keep watching, but it's hard to get past the fact that all the high schoolers look (and probably are) 25 years old

Euphoria ep 1 was good and I'll keep watching, but it's hard to get past the fact that all the high schoolers look (and probably are) 25 years old

they are mostly 20-22 now, which means they were probably a year younger respectively when the show was filmed, so not too bad. I would say the casting is one of the show's greatest strengths. Great S1, kind of a corny start, really gets p great by eps 4-5, slight lull then v good finish.

If you haven't watched Derry Girls you should. It's hilarious, and it's not a commitment with both seasons being 6 eps that are ~25 mins long. Sister Michael may be the funniest character on TV.

If you haven't watched Derry Girls you should. It's hilarious, and it's not a commitment with both seasons being 6 eps that are ~25 mins long. Sister Michael may be the funniest character on TV.

Derry Girls is good.

A show I strongly recommend is Kim's Convenience. Not edgy, but funny and just really good. I think Shannon is one of the best characters on TV. She reminds me of prime Janet from The Good Place.

Glow Season 3 dropped today.

they are mostly 20-22 now, which means they were probably a year younger respectively when the show was filmed, so not too bad. I would say the casting is one of the show's greatest strengths. Great S1, kind of a corny start, really gets p great by eps 4-5, slight lull then v good finish.

yeah, and obviously they're Hollywood-level attractive people, but I have family members in high school who look like babies relative to the cast

ep1 was well-acted

Second this rec. it was still funny as hell, but super personal and insightful. Dude’s evolution is amazing . The bit on white people out-woking one another was great.

Aziz Ansari's new special shows a whole new side of him. This wasn't a frenetic monologue about video games and hip-hop. He veers into Minaj and Kondabolu territory about race relations and current events. And of course, his own recent troubles. Good stuff, I'll give it a rewatch.

It was funny, but I didn't like it as much as his older stuff. I think his comedy is stuck between single guy hjinks and family humor. Kind of like Chris Rock's evolution between his 90s single guy stuff that kind of ended with "No Sex in the Champagne Room" to telling jokes about his wife and then ex-wife and kids in the 00s and 10s. In between, Chris Rock went all in with political commentary and nailed it. Aziz is still working on his voice there. I thought his stuff about woke white people landed the punchlines, but the set ups weren't great. His next political standup will probably work out the weak points.

He acknowledged his situation up front which was good, but then he basically pulled a subtle whatabout by focusing much the first half of the act on R. Kelly and Michael Jackson and how stuff that was innocent on TV shows 10 years ago seems much worse now. "You can't judge everything by 2019 standards."

His crowd work was great. The one thing I didn't like was the close up shots of his face.

By the way, I looked it up and Rock is married to Megalyn Echikunwoke now. Nice work.

Just got HBO back, and started Chernobyl today. Great drama two episodes in. I love how the director makes no attempt to make the British actors do Russian accents, and the only character that is commonly known, Mikhail Gorbachev, is only recognizable by the horseshoe hairline and birthmark. Just get the story told. And it's a good story so far. Good job of putting some personal stories into the factual timeline. I want the fireman's wife to get to him in Moscow. I was 11 when the meltdown happened, so I wasn't very aware of the severity, other than "the Russians messed up, and a lot of people died or are going to die." The rest I learned from public school history. I'm digging it.

That new sci-fi show on Netflix starring Katee Sakhoff is dog poop. If you're thinking "It can't be THAT bad, I should at least check out 1 episode to see for myself" then don't. Seriously don't. It's so bad I'm not even going to bother looking up the name. Sakhoff is buff though, she's been going hard at Crossfit since BSG ended.

That new sci-fi show on Netflix starring Katee Sakhoff is dog poop. If you're thinking "It can't be THAT bad, I should at least check out 1 episode to see for myself" then don't. Seriously don't. It's so bad I'm not even going to bother looking up the name. Sakhoff is buff though, she's been going hard at Crossfit since BSG ended.

thanks DeacHead- I respect your viewing choices and I thought I wanted to watch that show but was leary of the terrible rotten tomatoes score. Now I know not to bother.

Watched an effed up movie today called The Ones Below. Watch it if you want to feel strange afterwards

You can look at the preview scenes for this and know it's bad by how cheap it looks. If they didn't spend any money on the effects and sets, then they obviously didn't on the writers either.

Back