• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Recommend me a book

Unbroken is quite incredible and awesome.

City of Thieves

It's a novel set during the 900 day seige / blockade of Leningrad (St. Petersburg) by the Germans in WW2 - extremely well written and a page turner. (NYT Review here: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/06/books/review/Fishman-t.html)

cityofthieves-225x300.jpg

If you liked Two Cities, try David Copperfield. Dombey and Son was also pretty good.

Not to make this my own personal book club, but I thought Two Cities was incredible. Probably a top-10 (if not T-5) book of all time for me. I'm sort of mad at myself for not reading it earlier.

I'm just not sure how much more I want to read about the downtrodden class. I assume that's what DC is about.

Don't want to give too much away, but Copperfield does not involve a long, drawn-out struggle with poverty.

I would recommend you go on to Amazon and type in the names of books you have enjoyed. They will then provide other similar books and I've found that they are often pretty good at recommending books I enjoy.

Going obvious here... Superfreakonomics.

Have you read predictably irrational, the upside of irrationality, how we decide? I'm currently reading everything is obvious and think it's pretty good.

Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely is indeed very good. Much better than freakonomics IMO. There is one study about sexual arousal and decision making in PI that makes the entire book worth reading (the rest is good too). Although, I believe you can find the actual scholarly article on google scholar.

Freakonomics was terrible. Just garbage.

Freakonomics was terrible. Just garbage.

To the laymen it certainly was not terrible. Pretty fascinating, if only for a different perspective (scholarly or tripe).

Disgrace by JM Coetzee

+1 Almost everything by Coetzee is fantastic.

For W-S history, someone mentioned Patrick Reynolds' book. I'd second that recommendation. The Reynolds are an interesting bunch.

I'm currently reading, and hope to finish tonight, Our Southern Highlanders by Horace Kephart, which I've enjoyed.

Empire Falls. It's not the last book I read, but his writing is dynamite. Bridge of Sighs was not nearly as good.

Could anyone get behind The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao? I don't have a Spanish language background; so that may have been a deal breaker.

I will also always recommend The Fountainhead.

Surviving The Killing Fields - Haing S Ngor
The author won Academy Award for his role in The Killing Fields, then wrote this book describing his life under Khmer Rogue

A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini
Way better than his first Kite Runner

+1 Almost everything by Coetzee is fantastic.

For W-S history, someone mentioned Patrick Reynolds' book. I'd second that recommendation. The Reynolds are an interesting bunch.

I'm currently reading, and hope to finish tonight, Our Southern Highlanders by Horace Kephart, which I've enjoyed.

I have read waiting for the barbarians and slow man - any other suggestions of his?

Finished Moneyball a few weeks ago. Worth the read if you're into baseball.

I also just stormed through the first four books of a Song of Ice and Fire. Awesomeness. Can't wait for the show now.

you should read the 4-hour body by timothy ferris. guy is a G

Love Ishiguro. Anybody see the Never Let Me Go movie? Any good?

BUMP THANKS TO SEARCH

Slow but good. I didn't like it the first time I watched it but I really enjoyed it the 2nd time.

Also, I read Everything Matters (townie rec from this thread) and it was very good. I'll certainly think about it for a long time.

Back