• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Recommend music to me

WFU03

Reaction score
Well, I guess it can be to anyone reading this thread, but I'm always (this is a lie...almost never...but I like it when I find it) on the look out for new music. My most common "search" method is to go to metacritic, see what got high scores in a given year, and start listening. This method misses a lot of good stuff, though, so that's where I want you, the pretentious music listener, to fill me in.

I like a fairly wide range of music, but enjoy pop/rock/lowfi type stuff most often. Some of my favorite albums from the past 5 or so years are:
-Bon Iver, For Emma, Forever Ago
-The Format, Dog Problems
-Fun, Aim and Ignite
-Sufjan Stevens, Illinoise
-Yo La Tango, I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass
-LCD Soundsystem, Sound of Silver

Now recommend some stuff (old or new). Go.

Last edited:
I've been listening to U.S. Royalty a lot lately

Couple from this year:

Departing - The Rural Alberta Advantage
Outside - Tapes N Tapes
No Color - The Dodos

Thank you gentlemen. Hopefully some of it is on Spotify.

Reviews after one listen:
-US Royalty...surprisingly good stuff. Will definitely listen again.
-Rural Alberta...pleasant enough, but I could take it or leave it. Sounded a bit like a knock-off of The Decemberists

-Tapes N Taps...pretty good stuff. Definitely will get a few more listens.
-The Dodos...listened to it twice now and can't remember a thing about it. Kind of like the elevator music of indie music. Pleasant and nice enough at the time, but thoroughly forgettable.

Btw, with any of these "reviews," convince me why I'm wrong and what I missed.

The Felice Brothers album was pretty good. I've found that I like country/folk/rock quite a bit whenever I listen to it, but I never think to actually put it on.

So what else do you have people?

Oh, and the reason this is a different thread than the music thread is because this one is tailored to me and my musical tastes. :p

-Tapes N Taps...pretty good stuff. Definitely will get a few more listens.
-The Dodos...listened to it twice now and can't remember a thing about it. Kind of like the elevator music of indie music. Pleasant and nice enough at the time, but thoroughly forgettable.

Btw, with any of these "reviews," convince me why I'm wrong and what I missed.

For real? You like what you like. There's not much of a right and wrong here. I tried to make some selections loosely based on your examples that were easy to listen to. Had I gone for something more complex or challenging, I might add some exposition, but there's not too much to "get" about the three I listed. You either like em or don't. Glad you could get into tapes n tapes a bit. Freak Out is such a great track.

For real? You like what you like. There's not much of a right and wrong here. I tried to make some selections loosely based on your examples that were easy to listen to. Had I gone for something more complex or challenging, I might add some exposition, but there's not too much to "get" about the three I listed. You either like em or don't. Glad you could get into tapes n tapes a bit. Freak Out is such a great track.

Fair enough. Based upon your postings, I trust your musical taste though, so I thought maybe I was missing something.

Got anything else you think I might like?

Great hymn, will always think of this now after I hear it.

Fair enough. Based upon your postings, I trust your musical taste though, so I thought maybe I was missing something.

Got anything else you think I might like?

New? Panda Bear is pretty good and Animal Collective-y. I'd recommend Person Pitch first, but their new album is pretty solid.

The Feelies have a new album this year that's also pretty good.

Or just check out somma my mixes! :thumbsup:

Rock for the non-rock fan:

Fleet Foxes -- Helplessness Blues.
Bon Iver -- New album leaked on iTunes, you can find it out there.
Ed Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros -- Up From Below
Cut Copy -- Zonoscope

I can't believe someone seriously neg repped me for this thread (and didn't sign). I'm well aware of the general music thread, but people don't like the same things. For instance, David Bowie is high acclaimed and has tons of fans. I can't stand his music.

I was hoping to get some tailored recommendations from our resident music experts. I'm sorry if I took up too much of your screen space with one thread.

Back