• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

[Redacted]'s Behavior/Comments vs. His Success

Reaction score
I'm curious as to what percentage of the hatred towards Bzz is his asshat comments, behavior and demeanor vs. his inability to coach a basketball team. I truly feel like he hurts himself a significant amount by: throwing the players under the bus constantly, refusing to take responsibility for anything, and battling with fans on and off the court.

Thoughts?

I hate him as a coach because of his utter inability to succeed. I dislike him as a person due to his demeanor in the public eye and from what we have heard about how he handles the team.

I hate him for ruining the program I love. Everything else is added. He destroyed wake basketball I hate him for that most.

I'll just say that Grobe routinely got away with (and was even praised for) eerily similar comments to the ones that [Redacted] has been slammed for over the past 4 years.

The success has a lot to do with it.

I'll just say that Grobe routinely got away with (and was even praised for) eerily similar comments to the ones that [Redacted] has been slammed for over the past 4 years.

Agreed and I was done with that shit from Grobe four years ago too.

Very good point. I started to become bothered by the Grobe nonsense starting in 2007 when we blew Riley's senior season. Many others let him get away with it.

Like everything else, its a combination of both methinks

Of course success goes hand in hand with how much of your bs people will tolerate. Take Ratface K for instance. He is an egotistical asshole who treats opposing players, coaches and fans like shit. But he gets a pass because of his team's wins on the court. Bill Belicheat is another shithead who is allowed to be an asshole because he wins football games. [Redacted] shows no humility or responsibility for being an awful coach and an even more awful motivator of his players. You can't be an asshole and a perennial loser and get away with it.

When a team is successful, those types of comments can at least be written off as "motivating." When the team is losing, there is no excuse for it.

Very good point. I started to become bothered by the Grobe nonsense starting in 2007 when we blew Riley's senior season. Many others let him get away with it.

Like everything else, its a combination of both methinks

I mean, it's no secret that I was not a fan of Grobe from the moment I started following Wake in '08. The hypocrisy in the responses to his comments and Bz's comments bothered me the moment Bz got here, and I'm pretty sure I took some shit for saying as much when I started posting here.

rw42 is right, though. The way a team is playing has a lot to do with the perception of shit like that, something we witnessed when the bottom fell out for Grobe last fall.

Back