• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Redskins Name Change Thread

White America freaked out? Really? Given the number of people who actually watch Mike and Mike on TV, I'd guess it was a demographic the size of a pimple on a boil on a bear's butt.

And why would anyone be offended by that T-shirt, anyway?

White America freaked out? Really? Given the number of people who actually watch Mike and Mike on TV, I'd guess it was a demographic the size of a pimple on a boil on a bear's butt.

Take that up with the people on social media who were/are offended.

Been done

FightingWhites.png

wake_forest_demon_deac300.jpg

I don't think they're "offended" by the shirt. Probably just "offended" by having the issue brought up in a disagreeable way. No white dude is going to be offended by that shirt, even in this day and age where everybody is supposedly offended by everything.

"As a Native American, do you find that name offensive, or doesn't it bother you?"

solid question.

The meaning of a word is connected to the intentions of the user and the context in which the word is used. Most Indians understand this, even if contemporary liberal activists in this case ignore it because they think ignoring it will serve their momentary political purposes.

The meaning of a word is connected to the intentions of the user and the context in which the word is used. Most Indians understand this, even if contemporary liberal activists in this case ignore it because they think ignoring it will serve their momentary political purposes.

It just so happens that this particular word was used in the genocide of Native Americans:

Ci1kgrbWsAAIoNR.jpg:large

Its the same as with anything these days, some segment of a population wants its 30 seconds of fame. No native american cares about the nickname, there are a ton of people trying to drum up support among the population, but it still doesn't move the needle in the culture. Lots of people taking up the mantle that have no real connection to it.

Now, redskin can be an abusive term if you want it to - but so can pretty much any other cultural nickname if you try.

Back