• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Redskins Name Change Thread

Why is it that when people bring up past atrocities in the us that folks have to dredge up their own life story to like counter that as if it’s an opinion?

I’m not saying this is Stratton, but it also seems like a lot of folks i see who are proud of their ancestors’ immigration rags to riches success stories also like to crow about build that wall, keep out the Mexicans etc. Seems…incongruent.

Everyone on this Board with half a noggin knows they had it better than their ancestors had it before them. And it chills us to learn and read about the challenges they faced, no matter where and how they were brought here.
As much as I enjoy and read history, I never found it very useful to compare childhoods, roots, ancestry because each is unique to itself. I simply try to listen to all the stories we each have and try to reach consensus how fortunate we all are to now be here in a Country where we are free to express our opinions and beliefs without restrictions. That is with warts and all and hell knows we have them.

ELC, the idea that American genocide is a Soviet invention is comical. Take the same history you know and just imagine all the killing was justified. Telling groups of people who were wiped out and enslaved that their stories are Soviet propaganda is just nonsense.

I didn't say it was a Soviet invention. There are certain unsavory events in our past that are undeniable. But it's the Soviets and other Marxists who chose to emphasize those as a means of pulling down the U S of A. Because, you know, everybody is equal in great Marxist utopias and all that jazz. So yes, badmouthing the US has its roots in that. It doesn't mean you can't badmouth the US because there are plenty of things it deserves criticism for. But yes, the motive could be questioned because ultimately, what's the point in accentuating all the bad history, particularly when it makes no effort to recognize what was going on in the rest of the world at that time? Hell, every white guy who stands up for America anymore has his motives questioned and is called a white supremicist and a whole host of other bullshit, but God forbid somebody call out something that absolutely has its roots in the USSR propaganda machine. When the Soviets were making such criticisms, they were killing and imprisoning how many millions of their own people?

Please tell me, Tobacco, how "white" ignorance is different from any other kind. My goodness. As for explaining to Tobacco that he has no relevant knowledge of history, I merely explained that Sweden in 1920 was no paradise, and the incentive to find a better life was a matter of life and death. Stay, and starve, or go, and take your chances. My very, very, white parents took their chances. Thank God that they did.

And, Tobacco, I am not now, nor have ever been, the slightest bit insecure. I am 6' 5" and 240 pounds. Smart as a whip, if I do say so. Made it through Wake and Columbia Law on scholarship.
Practiced law at the highest level. Made partner. Lived in NYC for 40 years and nobody bothered me, not for a second. So come on over to my place and we'll see which one of us feels insecure. I just love my country, warts and all, and notice that neither you nor anyone else has come up with a country that can boast a better history. So, between the two of us, I'm betting that you are the moron.

It’s ignorance due to being white and which is part of having the privilege of the security that you brag about.

And it’s classic insecurity to talk about how big you are and threaten someone on the internet.

Last edited:
Eric, what I mean by white ignorance is the privilege you have from the color of your skin that allows (or disallows) certain assumptions that influence how you are treated and judged. The fact that you have to ask, and are fighting it so hard, proves the point.

This thread isn’t about comparing the virtues of various countries. I don’t think I’ve made any comments implying where I think the US ranks. It’s weird that you are so stuck on other countries when we are discussing sports teams in our country. What’s the purpose of that distraction?

Also, you are really overweight. That increases your risk for cardiovascular disease. While you are a tall guy, we should get you down at least 15lbs. Maybe more depending on what medical conditions that you have. You will probably feel better, too.
I’m happy to come over and teach you how to eat healthier so you can enjoy all that success you are so eager to share with strangers on a message board.

Eric, what I mean by white ignorance is the privilege you have from the color of your skin that allows (or disallows) certain assumptions that influence how you are treated and judged. The fact that you have to ask, and are fighting it so hard, proves the point.

This thread isn’t about comparing the virtues of various countries. I don’t think I’ve made any comments implying where I think the US ranks. It’s weird that you are so stuck on other countries when we are discussing sports teams in our country. What’s the purpose of that distraction?

Also, you are really overweight. That increases your risk for cardiovascular disease. While you are a tall guy, we should get you down at least 15lbs. Maybe more depending on what medical conditions that you have. You will probably feel better, too.
I’m happy to come over and teach you how to eat healthier so you can enjoy all that success you are so eager to share with strangers on a message board.

Just had my yearly physical. 12% body fat. But sure, come on by to give me instructions on what to eat. I am always eager to hear advice freely given and intended to help. And PH (ooh look, my screen name includes my graduate degree), I didn't threaten anyone, just explained why I have never been insecure, and believe me, I'm not You are projecting. (Well, OK, for the sake of full disclosure I admit that I felt insecure for some time when my wife died suddenly and unexpectedly and I had to take care of the kids and work and all that without her guidance and love, but we somehow made it through by the grace of God. She was all I ever wanted in life, also the progeny of immigrants, smarter and much better looking than me, and I was at loose ends without her. It was a good run, but it ended way too soon.) By the way, she had the "white privilege" of having had most of her Polish jewish family murdered in the holocaust. And then died of an undetectable aneurysm at a young age. Look at all that privilege! I guess being white gives you all sorts of benefits denied to those who have skin of other hues. I should have explained that to her as she was dying on the floor of our bedroom before the EMTs could arrive, not that they could have done anything. You should try the "my wife collapsed and there's nothing I can do" game. It's fun for the whole family. It turns out that the body bag doesn't care what color you are.

And you are forgetting that you wrote first about our great country's "shitty history," which at the least implies that other countries can boast better, non-shitty, histories. Still haven't heard which ones. Or maybe the history of every country is just shitty, in which case I don't see the point in picking on the USA. OK, every country is shitty. I really do want to know what you meant. Where does this country rank on your shitty scale?

If somehow the woke mob could cancel the Patriots I would fucking love that. Break Boston sport trolls little dead hearts.

The GW Colonials logic would fit the Patriots perfectly. Heck, throw in the Eagles, the national symbol, in there for good measure.

The GW Colonials logic would fit the Patriots perfectly. Heck, throw in the Eagles, the national symbol, in there for good measure.

The Saudis are into falconry. Can we end the Falcons ?

Titans and Giants are offensive to the differently-heightened.

Back