• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Refs - Clemson Game

socaldeac

Reaction score
I did not watch the entire game. However, the first quarter there were several no call plays that impacted how the game started.

First Series no pass interference called. I think Clawson should have called a timeout gathered the Refs and asked if this is going to happen all day.

Perry again was faced guarded an interfered with on a long pass. I believe second series.

First series inside the five our TE was tackled with no call.

RETT was facemasked by their TE who caught the ball.

Several offensive motions called on Wake with no movement. One near the 50 yard line when it was 3rd and 2.

This type of advantageous Refereeing set the type of game that was going to be called. Put differently OK to pass interfere and ticktack offsides calls. This all benefited Clemson.

Did not see the whole game, but it is just like watching Duke BB get all the tick tack falls at the end of the game when K stands up and yells at the Refs.

Last edited:
We didnt do ourselves any favors with how flat the team came out, but yeah it was officiating was bad. Seems like it was not a banner day for ACC officiating as I am seeing the refs in BC-FSU were pretty brutal too.

We didnt do ourselves any favors with how flat the team came out, but yeah it was officiating was bad. Seems like it was not a banner day for ACC officiating as I am seeing the refs in BC-FSU were pretty brutal too.

I mean the Perry no call was on the third play of the game, we were ready to attack

Imagine if the refs were quick with the flags on how the Clemson DBs were holding and pass interference, Hartman would have moved the team down the field and more guys open. When no flags, it tells the DB continue to hold, allows the rush. How the game was called played into Clemson’s game plan.

Don’t disagree refs were bad but it’s been worse for us there before sadly. Refs didn’t cost us this game but sure didn’t help, but honestly - I think we all knew that was gonna happen much like at Cameron. Inability to stop their run, take advantage of Turnovers, and turning the ball over on wrong side of the field cost us this game.

No excuses, but yes, the refs were awful most of the day and most calls in CU's favor. You know that's coming and have to be ready for it. There was one PI no-call where it looked to me like Clemson's DB literally headlocked our receiver when the ball came near and dragged him five yards away.

I hate to whine about calls but that no-call on the blatant PI on the first drive was a killer. If we get that call the drive stays alive longer and we likely get a minimum of a field goal. Plus it changes the whole complexion of the beginning of the game, our psyche, our confidence, their ability to mug receivers the rest of the game, etc.

Then the other blatant tackle of one of our receivers as we were knocking on the door - we get that call we likely score a TD instead of a FG.

Whatever - it is water under the bridge now but I would just love for us to get some respect and a fair shake. After that first no-call Clawson probably should have lost his mind and not shut up until they gave him a bench penalty or whatever...

I was at the game close in behind the Clemson bench. The punt return TD which was called back due to the fair catch signal offered very good insight into mob mentality. 80,000 people saw the fair catch signal, and then everyone in orange just tried to will it into non-existence. Deafening roar for the touchdown that never happened. Deafening boos when the refs “cheated” them out of it. The PA announcer fed into it when he said with disdain, “the ruling is that a fair catch was called”.

I knew then more screw jobs were coming. Refs almost died for calling a fair catch which was obvious and in plain view.

On the first no call pi 1st possession Clawson should’ve walked out to the center of the field, wait for the officials. Calmly tell them that we are not going to allow the game to be officiated like this. Take the penalty. I saw Tom Penders do this during a Texas game and thought it was great. No screaming no finger pointing, just calmly state that we will not allow it.
This officiating setup at Clemson is a scam. It’s been going on for years.

The game was over on the first possession which is why I didn’t watch it after that.

Clemson is going to rush 7 guys and hold and interfere with the Wideouts where we have been destroying teams. This is a competition issue for the league. One of these days someone is going to file some sort of legal action. It’s that egregious. At s9me point you just take your team off of the field.

The reason why college football is interesting is because of the quality of play at the QB spot and the rules are changing to protect receivers, the game is opening up. Wake has to run it’s stuff.

We showed up for a football game and the refs were calling a wrestling match.

I totally agree that Clawson should’ve done something extreme at least to get the scales slightly tipped back, because it was all very predictable from the beginning. But no one’s ever going to “file legal action.” This is the way sports works for the blue bloods and has for years.

The fact that clemson got it’s second penalty late in the game is all you need to know how this one was referee’d. the refs were not going to let Wake run their offense, blatantly obvious, highly intimidated, small minded referees.

Yeah and let’s be honest - league would much better have State or Clemson in Charlotte than LOWF.

Refs??
Flat???
C'mon.
How about just admitting our defense can't stop a nose bleed?
Just sad that we have a Top 10 Offense with a D that couldn't break the top 150.
And we could bitch and moan all day long about LOWF but the opportunity was there.

Refs??
Flat???
C'mon.
Just sad that we have a Top 10 Offense with a D that couldn't break the top 150.
And we could bitch and moan all day long about LOWF but the opportunity was there.
Ed and some

This would typically be fair, but not in this case. Clemson is an extreme situation. It is not a. bitch to state that there is an obvious lack of rules enforcement at Clemson. It has been this way for a couple of decades and they still feast in the areas that are not correctable by replay. This is a systemic problem and goes to the core of competition within the ACC office. My point is do something don’t bitch. There are many things being questioned in our society now. To say that this is just the way it is, the blue bloods etc. Well I’m somewhat surprised that college football is still a thing now, because there is money involved and lack of action within the ACC competition committee then someone will challenge 5is idiotic construct at some point.

Refs??
Flat???
C'mon.

Agree. Love our season but Clawson needs to be confronted about the D. Its "his"....has been for 8 years. It really is a shame we have advanced with such a proficient O, he can't field even an average D to save his life. His perspective and assessment of this area is greatly flawed. 2 and some 3 deep positions?....most exeperienced? The O productivity charted on a graph is an exact inverse for the D.

I'll be glued to the tv next Saturday cheering, yelling, and screaming for a victory and a second trip to a Wake championship game in my lifetime! But even my enemies here will be sad and a little angry if the O performs masterfully to put 45 points on the board, only to have the D give up 48.

Last edited:
Back