• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rejecting words and actions which perpetrate, support or encourage white supremacists

He retweeted this around the same time he tweeted that.

I'd support an amendment appointing Trump as fuhrer if he would make cold calling illegal

Don't bet on it. It'll be interesting to see what the courts do from here on out after Berkeley, Portland and Cville. I don't think localities will be able to reject them outright, but I'm assuming they'll pay more attention to time/place/manner restrictions.

Don't bet on it. It'll be interesting to see what the courts do from here on out after Berkeley, Portland and Cville. I don't think localities will be able to reject them outright, but I'm assuming they'll pay more attention to time/place/manner restrictions.

If it's the same group who created all the problem, it's an easy no. They wouldn't have a leg to stand on about being peaceful.

If it's the same group who created all the problem, it's an easy no. They wouldn't have a leg to stand on about being peaceful.

It is not an easy no, and this will end up back in the courts. They still have the right to assemble/rally, subject to the city's reasonable time/place/manner restrictions. What will be litigated is what restrictions are reasonable under the circumstances. The city is currently employing a firm to review its public meeting policies and procedures. Said policies and procedures must still be content neutral.

It is not an easy no, and this will end up back in the courts. They still have the right to assemble/rally, subject to the city's reasonable time/place/manner restrictions. What will be litigated is what restrictions are reasonable under the circumstances. The city is currently employing a firm to review its public meeting policies and procedures. Said policies and procedures must still be content neutral.

You have no right to create violence.

Last edited:
Corrected...no need for that...and you understood what it meant. Well, if anyone other RJ had posted it.

Corrected...no need for that...and you understood what it meant. Well, if anyone other RJ had posted it.

And many of those who committed violence have been arrested. So what? You cannot curtail free speech and assembly because of content. This time around, Judge Conrad may be more open to time/place/manner restrictions, but he's not going to allow the city to deny a permit outright because city officials don't like the content of the speech.

It's not about curtailing free speech because of content. It's about the fact that this group created violence. You don't have the right to scream fire in a crowded theater. They have a track record of doing so.

If another RW group came to town, I would agree with you 100%.

It's not about curtailing free speech because of content. It's about the fact that this group created violence. You don't have the right to scream fire in a crowded theater. They have a track record of doing so.

If another RW group came to town, I would agree with you 100%.

You don't get it. There were several hundred white supremacists here on 8/12 with a large number of subgroups of white supremacists. Not all behaved violently, and only a handful have been arrested. And there were plenty of counter protesters who also behaved violently, and at least 2 who I know of have been arrested. Kessler's contention was that they were there for peaceful assembly, and it's the police's fault that the violence occurred. There was not 1 defined group who created the violence as you contend. And FWIW, our police chief did eff up on a number of scores.

Here's what's going to happen. Kessler files his permit. If it's denied outright, he goes to federal court. If the city is smart, which they may well not be because the new city council may be disposed to just say no, they'll put significant restrictions on any permit. First, they'll try to move it from downtown where it's nearly impossible to separate the white supremacists from the counter protesters. Probably to McIntire Park where they can put up a barrier in the middle with separate ingress/egress for both groups, 1 from the high school and 1 from the bypass. In addition, they'll curtail bringing anything that can be used as a weapon or projectile into the event - guns, flags, poles, aerosol cans, water bottles... so that the only things folks can use as weapons are their fists and feet. And say that they'll have cops at the entrances inspecting both sides fairly. Kessler won't go for that and will again file suit, but I believe the city has a much better chance of winning on that front this time around.

Last edited:
You don't get it. There were several hundred white supremacists here on 8/12 with a large number of subgroups of white supremacists. Not all behaved violently, and only a handful have been arrested. And there were plenty of counter protesters who also behaved violently, and at least 2 who I know of have been arrested. Kessler's contention was that they were there for peaceful assembly, and it's the police's fault that the violence occurred. There was not 1 defined group who created the violence as you contend. And FWIW, our police chief did eff up on a number of scores.

Here's what's going to happen. Kessler files his permit. If it's denied outright, he goes to federal court. If the city is smart, which they may well not be because the new city council may be disposed to just say no, they'll put significant restrictions on any permit. First, they'll try to move it from downtown where it's nearly impossible to separate the white supremacists from the counter protesters. Probably to McIntire Park where they can put up a barrier in the middle with separate ingress/egress for both groups, 1 from the high school and 1 from the bypass. In addition, they'll curtail bringing anything that can be used as a weapon or projectile into the event - guns, flags, poles, aerosol cans, water bottles... so that the only things folks can use as weapons are their fists and feet. And say that they'll have cops at the entrances inspecting both sides fairly. Kessler won't go for that and will again file suit, but I believe the city has a much better chance of winning on that front this time around.

Dude- there is no way you know as much as RJ on this subject.

No, you didn't read what I said. I said, "If another RW group came to town, I would agree with you 100%."

Which is virtually what you said.

The difference we have is having the same group come with the same leadership. This group, not others, has a history.

Back