• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rejecting words and actions which perpetrate, support or encourage white supremacists

Despite there being footage of him hitting the guy with a blunt instrument. That's called he got his a lot worse than what he gave out, so I'll give him a pass. Even if he had been convicted, he wouldn't have gotten any time - just a small fine. I don't think he had a criminal history. And he got something like $170K from his go fund me page. Because his case got the most press, he made out way better financially than most of the other victims who have gotten nothing.

The white supremacists are pissed because the counter protester combatants are getting next to nothing, whereas the white supremacist combatants are getting absolutely slammed. It may be the 1st time in our history that you're better off as a black defendant than a white defendant.

Alt-Right YouTuber Accused of Luring Autistic Teen

But the couple’s biggest fights were over the fate of their unborn child. Gariepy said he could deliver the child at home and raise it because of his experience working with monkeys in research labs, his wife claimed in court documents. He also allegedly pressured his wife to give the child a Canadian passport, and threatened to take the child away to Canada. When the couple’s relationship soured further, Gariepy wrote on medical intake forms that he would not comply with doctors’ orders “that would keep [him] from transporting my child to my home,” his wife claimed. He then allegedly visited multiple local OBGYN practices and accused them of discrimination when they would not treat him, going so far as to threaten a lawsuit against Duke hospital.

Gariepy claimed in court documents that he was trying to meet with an OBGYN for information on a sleep aid he claimed his wife was using.

On July 10, 2016, the teenager drove to North Carolina to meet Gariepy, she told the psychologist. She and Gariepy had sex—her first intimate experience. She claimed Gariepy wanted to impregnate her and be a “stay-at-home dad.” She told the psychologist that Gariepy was a YouTuber, and that, while she did not know if he made any money, he had promised to give her a cooking show.

Alt right white nationalist anti-immigration youtube personality is an immigrant who tried to have a baby with multiple women to help him stay in the US, including luring a teenager on the autism spectrum that he met online to his home in NC.

Oh, and he was a researcher at Duke for a few years.

He claimed the Duke undergraduate who described his alleged emotional abuse only did so after “discovering that I was a Trump supporter... She knew that by merely making the false allegations in court, the documents would get public, and eventually her false allegations against me would get on the internet.” (In fact, the undergraduate made her allegations to a private investigator, and the court documents would not have appeared on publicly available North Carolina court databases unless the case went to the state’s appellate court, which keeps digital records. The case only went to the appellate court because Gariepy appealed his wife’s full custody win.)

Civil courts, he claimed, are being used to “harass men, to harass white, heterosexual males. Right now I’m currently being treated as a criminal by courts that don’t have the power to put me in jail, but they have the power to ruin my life,” he said of the court case which is currently ongoing because of his persistent appeal.

I admittedly don't watch cable news so I have no idea if they are covering this or how they are doing so.

But I've been getting WaPo breaking news alerts about every bomb (since the second one when they realized it was a pattern). Including the one this morning about the explosion at a FedEx facility. So I wouldn't say it's "no coverage."

Seems pretty horrific.

50 year old white man blindside punches a 19 year old Muslim woman in a Dearborn ER.

I was holding some locks of GW's hair the other day (in plastic) and i realized i had no idea before now what color his hair actually was under the wig. Let's just say he wasn't quite the mayonnaise monster he appears to be.

I was holding some locks of GW's hair the other day (in plastic) and i realized i had no idea before now what color his hair actually was under the wig. Let's just say he wasn't quite the mayonnaise monster he appears to be.

Go on

One last try. Not being able to edit is really causing me some grief today.

EXCLUSIVE: Robert Mercer backed a secretive group that worked with Facebook, Google to target anti-Muslim ads at swing voters

Most Americans have never heard of the far-right neoconservative nonprofit that ran the ads. It has no employees and no volunteers, and it’s run out of the offices of a Washington, D.C. law firm. More importantly, most voters never saw the ads.

And that was by design.

The group, a social welfare organization called Secure America Now, worked hand in hand with Facebook and Google to target their message at voters in swing states who were most likely to be receptive to them.

The final ad pushed in the days before the election:

What does "working with" entail? Like were Google and Facebook aware they were perpetuating these anti-muslim ads?

ETA: apologies, I'm going all millennial and not reading the article right now. The answer is probably in there.

Looking quickly, this is what is there...

For one, as Bloomberg reported last October, internal reports from the ad agency that ran SAN’s digital campaign, and individuals who were involved with the effort, showed that SAN worked with Google and Facebook to target the ads at swing-state voters.

“Facebook advertising salespeople, creative advisers and technical experts competed with sales staff from Alphabet Inc.’s Google for millions in ad dollars from Secure America Now,” the Bloomberg report writes.

The ads weren’t targeted broadly at the American public, but at Americans who would be mostly likely to decide the winners in critical senate races and the campaign for the White House.

Other ads in the campaign highlight this aim. For example, other digital ads run by SAN targeted specific candidates.
“STOP SUPPORT OF TERRORISM. VOTE AGAINST CATHERINE CORTEZ MASTO,” read one ad, referencing the Democratic candidate for Nevada’s open senate seat.

The ads “were viewed millions of times on Facebook and Google,” Bloomberg wrote, citing internal documents. And Facebook went so far as to use Secure America Now as a test case for new technology, sending out 12 different versions of the video to see which was the most popular.

Apparently the story isn't new, just the Mercer backing. This is the Bloomberg article linked within the piece:

Facebook and Google Helped Anti-Refugee Campaign in Swing States

Unlike Russian efforts to secretly influence the 2016 election via social media, this American-led campaign was aided by direct collaboration with employees of Facebook and Google. They helped target the ads to more efficiently reach the intended audiences, according to internal reports from the ad agency that ran the campaign, as well as five people involved with the efforts.

Facebook advertising salespeople, creative advisers and technical experts competed with sales staff from Alphabet Inc.’s Google for millions in ad dollars from Secure America Now, the conservative, nonprofit advocacy group whose campaign included a mix of anti-Hillary Clinton and anti-Islam messages, the people said.

Google and Facebook, similarly, worked closely with Secure America Now as it spent several million dollars on election-season ads, according to the people who worked on the campaign. On June 16 of last year, for instance, sales managers from Google’s elections team hunkered down in its New York offices with officials from Secure America Now and Harris Media to talk about how to improve their digital ad campaigns.

In the months that followed, Secure America Now targeted swing-state voters not only with its faux-tourism videos, but also ads that linked Democratic Senate candidates with Syrian refugees and terrorists. “STOP SUPPORT OF TERRORISM. VOTE AGAINST CATHERINE CORTEZ MASTO,” stated one ad targeting the Nevada Democratic Senate candidate who eventually won the race. “YOU SAW THE THREAT. NOW VOTE TO PROTECT NEVADA,” declared another ad.

Back