• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rejecting words and actions which perpetrate, support or encourage white supremacists

Not that it matters since all the national brouhaha and threats got him to step down, but that’s not an accurate representation of what he said. He’s an 80 year old man who made a tone deaf remark about her and his teeth. I gather that he was on a short leash for other tone deaf remarks, however.

Weird to see this story. Mayor is a long time family friend and neighbor for many years. Commissioner under fire is the father of one of my brother’s best friends in HS.

I never liked the “Grandpa doesn’t know any better” defense.

Not that it matters since all the national brouhaha and threats got him to step down, but that’s not an accurate representation of what he said. He’s an 80 year old man who made a tone deaf remark about her and his teeth. I gather that he was on a short leash for other tone deaf remarks, however.

Weird to see this story. Mayor is a long time family friend and neighbor for many years. Commissioner under fire is the father of one of my brother’s best friends in HS.

It’s interesting to see what you consider “meh” and what you consider getting riled up about.

I never liked the “Grandpa doesn’t know any better” defense.

If your age makes it so you can help but say inflammatory racist shit, then your age should be reason to not hold office representing people who aren’t presumably all old geriatric uncontrollable racists.

Come on man. This is a BS excuse. He talked about the "master race" and he has spewed racist rhetoric before.

Yeah, telling a black woman that he's a member of the "master race" goes well beyond just being an old white fart who doesn't know any better. He does have a history of making such comments, including, according to a NY Times story, questioning why Martin Luther King has an official holiday, and saying that Robert E. Lee was "a wonderful part of American history." The mayor of the town has said that they're happy he resigned, and said "the city needs to be represented by an individual who doesn't seek division."

ELC, what does the “master race” have to do with teeth?

You are misrepresenting what he said. He made a joke about her teeth and his teeth. They are both gap toothed. Gapped teeth have long been considered a reason to label somebody stupid (or promiscuous as in Chaucer’s time with the Wife of Bath). He made a joke, one that he has probably told for many years, about how they both had gaps in their teeth making them both part of the master race. Yes, both the black lady and himself were part of the master race— hardly staunch nazi ideology. It’s a groaner of a joke, but there was nothing racist about that particular comment at all. Nor is there anything racist about thinking maybe MLK doesn’t deserve a holiday. People gripe about presidents day, Columbus day and turkey day every year. But the unwanted national attention, predictable death threats from morons, and a couple other dumb comments he made sealed his fate. Doubt he will miss the whatever pittance the county was going to pay him for two more months (if it’s even a paid position), and worth it to resign to keep people off his lawn (or worse yet, to keep people off his kid’s lawn who has the same name and nothing to do with this).

Pretty shitty to put Dr. King in the same category as Columbus.

Lol at the idea that bitching about MLK has no racial motivation. Did he ever bitch about those other holidays you mentioned?

You are misrepresenting what he said. He made a joke about her teeth and his teeth. They are both gap toothed. Gapped teeth have long been considered a reason to label somebody stupid (or promiscuous as in Chaucer’s time with the Wife of Bath). He made a joke, one that he has probably told for many years, about how they both had gaps in their teeth making them both part of the master race. Yes, both the black lady and himself were part of the master race— hardly staunch nazi ideology. It’s a groaner of a joke, but there was nothing racist about that particular comment at all. Nor is there anything racist about thinking maybe MLK doesn’t deserve a holiday. People gripe about presidents day, Columbus day and turkey day every year. But the unwanted national attention, predictable death threats from morons, and a couple other dumb comments he made sealed his fate. Doubt he will miss the whatever pittance the county was going to pay him for two more months (if it’s even a paid position), and worth it to resign to keep people off his lawn (or worse yet, to keep people off his kid’s lawn who has the same name and nothing to do with this).

I mean of you get rid of a few hundred statements by David Duke and Steve King (IA), they'd be fine guys.

At what point did "master race" appear in the Canterbury Tales? It's been a while. must have missed that part.

lol

46793826_10156922406778069_6187179442503155712_n.jpg

https://247sports.com/college/flori...ed-by-FSU-president-John-Thrasher--125335033/

Back