• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rejecting words and actions which perpetrate, support or encourage white supremacists

What, pray tell, is "my ilk"?

Those that say they are on the right side of the line that divides us from the growing contingent of white supremacists in this country but haven't turned around to start combatting that contingent.

For years those on the right have been focused on their battles with the left while ignoring (at best, encouraging at worst) the racism and nationalism eating their party from within. Now finally confronted with it, you and others have attempted to downplay, ignore, or deflect from the problem rather than turning around for a second and trying to help us eradicate it.

I know you think you are protecting our collective rights to free speech by advocating for their right to spew vile hatred, but you aren't. Believe it or not, we are capable as a society of correctly deciding that certain speech has no place in our public discourse. This falls clearly into that category. Given your posting history it's hard to take your objections completely at face value, though I am trying.

Last edited:
what happens if Trump drops the act and begins to actively solicit support from the alt right and especially militias

Always good to see the historians of the Tunnels Left checking in.

So if the primary cause of the Civil War was slavery, then the answer to this question should be simple:

If the Southern states had remained in the Union would Lincoln have mobilized the US Army to invade the South in order to abolish slavery? Yes or No?

It doesn't matter what we think. It matters what people who wear robes professionally think. And they uniformly say we have to allow these rallies.

the fruits of southern education about the war of northern aggression, folks

Some talking points:
-Union shot first
-Southerners were the real American patriots standing up for their beliefs, just like the patriots that stood up to England
-States' rights
-Heritage, not hate

So if the primary cause of the Civil War was slavery, then the answer to this question should be simple:

If the Southern states had remained in the Union would Lincoln have mobilized the US Army to invade the South in order to abolish slavery? Yes or No?

Probably not. Who cares?

Hmmm..."facts." You seem pretty certain that your "facts" are the correct "facts."

I have a different set of facts...the Confederate's own articles of Secession. Each state clearly and overwhelming declared slavery as their reason for secession. I choose to listen to what the actual states who were involved said in 1861 vs internet poster 2017.

Like Trump, those declarations are to be taken seriously, not literally.

probably not, considering the federal army was pretty unprepared for wholesale treason

It doesn't matter what we think. It matters what people who wear robes professionally think. And they uniformly say we have to allow these rallies.

This is what I'm talking about. Better to hide behind the robes of the Supreme Court then come out and have to actually argue your beliefs.

Of course it matters what we think. Those judges answer ultimately not to the Constitution but to us.

That's the wrong question. If the South didn't fight to maintain slavery, they wouldn't have needed federal intervention to end it.

You're basically making the point that slavery was important enough not to end on its own.

I'm not sure what the point of your question is given that we did see Kennedy federalize the national guard in order to institute desegregation.

That's the wrong question. If the South didn't fight to maintain slavery, they wouldn't have needed federal intervention to end it.

You're basically making the point that slavery was important enough not to end on its own.

I'm not sure what the point of your question is given that we did see Kennedy federalize the national guard in order to institute desegregation.

LOL... I really want to sit in on your class one day

Totally irrelevant.

Regardless of how want to rationalize your support of the confederacy, the truth is they seceded over slavery. Even after the Civil War was lost, the powers that were in the South put up laws to disenfranchise former slaves. Doing anything to show respect for the confederacy is simply supporting traitors and slavery.

You can dance all you like, but you can't change history. You rationalize and try to justify being traitors, but it won't change anything.

Well since RJ has decreed it the "truth" it must be so.

You can dance all you like, but you can't change history.

History like US Grant was the last president to own slaves??

Last edited:

I'll bite

The war was not fought to end slavery, it was fought to preserve the Union. The primary and most immediate cause of the Civil War was not slavery but the succession of the Southern states and the formation of the Confederacy

But, what did those states claim as the cause of succession?

In South Carolina's Declaration of the Immediate Causes Which Induce and Justify the Secession of South Carolina from the Federal Union, it noted two main grievances:
1. an increasing hostility on the part of the non-slaveholding States to the institution of slavery
2. Northern states had failed to fulfill their constitutional obligations by interfering with the return of fugitive slaves to bondage

Mississippi's statement of succession:
"Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery — the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of the commerce of the earth. A blow at slavery is a blow at commerce and civilization."

while the war was not fought to end slavery (as your strawman suggests), it was most assuredly fought OVER slavery.

Junebug, I think Republicans have let white nationalism fester within the party for a long time. I heard a commentator on NPR On Point say Republicans need "chemotherapy" to rid their party of the cancer of white supremacy, but they aren't willing to do it.

You willingly say that you disagree with white supremacy. Two questions: Is white supremacy a problem in the Republican party? If so, what do you think the party should do about it?

I'll bite

The war was not fought to end slavery, it was fought to preserve the Union. The primary and most immediate cause of the Civil War was not slavery but the succession of the Southern states and the formation of the Confederacy

But, what did those states claim as the cause of succession?

In South Carolina's Declaration of the Immediate Causes Which Induce and Justify the Secession of South Carolina from the Federal Union, it noted two main grievances:
1. an increasing hostility on the part of the non-slaveholding States to the institution of slavery
2. Northern states had failed to fulfill their constitutional obligations by interfering with the return of fugitive slaves to bondage

Mississippi's statement of succession:
"Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery — the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of the commerce of the earth. A blow at slavery is a blow at commerce and civilization."

while the war was not fought to end slavery (as your strawman suggests), it was most assuredly fought OVER slavery.

SHHHHHHHHHHHH. actual historical documents don't matter...

This is what I'm talking about. Better to hide behind the robes of the Supreme Court then come out and have to actually argue your beliefs.

Of course it matters what we think. Those judges answer ultimately not to the Constitution but to us.

No, federal judges answer ultimately to the Constitution, not us. That's why the system was set up that way - so we don't have a tyranny of the majority. And the white supremacists aren't hiding behind the robes of the SCOTUS. They're feeling emboldened these days and are coming out to argue their effed up beliefs.

Back