• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Renovations to the Joel?

Wake might be better off is Hatch's successor picked Ron's successor. Hatch is in his ninth year at Wake. He is the first non-Baptist to serve as president of WFU.

Not sure what difference Hatch's religious views make especially since Wake has been unaffiliated since '86. Regardless, we need an AD who takes an interest in athletics. Academics should always be #1 but we're not going to get it from guys who went to places like Wheaton.

He said it's a very lofty goal. We all know how high of a mountain climb it would be.

One Sweet Sixteen in the last 18 years. That might be a more realistic place to start.

No incoming freshmen had even been born the last time WF made a Sweet Sixteen. (Other than the one in 2004, that is.)

The bottom line is that in today's world of big-time college athletics (football & basketball), WF is badly overmatched trying to remain competitive while playing in one of the five power conferences. It's probably going to get worse. I will be surprised if Dave Clawson has a single winning season in the next five years.

Jim Grobe spoiled us with that three-year run from 2006 thru 2008. That was...literally...a once in a lifetime thing for WF in its ACC history. You won't see it again.

RAAAA. Old People!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol, bkf is just miserable.

One Sweet Sixteen in the last 18 years. That might be a more realistic place to start.

No incoming freshmen had even been born the last time WF made a Sweet Sixteen. (Other than the one in 2004, that is.)

The bottom line is that in today's world of big-time college athletics (football & basketball), WF is badly overmatched trying to remain competitive while playing in one of the five power conferences. It's probably going to get worse. I will be surprised if Dave Clawson has a single winning season in the next five years.

Jim Grobe spoiled us with that three-year run from 2006 thru 2008. That was...literally...a once in a lifetime thing for WF in its ACC history. You won't see it again.

With BC, Syracuse and Duke on our schedule every year plus 4 non-conference games that are only as hard as you schedule them, Wake should easily start posting winning seasons by year three of Clawson's stay.

Speak for yourself.

Regardless, we need an AD who takes an interest in athletics .

Frankly, Hatch hasn't shown he's all that interested in athletics either. Which is why I'm scared of him hiring Ron's successor.

So....the plan is to schedule 4 Gardner-Webb's each year and try to squeeze out 3 ACC wins (which won't be easy, in itself) to squeak your way to 7 wins?

Is that what we are aspiring to accomplish these days? Sounds exciting......

Better than your throw in the towel.

Not true. Thomas Hearn was Presbyterian, as is Hatch.

Wake might be better off is Hatch's successor picked Ron's successor. Hatch is in his ninth year at Wake. He is the first non-Baptist to serve as president of WFU.

Metamucil_OrangeSmooth_72doses_Hero.jpg

Lemme guess, BKF, you also said we'd never make an Orange Bowl? The same way you're saying we'll never make another Final Four, an easier task by comparison?

And anyway, once in a lifetime events are rmeasured relative to whose lifetime you're talking about. Maybe it's true that these things won't happen again during whatever is left of your lifetime. That doesn't mean they won't happen.

Much like with RJ, people let their personal takes on bkf obscure his point. While I won't say "never" on anything, I do look around the ACC basketball accomplishments and see a lot of teams who've been to a 16/8/FF since we have. And considering the last time WF was in a Final Four, we had Chappel and Packer in uniform, got knocked out by John Wooden, and JFK was in the White House... well you get the idea.

So....the plan is to schedule 4 Gardner-Webb's each year and try to squeeze out 3 ACC wins (which won't be easy, in itself) to squeak your way to 7 wins?

That's actually Cutcliffe's plan at dook....

Your whole argument was that seeing three winnings seasons in a row was a once in a lifetime kind of thing.

I'm simply pointing out is much easier to post winning seasons in football now than it has ever been for Wake. You don't have to schedule 4 Gardner Webbs. But we should fill the non-conference slate with Rice, Tulane, Army and the like.

Personally I would be pretty happy posting 7 win seasons with the hope that we catch lightening in the bottle occasionally.

Back