• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rep. Loretta Sanchez (D-Calif.): NSA revelations only "the tip of the iceberg"

BobStackFan4Life

Reaction score
Rep. Loretta Sanchez (D-Calif.): NSA revelations only "the tip of the iceberg"

Rep. Loretta Sanchez (D-Calif.) said lawmakers learned "significantly more" about the spy programs at the National Security Agency (NSA) during a briefing on Tuesday with counterterrorism officials.

"What we learned in there," Sanchez said, "is significantly more than what is out in the media today."

Lawmakers are barred from revealing the classified information they receive in intelligence briefings, and Sanchez was careful not to specify what members might have learned about the NSA's work.

"I can't speak to what we learned in there, and I don't know if there are other leaks, if there's more information somewhere, if somebody else is going to step up, but I will tell you that I believe it's the tip of the iceberg," she said.
The briefing was meant to convince lawmakers that the surveillance programs are legal and necessary in fighting counterterrorism — an argument President Obama and other administration officials have made.

Lawmakers demanded the briefings after revelations last week about the NSA's collection of phone records and Internet data, and Sanchez said lawmakers were "astounded" by what they heard.

"I think it's just broader than most people even realize, and I think that's, in one way, what astounded most of us, too," Sanchez said of the briefing.
http://thehill.com/video/house/305047-dem-rep-lawmakers-learned-significantly-more-about-surveillance-programs-in-nsa-briefing

So basically all the tin foil hat people were right? They are going to have to release some of that information. Can't just give the public a cliff hanger like that and then sweep it under the rug.

Didn't we just have a discussion about it being healthy to have some fear of the US government? I seem to remember several posters mocking anyone who had some level of healthy fear or respect for the immense powers of our government. This is going to get worse before it gets better.

So basically all the tin foil hat people were right? They are going to have to release some of that information. Can't just give the public a cliff hanger like that and then sweep it under the rug.

Didn't we just have a discussion about it being healthy to have some fear of the US government? I seem to remember several posters mocking anyone who had some level of healthy fear or respect for the immense powers of our government. This is going to get worse before it gets better.

So it's mind-control then? Should we turn our WiFi off at home? [/trolling]

I know you are goofing around but let's be realistic. The legislators were astounded by what they heard. That is not good.

Pretty much. Republicans have no room to condemn for the most part. Democrats have no room to defend.

Libertarians win this battle.

Pretty much. Republicans have no room to condemn for the most part. Democrats have no room to defend.

Libertarians win this battle.

As bad as the snooping part and Snowden's actions to bring attention to it are, the most depressing part is the polling. 'Pubs think it's an outrage and Dems think it's no big deal. Seems like they're really aren't that many true conservatives and liberals, but a ton of people with mindless allegiance to the GOP or Dems at all costs.

Without more specifics, I reserve judgement until I actually hear some details.

Kind of like on the old board: "I know something, and you would be amazed if I told you, but I really can't say anything!!!!!"

1. That was a specific rumor.
2. I indicated on page 3 that I was just repeating something I saw on the other board. Nobody had mentioned a major rumor on this board that I knew alot of people would be interested in, so I posted it.
3. It still sounds unlikely that he is going to play next year from what I understand from others.

Last edited:
For gosh sake its a spy agency. What they do is spy and everyone knows it. Its what they have always done. I really can't believe folks are up in arms about this.

For gosh sake its a spy agency. What they do is spy and everyone knows it. Its what they have always done. I really can't believe folks are up in arms about this.

Some folks think these programs violate the First Amendment and Fourth Amendment. And mass government surveillance of citizens creeps out people. What little we know about these programs already looks bad, and if it's really just "the tip of the iceberg" it's gonna look worse.

Some folks think these programs violate the First Amendment and Fourth Amendment. And mass government surveillance of citizens creeps out people. What little we know about these programs already looks bad, and if it's really just "the tip of the iceberg" it's gonna look worse.

You want to be safe or be sorry after the Chinese or whoever set off the next war?

Kind of like on the old board: "I know something, and you would be amazed if I told you, but I really can't say anything!!!!!"

Therein seems to lie the problem. We won't hear specifics because we're not allowed to. And Sanchez and others will give us a big teaser and imply that the NSA snooping is off the charts, but I don't see her or anybody else tripping over themselves to craft new legislation to limit the snooping. And who is going to be able to take the NSA to court to challenge their snooping if everything is classified?

PM, please.

I think a better question is how would this not be a violation of the 4th Amendment? I guess you could argue people shouldn't have objective expectations of privacy on the internet, but as far as things like email and what you do on your own computer I think most would subjectively argue they do.

Back