• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Replacing HVAC system

I hate it for you we just went through a similar ordeal. 20+ year old system, needed new inducer motor, $800 quote to repair. Ultimately got quotes to replace and spent the money on a new system. I doubt we will be here for the long haul, but figure 7-10 years would get some payback and won't have to worry about the system crapping out in the heat of the summer.

We are in CLT but would be happy to share any info on our quotes and system if they would be helpful.

Related question, nothing urgent but would be good to know. We bought a house in September that is heated by oil on the main level and is heated/cooled by electricity on the upper level. I think the upper level was an addition, hence the second unit. Come to think of it, I don't know how the main level is cooled (aside from the cold air falling from upstairs), we've only been there during the fall/winter, so our main concern so far has been heat.

Anyway, when one of them goes, is there any reason to continue having two units, or is it a realistic possibility to somehow join the two duct systems together and have the entire house heated/cooled by a bigger unit?

The possibility of joining is dependent on the current design of the two duct systems. Is one run through a basement and the other in the attic? If so, then a big duct would have to run between them - right through your living areas.

If the heating and cooling needs of the two levels are different, it might be smarter (cost effective) to keep them separate. Then run what you need when you need it. Maybe more heat downstairs in the winter, more A/C upstairs in the summer.

Anyway, when one of them goes, is there any reason to continue having two units, or is it a realistic possibility to somehow join the two duct systems together and have the entire house heated/cooled by a bigger unit?

Two smaller units is usually more efficient. The heating/cooling needs differ quite a bit between most 1st and 2nd floors.

Due to extenuating circumstances, I do not think I am going to be able to get natural gas installed into my house unless they come the long way in and they would probably be around 5K (includes the new tank less water heater & fireplace connection).

What I'd like to know is are the newer all electrical heat/ac units very efficient or as efficient as their gas counterparts? I really only know folks with gas.

What I'd like to know is are the newer all electrical heat/ac units very efficient or as efficient as their gas counterparts? I really only know folks with gas.

When my unit was installed, back in 2008, electric units were more efficient down to an outdoor temperature of 39 degrees Fahrenheit. Anything lower, and gas was more efficient. Since you live in upstate SC, I doubt you'd have very many bitterly cold nights during the winter, so you probably wont notice much of a difference.

^ mine switches over from electric to gas based on disparity between outside temp and desired temp. It's set at something like 35-40 degree difference.

Recommendations for a new heat pump and installation in Winston?

Piedmont Sheet Metal. Call and ask for Connie Cook (owner) or Todd Willard. Family owned for over 50 years. Also, big Deacon fans.

**I'm simply a very satisfied customer of 20 years and have zero stake in the business.

Would also appreciate any help with A/C units, as ours just kicked the bucket. We have a home in Ardmore and would love a recommendation. Thanks, y'all

Piedmont Sheet Metal. Call and ask for Connie Cook (owner) or Todd Willard. Family owned for over 50 years. Also, big Deacon fans.

**I'm simply a very satisfied customer of 20 years and have zero stake in the business.

I've not had to do a full replacement yet (though I know it is coming soon), but I've had Piedmont Sheet Metal out for service calls in the past and would certainly recommend them as well.

be weary of any solution that states "you need to replace the entire thing." hvac folks are as crooked as financial advisors.

edited to say as well as many other industries

Have been very satisfied with Aspire Heating and Cooling. They replaced full system in old house and have serviced unit in new house, have found and repaired things that other companies (through home warranty) didn't or couldn't fix.

They are great to work with.

I am having a 2 ton 14 SEER unit installed this week. It will be a Trane for $5200 or a Rheem for $4800. The installer comes highly recommended. Both have 10 year warranties and $400 is still $400. Is there any reason to go with the Trane?

I am having a 2 ton 14 SEER unit installed this week. It will be a Trane for $5200 or a Rheem for $4800. The installer comes highly recommended. Both have 10 year warranties and $400 is still $400. Is there any reason to go with the Trane?

For that little of a difference, I'd go with Trane. Per CU, Trane has an 8/10 reliability (the highest rated brand) rating vs 6/10 for Rheem.

For that little of a difference, I'd go with Trane. Per CU, Trane has an 8/10 reliability (the highest rated brand) rating vs 6/10 for Rheem.

Yup. Buying cheaper and depending on a good warranty is great for items you don't use often or luxery/leisure items. Not the way to go for something that will potentially make your life miserable and cost you more than the $400 saved in hotels if it fails during a really uncomfortable part of the year.

Back