• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Report: Kavanaugh won’t commit to recusal from Trump/Mueller related matters

Someone smarter than me probably already made this point on this giant thread. If so, Haas. Whenever I encounter a situation where two people have opposite stories and one of them has to be lying, I generally try to figure out who has most to gain by telling the lie and getting people to believe it. That has to weigh in my analysis of which person is more likely to be telling the truth.

Here it seems to me that Ford has almost nothing to gain, and a hell of lot to lose (and has already lost) by telling this story. If she is lying, and is believed, Kav goes away but another conservative justice gets nominated in his place. While the time is running short now, that was not the case back in the summer when she first contacted her congressperson. (ETA: this morning, three affidavits have been released stating she told this story to others in 2013, 2016, and 2017). She has lost her privacy, has had to move her family due to death threats, and probably has many years of such vilification in her future. Unless you are a lectro-style believer in some deep state conspiracy nonsense, her life is measurably worse for telling this story publicly.

Kavanaugh, on the other hand? If he is lying and is believed, he gets to live the dream that he has been groomed for his entire adult life.

Last edited:
It's a variant of this historic gif where a girl receives a face full of hot dogs. How the vibrating Khadaffi and the gingham background got included, I'm not sure.

giphy.gif

I thought it was David Hasselhoff.

Completely agree, 923.

Can someone explain why Kavanaugh released his calendar/what it’s supposed to prove?

Clearly because there's no entry for RAPE PARTY, it didn't happen.

Raises some questions though - he sure gets grounded a lot. And he sure parties with Judge a lot. Things that make you go hmmmm.

There are plenty of scenarios where a woman accusing a "powerful man" stands to gain quite a bit from an accusation.

Based upon the information presented so far, what does Professor Ford have to gain from making this accusation?

Seems like a fair reparation for centuries of misogyny, amirite?

no, you're just a phony who hides his biases behind an idea of a pure legal system despite it being populated with, you know, actual human beings

I mean, yeah. For literal centuries, powerful white men could take advantage of women whenever they wanted and there was no recourse for women. If not dismissing a woman's allegation of sexual assault out of hand is "putting a thumb on the scale," I think we should put several thumbs on that scale.

Junebug is the perfect GOP man - Willing to say and do anything to protect and defend powerful rich white men because of their fool's hope of one day being a powerful rich white man.

Yep, one douche loses a job versus billions of women over the centuries being abused.

What's so wonderful is how open your mind is.

As I've said earlier, Dems should be planning to expand the Supreme Court in 2021. If they win the WH and Senate, there's nothing the GOP can do about it. It's perfectly legal and logical.

They will appoint another conservative judge, just hopefully not a piece of shit conservative judge, why is that so hard to understand.

Not saying which party I believe, but I'm always surprised when someone says she has nothing to gain. 20-30 years ago probably so, but in this political hostile environment with social media craziness where she will be hailed a liberal progressive heroine if she blocks Kavanaugh (or even if she doesn't but almost does) insuring lifetime employment at any of 100+ liberal bastions around this country along with any book deal, blog opportunities, etc. is not what I would call nothing to gain.

Back