• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Republicans for POTUS, 2016 Edition

I'd actually be OK with criminal penalties for displaying hate symbols that are visible from public property. (I understand that would be considered unconstitutional).

Like Tar Hole logos? Washington Redskin helmets? Red Stars? Che Guevara pictures? Where do you draw the line, and who decides what is a hate symbol and for whom?

In Junebug's world, someone who puts an "I HATE NIGGERS" sign in their yard deserves more free speech protection than someone who says "Fuck you" to a cop.

In Junebug's world, someone who puts an "I HATE NIGGERS" sign in their yard deserves more free speech protection than someone who says "Fuck you" to a cop.

If by "Junebug's world" you mean "the United States of America," you're right.

You can put up whatever racist signs you want. Signs on private property are never going to constitute fighting words.

Is a "fuck the cops" sign as equally protected as "I hate niggers" sign?

I'd actually be OK with criminal penalties for displaying hate symbols that are visible from public property. (I understand that would be considered unconstitutional).

Germany prohibits the display of the swastika or other Nazi flags, as do some other countries. From what I've read, some right wing groups in Europe will display the stars and bars as an alternative. Maybe Vad can comment on that.

Germany prohibits the display of the swastika or other Nazi flags, as do some other countries. From what I've read, some right wing groups in Europe will display the stars and bars as an alternative. Maybe Vad can comment on that.

This is a really interesting piece that was in the WaPo a few months ago about the confederate flag being flown in other countries, notably in Italy, Brazil, France, Spain, Eastern Europe, and Germany, where civil war reenactments have been becoming popular in recent years. This quote sums up its use in Germany:

"Bizarrely, American Civil War reenactions have become popular in Germany, with significant numbers of Germans preferring to fight on the Confederate side. "I think some of the Confederate reenactors in Germany are acting out Nazi fantasies of racial superiority," Wolfgang Hochbruck, a professor of American Studies at the University of Freiburg, once told American journalist Tony Horwitz. "They are obsessed with your war because they cannot celebrate their own vanquished racists"."

If by "Junebug's world" you mean "the United States of America," you're right.

You can put up whatever racist signs you want. Signs on private property are never going to constitute fighting words.

According to nine lawyers who are not representative of American Society or something (to borrow from Scalia).

I get that it's a pretty scary concept for rich white males to entertain the thought that maybe the rich white males who wrote the constitution over 200 years ago, and the mostly rich white male lawyers who have interpreted it since, didn't get it exactly right.

Says the rich white male.

"Members are privately discussing a list of demands to make to McCarthy. Conservatives want slots on top committees, assurances from leaders they will get input on bills before they go to the floor, and ‎a promise Republicans will follow through on pledges to dismantle President Barack Obama's policies."

I'm disgusted by politicians making pledges (Norquist, this, etc.) to anything other than the Constitution, the USA, and their constituents. Do your fucking job. Represent your constituency, be selfless, put solutions above your re-election angle or stop taking an oath of office.

I get that it's a pretty scary concept for rich white males to entertain the thought that maybe the rich white males who wrote the constitution over 200 years ago, and the mostly rich white male lawyers who have interpreted it since, didn't get it exactly right.

yikes

Back