• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Republicans for POTUS, 2016 Edition

By the way, the same rule applies to many state and federal statutes. Just this year I have dealt with one case involving an undocumented alien's claims to workers' comp benefits for on the job injuries and another case involving claims by an undocumented alien for minimum wage/overtime violations under the FLSA. In both cases, the law is settled that undocumented aliens are protected.

Interesting. That very issue was one of the final essay questions in my employment law: wages and benefits class a couple years back

u1kWEBp.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, the undocumented and others are protected by EP, but that does not apply to visa seekers overseas. If a president wanted to shut down visa issuance in Lahore or Riyadh, for example, he could do so. I would think that legally, it would be a bit more of a stretch to shut down visa issuance to nationals from specific countries (for example, somebody in Saudi Arabia goes to Turkey to get their visa instead of Riyadh). I would think that that MIGHT require an act of Congress.

I don't know how such a policy could apply to visa extensions for those already in the US. Visitor visa extensions could be denied pretty easily since they are entirely discretionary, but H, L, F, and J visas (the most common) are another matter.

I won't even touch on the slippery slope elements of such a policy, as they are pretty self-explanatory.

Interesting. That very issue was one of the final essay questions in my employment law: wages and benefits class a couple years back

Employers often think they can just hire undocumented aliens, treat them like shit, and then fire them when they complain. Legally, that's just flat incorrect. Practically, however, they are often right insofar as undocumented aliens frequently want to do everything they can to fly under the radar, and the ones that don't face the reality that the type of employer that is willing to hire them isn't the type that is going to be able to pay a judgment anyway. The only real hammer the employees have is that the employer can be subject to criminal prosecution for hiring the undocumented alien in the first place, so if he complaint gets escalated, the employer often wants to make it go away as quickly as possible.

Fuckin' a, Trump. The guy has gone full retard. Regardless of it's constitutionality, what a fucking stupid stance to take. The right wing nuts are eating this shit up and it's embarrassing. I really hope he gets a clue and doesn't end up on the ticket.

Yes, the undocumented and others are protected by EP, but that does not apply to visa seekers overseas. If a president wanted to shut down visa issuance in Lahore or Riyadh, for example, he could do so. I would think that legally, it would be a bit more of a stretch to shut down visa issuance to nationals from specific countries (for example, somebody in Saudi Arabia goes to Turkey to get their visa instead of Riyadh). I would think that that MIGHT require an act of Congress.

I don't know how such a policy could apply to visa extensions for those already in the US. Visitor visa extensions could be denied pretty easily since they are entirely discretionary, but H, L, F, and J visas (the most common) are another matter.

I won't even touch on the slippery slope elements of such a policy, as they are pretty self-explanatory.

Sure. That doesn't get to "all Muslims banned from entering the country regardless of VISA application, tourism, or even American Muslims" is constitutional. I don't think anyone is arguing that the VISA process can't be changed

http://www.vox.com/2015/12/1/9822452/muslim-islamophobia-trump

Some really sick and twisted stuff here. This is all Fox News/right wing extremist radio, imo.

I will grant that right-wingers are the bigger problem here, but it minimizes what is going on -- and ultimately impedes rectification -- to portray this as a right-wing phenomenon. From the article:

This is a problem that includes the left. HBO host Bill Maher frequently rants against Islam and its adherents, saying, for example, that "vast numbers of Muslims want humans to die for holding a different idea" and share "too much in common with ISIS."

CNN has promoted a kind of "he said, she said" conception of Islam, in which it is valid and worthwhile to debate whether Muslims make for inferior people and societies, thus mainstreaming more overt bigotry. Host Chris Cuomo, for example, called Muslims "unusually violent" and "unusually barbaric."

Sure and Maher is rightfully called out on a regular basis by left wingers for his vitriolic statements they believe to be intentionally inflammatory while based in prejudices

I will grant that right-wingers are the bigger problem here, but it minimizes what is going on -- and ultimately impedes rectification -- to portray this as a right-wing phenomenon. From the article:

This is a problem that includes the left. HBO host Bill Maher frequently rants against Islam and its adherents, saying, for example, that "vast numbers of Muslims want humans to die for holding a different idea" and share "too much in common with ISIS."

CNN has promoted a kind of "he said, she said" conception of Islam, in which it is valid and worthwhile to debate whether Muslims make for inferior people and societies, thus mainstreaming more overt bigotry. Host Chris Cuomo, for example, called Muslims "unusually violent" and "unusually barbaric."

Yes, it's pretty much just the right wing....and Bill Maher. I don't typically associate CNN with the left (as I know some misguided folks do), but agree they are also to blame.

The difference is a) neither of those guys is running for POTUS. B) Even if they were, you'd be hard-pressed to make a case that they'd get the same kind of support from the left that Trump is getting from the right.

http://www.vox.com/2015/12/1/9822452/muslim-islamophobia-trump

Some really sick and twisted stuff here. This is all Fox News/right wing extremist radio, imo.

Rubio to Obama, 'Show Me Evidence of Discrimination Against Muslims'

From the Vox article:

In one bizarre segment, during an interview with Muslim-American human rights lawyer Arsalan Iftikhar, CNN host Don Lemon interrupted him mid-sentence to ask, for no obvious reason at all, "Do you support ISIS?"

Don Lemon, man.

I sincerely wonder whether Trump is using this as an opportunity to tank so he doesn't have to be President. Probably not, but the though has crossed my mind more than once.

I sincerely wonder whether Trump is using this as an opportunity to tank so he doesn't have to be President. Probably not, but the though has crossed my mind more than once.

If so he's using the wrong transcript.

Back