• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Republicans outpacing Democrats in early voting in key states, NBC News finds

A buddy of mine's Dad is headed to assisted living (he is 82) but is going dying and screaming because he is worried about getting his mail. He finally came clean with his kid and said he would have moved earlier but was scared he would not get his mail. Was also worried about how his phone would be "transferred".

Hard to believe our greatest generation is so scared of technology. Even the kind where you fill out a card at the post office to have your mail forwarded.

Sincere, off-topic questions: What coping issues do you think you might have when/if you reach 82? What may scare you? Have you ever watched a loved one grow old and lose her or his ability to deal with tasks you find simple and easy (not loss of ability due to dementia)? Do you not think it, in some form, will happen to you one day?

Sincere, off-topic questions: What coping issues do you think you might have when/if you reach 82? What may scare you? Have you ever watched a loved one grow old and lose her or his ability to deal with tasks you find simple and easy (not loss of ability due to dementia)? Do you not think it, in some form, will happen to you one day?

Gonna be hard to cope if we still suck in hoops then but I am used to it so it won't scare me.

Seriously though this guy was a doctor with a daily routine that never changed even though the world around him constantly changed. I am open to all change and being 54 have seen a lot of it. If you refuse to adapt early in life, you're gonna get left behind. That's what so many of these rural and hick Pubs don't want to accept. They want life to be just like it was 50 years ago so that's why we get this clown as Prez.

By all means mail away with your vote but don't bitch when there are fewer and fewer mailboxes just like there used to be thousands of phone booths.

Getting old scares me but I am not going to run away or ignore technological advances like my Dad did (no internet and cell phone for him, but life is just how he wants it). My Mom is different and wants to continue to learn as I do. Sure I am scared of getting old who isn't? But its all about how you accept it.

Last edited:
A buddy of mine's Dad is headed to assisted living (he is 82) but is going dying and screaming because he is worried about getting his mail. He finally came clean with his kid and said he would have moved earlier but was scared he would not get his mail. Was also worried about how his phone would be "transferred".

Hard to believe our greatest generation is so scared of technology. Even the kind where you fill out a card at the post office to have your mail forwarded.

It may be semantics really, but your buddies dad, if he's currently 82, is a member of the silent generation, being a 5-8 years too young to be part of the greatest generation

Gonna be hard to cope if we still suck in hoops then but I am used to it so it won't scare me.

Seriously though this guy was a doctor with a daily routine that never changed even though the world around him constantly changed. I am open to all change and being 54 have seen a lot of it. If you refuse to adapt early in life, you're gonna get left behind. That's what so many of these rural and hick Pubs don't want to accept. They want life to be just like it was 50 years ago so that's why we get this clown as Prez.

By all means mail away with your vote but don't bitch when there are fewer and fewer mailboxes just like there used to be thousands of phone booths.

Getting old scares me but I am not going to run away or ignore technological advances like my Dad did (no internet and cell phone for him, but life is just how he wants it). My Mom is different and wants to continue to learn as I do. Sure I am scared of getting old who isn't? But its all about how you accept it.

Thank you for your response. In my opinion, being open to change is a good attitude and may ward off the inevitable mental and physical decline for some period of time, but the decline comes to all of us. Your Dad's attitude that his "life is just how he wants it" is a good one, too, and likely (hopefully) suits him well. Technological "advances" can be beneficial or harmful, and they are frequently distractions from personal human interactions. Good luck to you, your Dad, and your Mom.

it is interesting to watch how grandparents on different sides -- only a couple years different in age -- react to technology and change

one side embraces it and wants to have newest gadgets and learn the newest software, the other totally panics when trying to figure anything out beyond email

Back