• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Republicans want to massively cut Social Security benefits

That's a good way to turn the middle class against Republicans.

Or a positive way to try and reduce the size of government, be fiscally responsible, and face tough truths.

Not sure how cutting payouts reduces the size of government, but justifying tax cuts and telling your grandmother to sack up and face the tough truths should go over well.

Not sure how cutting payouts reduces the size of government, but justifying tax cuts and telling your grandmother to sack up and face the tough truths should go over well.

Meh old people die. We waste way to much money on replacing hips of 90 yr olds, and trying to keep an 85 yr old alive for another 8 months.

Meh old people die. We waste way to much money on replacing hips of 90 yr olds, and trying to keep an 85 yr old alive for another 8 months.

"Death panel" advocate? I don't entirely disagree btw.

I'd love to see which GOP senators publicly get out in front and support this. That would be some hilarious shit and the end of their career in the Senate.

I don't see why we don't just bump the age. That fixes social security without really having to do much of anything. It is one of the easiest fixes we have.

I don't see why we don't just bump the age. That fixes social security without really having to do much of anything. It is one of the easiest fixes we have.

Because some hard core Republicans don't want to fix it, they want to end it. The hate the idea that the govt is taking care of all these old people. That is not what Govt is for. It's the same philosophy that was behind the privatization scheme under GW Bush.

There are parts that are acceptable. Means testing, and agradual shift of the retirement age are workable. Can't have means testing AND removing the tax cap without a fight.

What is the major objection to privatization? All of us have money invested privately, what is the downside of allowing people to invest in safe avenues outside of the govt? I would advocate basic investment advice from professionals to help make those decisions. It's an issue I need to learn more about but seems a good idea at first pass

Yep. The left would scream bloody murder but it wouldn't really have a negative impact. Phase it in slowly and it shouldn't matter at all.

What is the major objection to privatization? All of us have money invested privately, what is the downside of allowing people to invest in safe avenues outside of the govt? I would advocate basic investment advice from professionals to help make those decisions. It's an issue I need to learn more about but seems a good idea at first pass
The money would run out and you would end up with a bunch of destitute old people.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Yep. The left would scream bloody murder but it wouldn't really have a negative impact. Phase it in slowly and it shouldn't matter at all.

Here are two posters who apparently don't know what raising the SS full retirement age means.

Ages have been bumped before (65 to 67) so definitely possible. I'm still #TeamBernie for SocSec solutions, which includes having the wage base be a range (I forgot the specifics and don't care to look them up), where above the range the tax is reinstated.

Back