• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Requiem for the old-school ACC tournament (and classroom TV cart)

The expansion of the NCAAT (which was significantly caused by NCST beating MD in the ACCT) has made the ACCT far less important.

I agree that it did, expansion of the ACC has made it completely irrelevant. Not playing every other team twice a season lessens the intensity of the rivals. I used to care about all of the games and could name the starting line up of every team. I knew lots of UNC, Duke, and State fans, a handful of Clemson, UVa, and GT fans and even a few Maryland fans. I don't know any Pitt or Louisville or Syracuse or Miami or BC or even VT fans. It's just not the same with the league so big. I can tell you the name of every ACC Tourney champion up to 2004. But I don't really care anymore.

We never did that in MD growing up, even though most everyone was a MD fan. What we used to do after college for several years is get a group of ACC fans together, all take off Friday and have an all day party. That and I've gone to a few ACC tourneys. But now you have to take off the whole darn week. Not worth it and don't have the time to do it.

I grew up in MD too and the custodians would pull the cart into the "all purpose room" and wed sneak in to watch. Late 1970s / early 1980s. Fond memories.

5c00a4a0ab5cb89b7895848fb11d34ca.jpg

I agree that it did, expansion of the ACC has made it completely irrelevant. Not playing every other team twice a season lessens the intensity of the rivals. I used to care about all of the games and could name the starting line up of every team. I knew lots of UNC, Duke, and State fans, a handful of Clemson, UVa, and GT fans and even a few Maryland fans. I don't know any Pitt or Louisville or Syracuse or Miami or BC or even VT fans. It's just not the same with the league so big. I can tell you the name of every ACC Tourney champion up to 2004. But I don't really care anymore.

Yeah. 2004 is the last year I can tell you who won. I didn't even remember UVa won last year. I thought it was because I left NC in 2004, but things really did change after that.

Yeah. 2004 is the last year I can tell you who won. I didn't even remember UVa won last year. I thought it was because I left NC in 2004, but things really did change after that.

Yep. I mean I used to love it so much that even though I was born in 1970, I knew all of the winners even from before I was born.

This was definitely my elementary school experience perfectly articulated. In middle school, my dad took off work and got me out of school to drive down to the tourney. So many good memories. Thanks Forsyth County public school teachers in the late 90s.

Probably my most vivid childhood sports memory (because our wake season tickets were way up in 215) was a Vince Carter 360 dunk about ten feet from my childhood self. Mesmerizing

This was definitely my elementary school experience perfectly articulated. In middle school, my dad took off work and got me out of school to drive down to the tourney. So many good memories. Thanks Forsyth County public school teachers in the late 90s.

I used to think it was so cool of them to let us watch but I have since come to realize that they wanted to watch it just as much as we did.

Once in high school we had an assembly on ACC Friday. Half of the auditorium was secretly listening to Duke beat Wake in 1986. To this day I can't believe that they scheduled it for that day and time.

I was initially annoyed by this image because they chose to represent two Carolina fans and two state fans and a duke devil head before showing a wake fan.

But then I realized, the hero of the image is the schoolteacher, a woman who appears (depending on how much you squint) to be decked out in the old gold and black. Makes a lot of sense now that the educated representative in the image would be the deac.

Since I grew up a Tar Heel fan, I learned early on that “Duke is puke, Wake is fake, but the team I hate is NC State.” And would stupidly recite this delightful mantra around school. Of course it still holds pretty true (ouch).

Also, at work.
Before computers, where you could watch on your own, if you had to work that Friday afternoon, the TV in the conference room was the place to be.
Lots of very important meetings held during that time. Drinks and snacks included.

I recall a Wake Law prof shutting down class an hour early at about 12:55 p.m. on the quarter-finals day and announcing something to the effect of "I don't care what you do but Professor ___ and I going to watch basketball."

article absolutely nails my elementary experience at Stough Elementary

chris, did your parent(s) go to Wake? what was your childhood connection?

I was likewise a minority as a Wake fan in Raleigh
Yes my dad went to wake to play football but separated his shoulder. WW2 era.

Probably my most vivid childhood sports memory (because our wake season tickets were way up in 215) was a Vince Carter 360 dunk about ten feet from my childhood self. Mesmerizing
And my dad just texted to let me know this was actually an NCAA tournament game, Carolina vs. Michigan St. It *was* in Greensboro though, so I was close.

I grew up in MD too and the custodians would pull the cart into the "all purpose room" and wed sneak in to watch. Late 1970s / early 1980s. Fond memories.

You clearly attended the superior school to mine.

We never did that in MD growing up, even though most everyone was a MD fan. What we used to do after college for several years is get a group of ACC fans together, all take off Friday and have an all day party. That and I've gone to a few ACC tourneys. But now you have to take off the whole darn week. Not worth it and don't have the time to do it.

I went to Middle School and High School in Maryland, and my teachers rolled in the tv cart for the ACC Tournament. Specifically, I had a math teacher in HS who was a cheerleader at UMCP back in the day, and he led the charge on those sacred Fridays.

Since I grew up a Tar Heel fan, I learned early on that “Duke is puke, Wake is fake, but the team I hate is NC State.” And would stupidly recite this delightful mantra around school. Of course it still holds pretty true (ouch).

You forgot the rest...

"you can't get to heaven in a red canoe, 'cause God's favorite color is Carolina blue"

I can never remember watching the ACCT in class (but i know people did) but that's because from the time I can remember until college, I went to every ACCT game (except the play in Thursday game)
My Dad picked me up from school by himself (i.e. without my mom also in the car) exactly 11 times in my lifetime, once a year from Kindergarten through 10th grade (after that I could drive myself) to go to the ACCT
I probably haven't been to one since 2004 or so (last 10 years because Wake has sucked in general and before that because I knew, even when we were good, that Wake would shit the bed the ACCT) but that was always a fun weekend.

Last edited:
You forgot the rest...

"you can't get to heaven in a red canoe, 'cause God's favorite color is Carolina blue"

Never heard that line before.

Back