• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Respect & Patriotism vs. Free Speech & Protest

No doubt it is his right and anyone who does not understand that does not understand what America is supposed to stand for. There are natural consequences to angering droves of people with a poorly thought out gesture.

I take issue with your characterization that people were not seeing him as a success. When he was playing well, no one was talking about the color of his skin.

I found this article from 2012 within my first 10 seconds of googling from the Sporting News that talks about tattoos and is overtly racist:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/new...9ers-qb-start-alex-smith-stats-contract-draft

The idea that this country is the best at everything and that we are somehow the shiny beacon of gods will leads to a lot of problems. The anger and hatred spewed for the simple act of refusing to stand during the national anthem is just more of the same within this mindset.

I really think his explanation was what caused the uproar more than sitting during the anthem. He basically said that he would not show respect to the flag of a country that treated minorities so poorly.

Considering that country has afforded him the opportunity for great wealth with minimal effort (at least lately), he might have found a better way to voice his displeasure. With his dwindling talent he will have a hard time finding a job with another team.

How does this explanation square with the uproar over Gabby Douglas not putting her hand over her heart? There was no motive at all and she got buried for it. And she doesn't have a $100+ million contract.

Makes sense to add this here.

14102330_1683774025278817_762821693982029551_n.png

How does this explanation square with the uproar over Gabby Douglas not putting her hand over her heart? There was no motive at all and she got buried for it. And she doesn't have a $100+ million contract.

Makes sense to add this here.

14102330_1683774025278817_762821693982029551_n.png

Wrong thread. Facebook gold is next door.

Wrong thread. Facebook gold is next door.

So you think a dude sitting during the anthem is a bigger deal than cop killings?

I'm not surprised. I wish people like you cared about American people as much as you care about American symbols.

You think if he could hit the open receiver he'd feel a little less oppressed? He grew up in a family that is white by Wake Forest standards.

More film room, less embarrassing, self-important, baseless Millenial bloviating. #AllDonksMatter

You are the absolute worst at this. That is not even remotely what he said.

I was referencing his take on the meme. Either way, it sums up many of the takes on this "controversy." Kaep sitting down is a bigger deal to many than what he sat down about.

Flag pins are dumb as is the pledge. I never said it in high school -- I stood but did not recite (shades of the Josh Howard jersey retirement controversy from the Scout board).

yep

Pledging allegiance to a flag is so fucking dumb.

You think if he could hit the open receiver he'd feel a little less oppressed? He grew up in a family that is white by Wake Forest standards.

More film room, less embarrassing, self-important, baseless Millenial bloviating. #AllDonksMatter

Hey here is a thought- fuck you. Do you think society views Kaepernick as a white guy because of the color of his parent's skin?

I thought you were above identity politics.

yep

Pledging allegiance to a flag is so fucking dumb.

How the fuck else are they going to get people to leave home for a desert on the other side of the globe to be shot at by strangers who pose no existential threat to the country they're supposedly defending?

Emmanuel Acho:

CrEUIzRVYAQFA22.jpg

More Emmanuel Acho:

Screen_Shot_2015-01-09_at_7.31.12_A.focus-none.width-800.png

How the fuck else are they going to get people to leave home for a desert on the other side of the globe to be shot at by strangers who pose no existential threat to the country they're supposedly defending?

Yeah really. Who over there is threatening my freedom?

IMO, there is no line - you follow the laws of the country, but you can think whatever you want about the country. FWIW, I don't say the pledge of allegiance (I'll stand out of respect to others), but I don't move my lips or put my hand over my heart. My rationale is that as a Christian, the only symbol that I'm ever going to pledge allegiance to is the Cross.

Hey here is a thought- fuck you. Do you think society views Kaepernick as a white guy because of the color of his parent's skin?

I thought you were above identity politics.

No. I think they view him as a decamillionaire who can't beat Blaine Gabbert out for a job.

Kaepernick is a douchebag. Only douchebags don't stand for the national anthem. I stand up for the fucking Canadian national anthem and I'm not even Canadian.

Not putting your hand over your heart during the anthem is not that big of a deal. I move my hands when I perform or sing, so it's not going to stay there anyway. Gabby Douglas gets a pass. Sorry Ph, it's not the same thing.

Any goober who doesn't take his or her hat off during the national anthem deserves to be told to take their hat off by the person standing behind them. If they don't, then they deserve to have people think less of them, but not so much as a person who doesn't stand for the national anthem in the firs place.

Pledge of Allegiance is stupid. And plus you're pledging allegiance to a piece of cloth. That's the really stupid part. And some of the shit they say in the pledge is laughable.

It is okay to burn flag pins.

Everyone should trash the military industrial complex, especially those who are members of the military.

I really think his explanation was what caused the uproar more than sitting during the anthem. He basically said that he would not show respect to the flag of a country that treated minorities so poorly.

Considering that country has afforded him the opportunity for great wealth with minimal effort.....

The country afforded him that opportunity? I thought that opportunity was existential and a country/government could only hamper it with too many regulations and taxes. Seems like an odd statement from you

Kaepernick is a douchebag. Only douchebags don't stand for the national anthem. I stand up for the fucking Canadian national anthem and I'm not even Canadian.

Not putting your hand over your heart during the anthem is not that big of a deal. I move my hands when I perform or sing, so it's not going to stay there anyway. Gabby Douglas gets a pass. Sorry Ph, it's not the same thing.

Any goober who doesn't take his or her hat off during the national anthem deserves to be told to take their hat off by the person standing behind them. If they don't, then they deserve to have people think less of them, but not so much as a person who doesn't stand for the national anthem in the firs place.

Pledge of Allegiance is stupid. And plus you're pledging allegiance to a piece of cloth. That's the really stupid part. And some of the shit they say in the pledge is laughable.

It is okay to burn flag pins.

Everyone should trash the military industrial complex, especially those who are members of the military.

This is a good point. There is a basic respect at work. If an Islamic person is praying towards Mecca at the airport, I could go out of my way to step over them and be a jackass. I mean, it's my right as an American and who are you to tell me where I should and should not walk? Tim Tebow could pray quietly in the endzone and I'm sure nobody on the left would mock him and make fun of him. After all, that's his right, too, isn't it?

Or, as my friend Numbers likes to say, you could just not be an asshole. in this case, the back-up quarterback was an asshole. It's his right, but he's still an asshole. Apparently we can add "history" to the things he sucks at reading (a list which includes basic defensive coverages).

Back