• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Respect & Patriotism vs. Free Speech & Protest

As a reminder, this is an artistic rendering of a protest:

29p57j6.jpg

I'll bet on doing the statistically proven means to make your life better instead, but you do you (reminder: you actually DO you, it's just that you recommend other people to protest).

What are the white people saying? See my question above.

What are the white people saying? See my question above.

See my answer above. The "white people" I'm referring to are the ones Charlotte is referring to, so I will take her stereotype as I find it, for purposes of this discussion.

Protesting isn't going to solve shit, and racism--while A problem--- isn't the only problem. In terms of things holding back the majority of poor people in America (a few of whom aren't black, I hear), racism might not even be a minimally contributing factor. I would hope that people---white, black, purple and fuchsia---who care (as opposed to those who care deeply about being seen caring), would tell people to do things that actually work (cf. protest).

if I thought for a second a protest would work, I'd advocate for it. I don't, so I don't.

I do however think that doing the well-documented behaviors will work, so I do. I think the great majority of Americans are capable of it, and will directly benefit from it.

Last edited:
What happens when you "do things to make your life better", but are still pulled over due to skin color, or killed while trying to pull out your drivers license after you tell a police officer that you have a gun (as is your right under the Second Amendment, which actually applies to all races).

See my answer above. The "white people" I'm referring to are the ones Charlotte is referring to, so I will take her stereotype as I find it, for purposes of this discussion.

Protesting isn't going to solve shit, and racism isn't the only problem. In terms of things holding back the majority of poor people in America (a few of whom aren't black, I hear), racism might not even be a minimally contributing factor. I would hope that people---white, black, purple and fuchsia---who care (as opposed to those who care deeply about being seen caring), would tell people to do things that actually work (cf. protest).

if I thought for a second a protest would work, I'd advocate for it. I don't, so I don't.

I do however think that doing the well-documented behaviors will work, so I do. I think the great majority of Americans are capable of it, and will directly benefit from it.

Ah, so you do agree that racism is a problem, you just think that it's not high up on the list of things that need to change for the majority of poor people.

ETA: That's not a "gotcha" statement. Just want to make sure I understand.

Ah, so you do agree that racism is a problem, you just think that it's not high up on the list of things that need to change for the majority of poor people.

ETA: That's not a "gotcha" statement. Just want to make sure I understand.

That isn't a gotcha statement. It's a provable fact. I'll bet you a glass of iced tea that a majority of American poor people aren't held back by racism.

Protesting isn't going to solve shit, and racism isn't the only problem. In terms of things holding back the majority of poor people in America (a few of whom aren't black, I hear), racism might not even be a minimally contributing factor. I would hope that people---white, black, purple and fuchsia---who care (as opposed to those who care deeply about being seen caring), would tell people to do things that actually work (cf. protest).

I do however think that doing the well-documented behaviors will work, so I do.

I thought Kapernick was protesting racism specifically in police work.

I think I understand that you believe that only poor blacks are the target of racism, and if they just acted right and got their financial act together the problem wold be solved. So wealthy blacks are not targets of racism, even in police work?

As a reminder, this is an artistic rendering of a protest:

29p57j6.jpg

I'll bet on doing the statistically proven means to make your life better instead, but you do you (reminder: you actually DO you, it's just that you recommend other people to protest).

MLKJr was just yelling at clouds and his protests "didn't do shit?"

That isn't a gotcha statement. It's a provable fact. I'll bet you a glass of iced tea that a majority of American poor people aren't held back by racism.

I don't think CK was protesting poor people in general, but police brutality and systematic racism.

I get what you're saying on it not being high up on the list, even for poor black people specifically.

apparently jhmd is saying white people are saying that black people with jobs who take care of themselves (off the dole) are not targets of racism by police or anyone else.

damn Charlotte, get your facts straight about your own experience.

apparently jhmd is saying white people are saying that black people with jobs who take care of themselves (off the dole) are not targets of racism by police or anyone else.

damn Charlotte, get your facts straight about your own experience.

*Kaepernick sits during national anthem
white people: #bootstraps

Last edited:
I often confuse Martin Luther King, Jr. with the 49ers back-up quarterback. Thanks for keeping me straight here.

You posted the picture and claimed "this is an artistic rendering of a protest"

what am I missing?

Don't you think that activities outlined the the Ferguson and Baltimore police investigations that Kaep is ostensibly trying to prevent have a material impact on a minority's ability to rise out of poverty? I get the personal responsibility micro angle. However shouldn't someone be concerned about the macro?

I don't think CK was protesting poor people in general, but police brutality and systematic racism.

I get what you're saying on it not being high up on the list, even for poor black people specifically.

Yes, essentially.

I believe in the basic humanity of my fellow citizens, and I tend to think that not everybody gets out of bed every morning trying to scheme how they can get over on somebody else because of their skin color. I will confess to lacking the cynicism to fear racism lurking behind every corner. If that makes me naïve, okay, but I'm just being honest. I know plenty of people---even, if I can say over the gasps and clutching of pearls, LEOs---whose character wouldn't tolerate racism.

Don't you think that activities outlined the the Ferguson and Baltimore police investigations that Kaep is ostensibly trying to prevent have a material impact on a minority's ability to rise out of poverty? I get the personal responsibility micro angle. However shouldn't someone be concerned about the macro?

I think we'd have concurrence if these could be flipped. As extensively noted, racism is a factor, but I believe the role of the macro is played by what you do, more so than what you look like. Again, exhaust yourselves decrying my naiveté (and here come the "Well, when I lived in a duplex off of Cherry Street...stories), I just don't operate with palpable, persistent fear of racism as a driving factor.

I'd counter that people are trying do just that re:protests and results are seen in federal probes of police departments and in increased national dialogue about racial justice and policing. Do you disagree, jhmd?

I'd counter that people are trying and results are seen in federal probes of police departments and in increased national dialogue about racial justice and policing. Do you disagree, jhmd?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a "macro" factor, I disagree. As a "micro"? Sure.

Back