• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Restaurants in Dallas and Fort Worth

PM please.

Reaction score
I will be traveling to Dallas and Fort Worth with my wife and parents in December. My parents aren't adventurous eaters, so I'm looking for recommendations on Tex-Mex, steaks, and brisket. I recognize that the best brisket is elsewhere, but we need something that closely approximates good in or around town.

We will be in and around Dallas for two nights and will be going to a concert at the Bass Performance Hall in Fort Worth one night, so I'll need a recommendation for something over there too.

Thanks in advance.

Pepe's & Mito's in deep ellum was my favorite tex mex place when I lived there

Pecan Lodge in Deep Ellum for brisket (probably the second best in the state after Franklin's in Austin)
Bandito's in Snyder Plaza for tex mex (Wake20 is right on about Pepe's and Mito's)
Hibiscus for Steaks
Nick and Sam's for steaks

DO NOT go to Joe T. Garcia's in Fort Worth (somebody will tell you it's good, but it sucks)

Thanks. Pepe's and Mito's, Bandito's, and Pecan Lodge all look great. Any word on Lockhart Smokehouse? I've seen mostly positive things online, but it's hard to tell sometimes.

Thanks. Pepe's and Mito's, Bandito's, and Pecan Lodge all look great. Any word on Lockhart Smokehouse? I've seen mostly positive things online, but it's hard to tell sometimes.

Pecan Lodge definitely over Lockhart. It's fine just not in the same league as Pecan Lodge.

Don't forget about Hibiscus. You won't be disappointed.

Pecan Lodge in Deep Ellum for brisket (probably the second best in the state after Franklin's in Austin)
Bandito's in Snyder Plaza for tex mex (Wake20 is right on about Pepe's and Mito's)
Hibiscus for Steaks
Nick and Sam's for steaks

DO NOT go to Joe T. Garcia's in Fort Worth (somebody will tell you it's good, but it sucks)

Al Biernat's over Nick and Sam's (haven't been to Hibiscus).

Pepe's & Mito's in deep ellum was my favorite tex mex place when I lived there

Every time one of these threads would pop up, I'd always recommend Pepe & Mito's but nobody else would. Then they got on Diners, Dives, and Drive-Ins...

Their chipotle sauce is heaven, but it does have a bit of a kick so if it's a hot day, it might not be something you're up for. I always get just a little side of chayote squash too. I don't even like squash, but I like this stuff.

Last edited:

This times 1000. It's always way too crowded, there's usually a wait, and their menu is like two things. Granted, the atmosphere is pretty cool on a nice day, but the food is limited and very average.

Mexican: Pepe and Mito's in Deep Ellum, Gloria's on Greenville, or Mia's in Oak Lawn.
BBQ: Stick with Lockhart in Bishop Arts or Pecan Lodge in Deep Ellum. Aside from those, Dallas is not known for good barbecue. Just be warned, you will likely have a pretty good wait at Pecan Lodge. I went there on a Sunday a couple of weeks ago when they opened and waited an hour and a half, most of which was outside with no shade. You should be able to get food at Lockhart without any real wait, however.
Steaks: Hibiscus on Knox-Henderson or Kirby's on Greenville.
Bonus Suggestions: Cane Rosso in Lakewood or Deep Ellum is the best pizza in town. Maple and Motor and Twisted Root are good burger joints. Terilli's is a good Italian place on Greenville

Fort Worth: Joe T's is a neat atmosphere, but the food is pretty mediocre. Railhead and Angelo's are both really good barbecue places. Reata is pretty great, too.

Back