• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

Australia has it worse than us. That's about it. I was thinking that it might be okay had we gotten Russia or Bosnia. But now Ronaldo is salivating so bad about the thought of our defense that he just installed a spittle cup under his chin. We'll do well to hold him to a hat trick. And friggin' Mexico has half a chance at making the 2nd round.

And we fly all over the fucking country.

It's actually not bad at all. They'll fly directly into Fortaleza which is right next to Natal and Recife. One roundtrip flight to Manaus, which is only 3 hours from Fortaleza.

Well, at least Ghana won't be bringing a ton of supporters. More tickets available!

Open the WC vs. Ghana, you cant make this stuff up. That being said, I'm not scared of them. We have to open with 3 points to have any shot at all

It's a brutal draw without question, but we weren't going to get the benefit of England, Slovenia and Algeria again. Bottom line to me is that if we want to be relevant at a world cup, then we need to be better than the likes of Ghana and Portugual.

So our Game Times are:

Mon, June 16th - 7 pm EST - Ghana
Sun, June 22nd - 1 pm EST - Portugal
Thurs, June 26th - 11 am EST - Germany

Right?

Last edited:
lol

Ba0ah4QCQAAce92.jpg:large

It's a brutal draw without question, but we weren't going to get the benefit of England, Slovenia and Algeria again. Bottom line to me is that if we want to be relevant at a world cup, then we need to be better than the likes of Ghana and Portugual.

yep

Macca is right. Game one v Ghana is massive. Have to get a point at least.

Maybe Germany will have the group wrapped up by the 3rd game and will play their backups. I guess that's a positive.

What is Lalas talking about? The USA does the best in the WC when we have tough groups?

Just look at the history and that is blatantly not true.

90 - tough group, winless
94 - moderate group, only advanced as a 3rd place side
98 - tough group, winless
02 - easy-ish group, advanced
06 - tough group, winless
10 - easy group, advanced
14 - tough group, ???

Maybe Germany will have the group wrapped up by the 3rd game and will play their backups. I guess that's a positive.

Their backups would walk into our starting XI and they would be out looking to prove something to play in the knockout rounds.

We better be positioned well after our first two matches.

What is Lalas talking about? The USA does the best in the WC when we have tough groups?

14 - tough group, ???

maybe he was factoring in WORLD WARS or WARS VS EUROPE AND SOUTH AMERICA

14 - tough group, ???

Eh. The 02 Group was much more difficult than the 98 Group.

98 was Iran (super meh) Yugoslavia (meh) and Germany (good)

02 was South Korea (host nation and eventual semifinals) Portugal (golden generation, Top 5 team at the time) and Poland (meh)

Back