• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

have no spawn, so I'm good.

bet the pads, etc. ain't cheap.

It's the skates a that are expensive. Not at all uncommon for kids heading into HS play to have 600 or 700 USD skates. My son just got new skates. He can stay in the highest junior skate size. One more size up and the same skate costs $110 more than we paid. It's insane. Helmets can be somewhat pricey too, but you don't mess around with that piece of equipment.

I donned white Jomas in high school. They looked good and didn't cost an arm and a leg.

I had the Beckenbauer Special that had about 100 mini-cleats all over the bottom. Our field was really too hard for molded cleats.

Copas for me. Although my 20th high school reunion is in August, so we didn't have today's neon choices. The original Predator came out shortly after my playing days were over.

While all my teammates were picking up new Predators and Vapors every season, I rocked the same pair of Diadoras my whole career.

Some kid, who had the same size foot as me, and obviously a bigger budget, always sold 2 pairs of Copas at the end of each season at Play it Again Sports. For 3 years in a row, I was able to pick up a couple good used pairs of Copas for $10-20 each. Win.

Last edited:
I think the best explanation is that 4 of the first 6 games were outliers with at least 4 goals. We're already reverting to the mean:

Average goals/game through match #
1: 4.00
4: 3.75
8: 3.50
13: 3.15
17: 2.88

Average goals/game for the last 10 world cups have ranged 2.21 to 2.81 with a mean of 2.51. I bet we finish on the high side but not so high that it requires some explanatory theory.

NED-AUS says this guy obviously doesn't know what he's talking about.

My roommate at Wake played intramural soccer in bare feet. He grew up in Africa. Beat that.

Play a 4-2-3-1 like the good ole Jurgen days. Deuce up top. Win.

I think this is where I am. It fits our available personnel the best. Get the best players on the field at the places they can make the most impact.

I'd go
Howard
The back four that played vs Ghana
Becks and Jones
Zusi Bradley Bedoya
Clint

I like that, though not sure about DMB and Dempsey up front would worry me.

Really wanna see Zusi and Bedoya start

Back