• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

@TaylorTwellman: Multiple sources tell me Jozy Altidore and @MLS are in discussions about his return this winter with 3 teams applying. #TFC #RBNY #POR

10806353_10205500734616113_1050754285071242453_n.jpg

GOALKEEPERS (4): Alex Bono (unattached), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire), Jon Kempin (Sporting Kansas City), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)
DEFENDERS (8): Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Steve Birnbaum (D.C. United), Christian Dean (Vancouver Whitecaps FC), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC), Jermaine Jones (New England Revolution), Perry Kitchen (D.C. United), Shane O’Neill (Colorado Rapids), Oscar Sorto (LA Galaxy)
MIDFIELDERS (10): Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Mix Diskerud (out of contract), Dennis Flores (Club Leon), Luis Gil (Real Salt Lake), Miguel Ibarra (Minnesota United FC), Lee Nguyen (New England Revolution), Marc Pelosi (Liverpool), Dillon Serna (Colorado Rapids), Brek Shea (Orlando City SC), Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC)
FORWARDS (6): Tesho Akindele (FC Dallas), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC), Julio Morales (Tepic), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes), Bobby Wood (1860 Munich), Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy)

Gut reactions:

I have never heard of Julio Morales. Like literally, I have no idea who that is or what Tepic is
Interesting choice of U23s. I know he said he was bringing some in, but Pelosi? Dean?
Guess Canada loses out on Tesho too. Hope for his sake he's not Bunburying himeslf.
Would have let Besler get a rest. He looked dead by the end of the MLS season.
I guess Bono won't be going to the MLS combine. Good week to be him though, sign a GA deal and get a national team call-up.
Wonder if it'll be awkward for Brad Evans there. I believe he's the only World Cup cut there.

I do like bringing Kitchen, Zardes, Trapp, and Serna. I think each of them could be a contributor this cycle and in the future.

Pelosi hasn't played a ton this year for the Liverpool reserve teams (he was playing consistently before he had a big injury last year). Hopefully he can get his career back on track.

From the US Soccer factsheet:

Rimando, who will be participating in his seventh January camp, was born June 17, 1971. He is exactly 15 years older than midfielder Marc Pelosi (born June 17, 1994) who will be appearing in his first camp with the Senior Team.

Uh, I don't think Rimando is 43, and even if he was, that's not 15 years different from someone born in 94. Good math guys!

From the US Soccer factsheet:

Rimando, who will be participating in his seventh January camp, was born June 17, 1971. He is exactly 15 years older than midfielder Marc Pelosi (born June 17, 1994) who will be appearing in his first camp with the Senior Team.

Uh, I don't think Rimando is 43, and even if he was, that's not 15 years different from someone born in 94. Good math guys!

Yea....June 17th, 1979 is the correct year...so 16 years

Gut reactions:

I have never heard of Julio Morales. Like literally, I have no idea who that is or what Tepic is
Interesting choice of U23s. I know he said he was bringing some in, but Pelosi? Dean?
Guess Canada loses out on Tesho too. Hope for his sake he's not Bunburying himeslf.
Would have let Besler get a rest. He looked dead by the end of the MLS season.
I guess Bono won't be going to the MLS combine. Good week to be him though, sign a GA deal and get a national team call-up.
Wonder if it'll be awkward for Brad Evans there. I believe he's the only World Cup cut there.

It is a strange mix of folks

Reminder that U-20s kick off WC qualifying today. Chance to see some youngsters that might contribute soon. Interested to see guys like Hyndman and Flores. 5:30 EST on Fox Sports 2.

Reminder that U-20s kick off WC qualifying today. Chance to see some youngsters that might contribute soon. Interested to see guys like Hyndman and Flores. 5:30 EST on Fox Sports 2.

US U20 starting XI vs Guatemala: Steffen, Moore, Requejo, Carter-Vickers, Miazga, Flores, Acosta, Thompson, Jamieson, Arriola, Gall

Back