• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

Herrera: "We will play them (the US) in the final (of the Gold Cup) ... and the story will change there. You'll see." http://www.espnfc.us/team/mexico/20...hrows-down-gold-cup-gauntlet-to-united-states

F7MSb.gif

I just watched Agudelo's goal again (actually, about a dozen times). Juan's touch was class. Can I make one comment, though? Where is the love for the ball MB4 played to Swagudelo? Just gorgeous.

Gotta say a couple things.....

Good effort by the USA. Congrats to Gonzalez, Alvarado, Bradley, Corona, and Yedlin for solid outings. Garza, Morris, and Agudelo were very good too. Zardes did a great job tracking back to win balls defensively. In spite of playing the Mexican "B" team, we didn't play "down". We played like an "A" team which was great to see. Am very intrigued with Brek Shea.....freakish athleticism, and a dynamite left foot.

Alexi Lalas, Rob Stone, Eric Wynalda and Fox Sports in general are awful, especially for a sport that needs quality production to continue to grow in the USA. When Lalas chirped " US fans deserve better" all I could think of was "yeah, better than you goofball". He, Stone, and Wynalda are just idiots as far as believability, knowledge, and quality. They add nothing for the casual fan. And who was the poor ex-Mexico commentator who barely spoke english, and was clearly intimidated by the 3 weird americans. FOX couldn't even get JK for a post game comment. I guess he doesn't know anybody at FOX. Oh ESPN, we miss you so much.

Good effort by the USA. Congrats to Gonzalez, Alvarado, Bradley, Corona, and Yedlin for solid outings. Garza, Morris, and Agudelo were very good too. Zardes did a great job tracking back to win balls defensively. In spite of playing the Mexican "B" team, we didn't play "down". We played like an "A" team which was great to see. Am very intrigued with Brek Shea.....freakish athleticism, and a dynamite left foot.

Alexi Lalas, Rob Stone, Eric Wynalda and Fox Sports in general are awful, especially for a sport that needs quality production to continue to grow in the USA. When Lalas chirped " US fans deserve better" all I could think of was "yeah, better than you goofball". He, Stone, and Wynalda are just idiots as far as believability, knowledge, and quality. They add nothing for the casual fan. And who was the poor ex-Mexico commentator who barely spoke english, and was clearly intimidated by the 3 weird americans. FOX couldn't even get JK for a post game comment. I guess he doesn't know anybody at FOX. Oh ESPN, we miss you so much.

I'll admit I was pretty drunk so I may have missed a few minutes of action, but what did Corona do of note last night?

Official US Soccer / 2018 World Cup Thread (USA 2-0 Mexico #DosaCero)

If you gave me $500K to spend a day my erotic fountain pens collection would be on the low end of my absurd purchases.

Last edited:

Couldn't agree more about Fox Sports being terrible. Twellman and Ian Darke are about 10000X better

U-23 roster for the Mexico friendly Wednesday night:

GOALKEEPERS (2): Cody Cropper (Southampton; Maple Grove, Minn.), Jon Kempin (San Antonio Scorpions; Leawood, Kan.)

DEFENDERS (8): Christian Dean (Vancouver Whitecaps; East Palo Alto, Calif.), Juan Pablo Ocegueda (Alebrijes de Oaxaca; Riverside, Calif.), Boyd Okwuonu (Real Salt Lake; Edmund, Okla.), Shane O’Neill (Colorado Rapids; Boulder, Colo.), Dillon Serna (Colorado Rapids; Brighton, Colo.), Oscar Sorto (LA Galaxy; Los Angeles, Calif), Sam Strong (UC Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara, Calif.), Walker Zimmerman (FC Dallas; Lawrenceville, Ga.)

MIDFIELDERS (5): Fatai Alashe (San Jose Earthquakes; Northville, Mich.), Luis Gil (Real Salt Lake; Garden Grove, Calif.), Alejandro Guido (Club Tijuana; Chula Vista, Calif.), Benji Joya (Santos Laguna; San Jose, Calif.), Daniel Metzger (New York Red Bulls II; Holmdel, N.J.)

FORWARDS (5): Alonso Hernandez (C.F. Monterrey; El Paso, Texas), Alfred Koroma Shams (Unattached; Southlake Carol, Texas), Jordan Morris (Stanford; Mercer Island, Wash.), Mario Rodriguez (Borussia Mönchengladbach; North Hollywood, Calif.), Jose Villarreal (LA Galaxy; Inglewood, Calif.)

I think half those names are made up. Alejandro Guido? You're not fooling any of us sd3

@MixDiskerud
For the mathematicians out there:
How will Mexico and USA rate on next month's FIFA ranking?
How much are we then said to have to catch up?

dv7, can you help Mix out and calculate THE GAP!?!?!?!

Advertisements without Alex Morgan and Tobin Heath are less effective.

@MixDiskerud
For the mathematicians out there:
How will Mexico and USA rate on next month's FIFA ranking?
How much are we then said to have to catch up?

dv7, can you help Mix out and calculate THE GAP!?!?!?!

I could help him and tell him that the FIFA rankings are a complete farce and shouldn't be paid any attention.

A battle between two B/C squads in a friendly isn't really a barometer either. Glad we won, but it was still just a meaningless friendly.

Back