• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

I can't find any meaningful stats, but it seems like Bradley has been off his usual form the past 2 matches. He's made some great final balls, but his general passing/awareness is well below what I would expect given the opponents. Odd substitutions tonight. Thought Mix would have been a better sub for Beckerman towards the end of the match to add some legs and possession. Yedlin should have finished his opportunity early, a few other missed chances. Still the result we needed against the best team in our group. The next two matches should be about building momentum and chemistry. CONCACAF is always a bit of a shock, so build on each result moving forward.

Jozy blows again

QFT.

His touch was terrible. Whenever he lost possession, he just stopped. He didn't win balls in the air. He completely missed the first ball on our goal, and then struck the ball right at the keeper with Deuce wide open. He must be a hell of a training camp player, otherwise, I have no idea why he's getting start after start.

QFT.

His touch was terrible. Whenever he lost possession, he just stopped. He didn't win balls in the air. He completely missed the first ball on our goal, and then struck the ball right at the keeper with Deuce wide open. He must be a hell of a training camp player, otherwise, I have no idea why he's getting start after start.

I am convinced that Jurgen is smitten with what Jozy could be, as opposed to what he is.

He's fast. He's big. He's played in the EPL. But he's not Benteke, Lukaku, Ballotelli or Giroud.

Jurgen needs to move on, and use some of his other options.

Is that level of physicality pretty typical of CONCACAF matches? I seem to recall the south american teams being a little rough during the WC, but this is the first time I've watched this tournament. Thought the ref was shit, as was they USMNT overall performance. Thankfully Clint made the heads up play on the first goal.

Also agree that Jozy was bad last night. Hard to believe there's not better options available to the US right now.

I can't find any meaningful stats, but it seems like Bradley has been off his usual form the past 2 matches. He's made some great final balls, but his general passing/awareness is well below what I would expect given the opponents. Odd substitutions tonight. Thought Mix would have been a better sub for Beckerman towards the end of the match to add some legs and possession. Yedlin should have finished his opportunity early, a few other missed chances. Still the result we needed against the best team in our group. The next two matches should be about building momentum and chemistry. CONCACAF is always a bit of a shock, so build on each result moving forward.

I'm willing to give Bradley and Beckerman a pass on this game because they got absolutely no help from either Zardes or Yedlin in the midfield. I don't care who you're playing, if there's only two of you in the midfield it's going to be tough to look good.

I'd rotate the lineup over the next two games. We all know who the key guys are that will be playing in the games that matter, and I'd like to see them get at least most of a game off before the knockouts begin. If the second team can't do the business against Haiti especially, well, there might be some bigger issues with depth and/or roster selection.

Little bit of an overreaction on Jozy, IMO. Did he look like crap? Absolutely. But he didn't get his usual service either. Zardes was trash on Jozys side of the field and most of the wing service came from Yedlins wing. Also, Dempsey was forced to drop deep to receive the ball leaving Jozy up top by himself against a 5-man back line. If Jurgen gets his tactics right and Bedoya is healthy I think you see a much better Jozy in the future. It hard to knock Jozy when we have a central forward and right back providing him his service all evening.

Lets also remember hes only a few weeks out from carryng a hamstring injury. If we are going to win this tournament, Jozy has to be a large part of our attack.

Little bit of an overreaction on Jozy, IMO. Did he look like crap? Absolutely. But he didn't get his usual service either. Zardes was trash on Jozys side of the field and most of the wing service came from Yedlins wing. Also, Dempsey was forced to drop deep to receive the ball leaving Jozy up top by himself against a 5-man back line. If Jurgen gets his tactics right and Bedoya is healthy I think you see a much better Jozy in the future. It hard to knock Jozy when we have a central forward and right back providing him his service all evening.

Lets also remember hes only a few weeks out from carryng a hamstring injury. If we are going to win this tournament, Jozy has to be a large part of our attack.

SD3 - when was Jozy's last string of strong performances? I don't watch as much USMNT as you, so it's an honest question - trying to get some comparison of Jozy's good vs bad here.

SD3 - when was Jozy's last string of strong performances? I don't watch as much USMNT as you, so it's an honest question - trying to get some comparison of Jozy's good vs bad here.

Scored against Chile and Denmark earlier in 2015. 2014 was a rough year for him with multiple goals in the send off series then an injury during the World Cup. A PK vs Colombia was his only goal in the later half of that year. So far this year for Toronto, he has 6 goals in 12 appearances.

I'm with SD3 on this one. Jozy wasn't good last night but he's still the best option we have up front. Think back to how toothless we became at striker after he was hurt at the World Cup.

Pass comp pct for #USMNT starting outside backs vs HON:

- F. Johnson: 93% (41-44, avg 15 yds)
- T. Chandler: 50% (16-32, avg 24 yds).

CJXCtuwWEAAiRqu.png

Group B play kicking off now on FS2. We are pulling for Costa Rica to not finish 1st or 3rd in the group, that would throw them on Mexico's side of the knockout bracket assuming chalk.

Good start. Jamaica up 1-0 early.

Yep goal off a corner for Jamaica. And to clarify earlier post, we could play the 3rd place team from Group B or C. Won't know until all 3 groups have wrapped up play and the lowest 3rd place team is eliminated.

Back