• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

I'm still just so angry.

How does a player, ANY PLAYER, come into a match like tonight and not fucking give it their all?

I would be so much calmer about this if we got outplayed. Like if T&T was just lights out dynamite tonight and just passed around us to make us chase shadows...but that didn't happen. They did nothing special other than winning the ball and going direct. They didn't even switch play all that often from one side to the other. They just went straight at us. And we capitulated in the first 45 minutes.

I just don't get it.

I guess I'll have to be all in on England this World Cup....that will go well...

That performance was way more disrespectful than kneeling for the anthem

Haven't felt like this over a sporting event since West Virginia.

Fuck MLS. It elevates the mediocre talent around the Caribbean and in Central America, and kills us by seducing our best players to "come home" in the 20s and stagnate around that mediocre talent.

This debacle will set soccer in this country back years.

Yeah, the lethargy out there was noticeable

And if we ever have to play another game on beIN fucking sports, just put me out of my goddam misery before it starts.

What truly sucks about this beyond soccer is that next summer is going to be god awful politically and socially leading into the midterm elections. This country will really need something to unify us.

US Men's Soccer had the opportunity to do that and they dropped the ball.

Haven't felt like this over a sporting event since West Virginia.

Fuck MLS. It elevates the mediocre talent around the Caribbean and in Central America, and kills us by seducing our best players to "come home" in the 20s and stagnate around that mediocre talent.

This debacle will set soccer in this country back years.

Funny that you mentioned WVa. I was thinking as the last few minutes wound down, and the realization set in that we were out of the World Cup entirely, that the entire country was going to get a taste of the experience of being a Wake Forest fan. This bitterness is something we all know well.

What truly sucks about this beyond soccer is that next summer is going to be god awful politically and socially leading into the midterm elections. This country will really need something to unify us.

US Men's Soccer had the opportunity to do that and they dropped the ball.

Aye

Winter Olympics just too soon coming in Feb

A devastating setback to world class American soccer

Well we do have the MLS!!

not-funny-serious-face-05.jpg

I'm still bitter.

Did we even string together a 15 pass connection without losing possession? I'm trying to think of a period of time where we just calmly held the ball and made T&T work defensively. Just so direct, but worse than that, direct without a clear purpose.

Jozy even with Pulisic with Wood up top? So like a weird 4-3-2-1? With the 3 being one middle and two wide...leaving all midfield defensive work on one player? I'm not sure I'll ever watch this replay but that's what I remember (and I like to think I recall matches well, one of my few attributes).

So what was the point of Jozy sucking into midfield? What tactical advantage could that have possibly given us? Jozy is simply not the type of player to settle a ball and then play somebody through with a deft flick (his pass to Pulisic vs Panama was misplayed, to be honest). So why in the ever living fuck of football would Bruce Arena put Jozy into a double CAM role?!?! Just to win flick ons? So stupid.

Arriola -- what the fuck did he do today that was positive? I barely remembered that he played. Then he got subbed off for Dempsey at the half and our formation got even more confused because Arena didn't have a plan in place (IMHO). Dempsey on and moved to the 10...Jozy then moved up to the target 9 and Wood dropped off in that 10 yard gap between the two. So effectively we had 3 guys up top with 15 yards between them vertically. That isn't how you create depth... and you cannot create space with no depth. Teams need WIDTH and DEPTH to create space. We were already playing narrow so why make a switch to make us more compact up top as well? I just don't get the decision from a tactical and spacial POV.

I defended Arena pretty vigorously a few weeks ago. But he fucked up royally tonight and his press conference didn't show a man that was willing to learn.

I can tolerate mistakes. We all make mistakes. We are human. I cannot tolerate mistakes without learning. Bruce Arena fucked up and refuses to acknowledge his mistakes. Because of that, I want him to fuck off.

This is a blessing. Now I don't have to act like I care for 4 more years.

Last edited:
This is a blessing. Now I don't have to act like I care for 4 more years.

Thank you for coming in to a thread to tell us how little you care about the subject of the thread.

Reply to this to prove my point. Or don't now that I showed you your hypocrisy. Kisses.

Back