• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

Is sd3 projecting a bunch of homophobia because he's scared of his own inner gayness ?

Hmmmmmm. Makes you wonder.

rainbow-usa-flag-std.jpg

It's a tournament with GD as a tiebreaker, you have to keep scoring for 90 minutes (+3 in stoppage time as well, what a dumb decision to continue play). You don't have to celebrate like an assclown after doing so.

No issues with running up score as many have said you have GD as well as you want to continue the crisp play and the girls have worked really hard to show their skills at this level. Also no issue with a player celebrating their first WC goal like Mewis and Lavelle, BUT it is downright embarrassing for Alex to be counting out her goals on #4 or 5 goal and to have the whole team on the sideline doing ridiculous celebrations on goal # 12 and other ridiculous shows????

I don't care how hard you work for something or what the stage is you should always show humility and class. It is actually on the biggest stages where it is demanded all the more and is evident whether you truly are a humble person. Also a joke that so many rationalize what they did. Just shows how narcissistic we have become as a society and the social media "build your brand" drive so many youth are focused on and was on clear display for the world to see.

I can assure you the rest of the world thought we have a bunch of arrogant dimwits.

Rapinoe doing four different celebrations (running with arms out, weird 360 spins, weird on the ground leg kick, jumping into the pile with the bench players) was certainly a little excessive at 9-0 but whatever. Could be her last WC goal.

The pride flag would suggest she is representing something bigger than herself to me and showing young folks that they can be themselves and still achieve their goals.

Your perception just seems to be different.

i agree with you.

Screamindemon3's perception is why trump won. "look at that lesbian waving her rainbow flag around on stage. man that's really annoying to me as a straight white guy."

In a thread with 2,125 pages worth of hate for random US players, this is the irrational dislike that really triggers everyone else

No issues with running up score as many have said you have GD as well as you want to continue the crisp play and the girls have worked really hard to show their skills at this level. Also no issue with a player celebrating their first WC goal like Mewis and Lavelle, BUT it is downright embarrassing for Alex to be counting out her goals on #4 or 5 goal and to have the whole team on the sideline doing ridiculous celebrations on goal # 12 and other ridiculous shows????

I don't care how hard you work for something or what the stage is you should always show humility and class. It is actually on the biggest stages where it is demanded all the more and is evident whether you truly are a humble person. Also a joke that so many rationalize what they did. Just shows how narcissistic we have become as a society and the social media "build your brand" drive so many youth are focused on and was on clear display for the world to see.

I can assure you the rest of the world thought we have a bunch of arrogant dimwits.
And don't dare celebrate a 90+2 min winner as the other team is really sad in that moment. Have some humility and just walk back to your half.

There shall be no fun.

Beautiful analogy, Siff

This is right on. If the game had been 13-0 over Brazil nobody would've said anything except how great we played. This isn't rec soccer. And it isn't about Thailand. This is about the USWNT trying to defend their World Cup title and play their best during the tournament, and as long as they don't cheat, display "unsporting behavior" towards opponents or officials, or play violently or recklessly with intent there is absolutely nothing wrong with what happened yesterday. I'm guessing nobody has asked the Thai coach and players if they thought the US was wrong. I'll bet they are disappointed and embarrassed, but not with the USWNT. It's the PC media who've decided how everyone is supposed to feel and act. I'm sure there are many who are complaining about this as being "over the top" who are fine with the foolishness displayed by NFL, NBA and other professional players worldwide when they outperform an opponent. They show it and celebrate it every day on tv. Losers in sports ARE NOT VICTIMS, and victors ARE NOT CRIMINALS. I don't remember anyone criticizing Jamaica or Venezuela for crushing the fragile psyche of the USMNT in the last 2 friendlies that don't have any trophies being awarded. This entire discussion in the media and the world is ridiculous.

I may have the wrong goal, but wasn't goal #12 the one where Morgan tied the all-time goals scored in a game record. I'm cool with them celebrating that.

This is right on. If the game had been 13-0 over Brazil nobody would've said anything except how great we played. This isn't rec soccer. And it isn't about Thailand. This is about the USWNT trying to defend their World Cup title and play their best during the tournament, and as long as they don't cheat, display "unsporting behavior" towards opponents or officials, or play violently or recklessly with intent there is absolutely nothing wrong with what happened yesterday. I'm guessing nobody has asked the Thai coach and players if they thought the US was wrong. I'll bet they are disappointed and embarrassed, but not with the USWNT. It's the PC media who've decided how everyone is supposed to feel and act. I'm sure there are many who are complaining about this as being "over the top" who are fine with the foolishness displayed by NFL, NBA and other professional players worldwide when they outperform an opponent. They show it and celebrate it every day on tv. Losers in sports ARE NOT VICTIMS, and victors ARE NOT CRIMINALS. I don't remember anyone criticizing Jamaica or Venezuela for crushing the fragile psyche of the USMNT in the last 2 friendlies that don't have any trophies being awarded. This entire discussion in the media and the world is ridiculous.

YEAH MOTHER FUCKERS LISTEN TO THIS DUDE

Not even remotely close to the shit that's been said over the past 24 hours.

right

Said David Robinson, laughing: "Don't ask me about anything Charles does. Charles is Charles. I can't speak for Charles.

"I think it's important for us to be very cordial and very gracious. "

https://sports.yahoo.com/uswnt-crit...gusted-there-are-kids-watching-232723878.html

"I just think they could have won with some humility and grace, and they just couldn’t manage to do that," Rustad said.

(Can't edit post to add...)

of course, we should go back to Twitter from 1992 to check the immediate reactions from the common man at the time

Basketball also isn't the best comparison because you're compelled to go forward and score based off the shot clock. It would be more embarrassing to the opponent to just run the shut clock out repeatedly and not attempt to score.

In soccer you can just kick the ball around and not really try to score

Also the goal difference probably hurts us more than it helps since it lines us up to play France earlier than if we come in second. Wouldnt surprise me if we ultimately rue yesterday

Back