• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

England's women's coach accuses some of her players of "cowardice"

haha

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jul/10/hope-powell-england-women-world-cup

Haha I heard about that earlier and was discussing this with my boyfriend. I thought it might just be a female thing because I have seen girls/women at all levels of competition freaked out about taking pks. On my teams I would say on average there were 3 girls confident about taking them with usually 2-3 others willing but tentative with the rest looking like they would rather die than take one. He said that was the same on all of his teams and I was a bit surprised. I guess male or female you either have it or you don't. Knowing Kelly Smith I bet she wanted to strangle all those chicks shying away from taking a kick.

I love taking penalties. Then again I just smack the shit out of it now. Tried to be cheeky once. Didn't work.

Decided to just use my raw leg strength and blast the fucker. If the keeper get in the way...oh whale.

Haha I heard about that earlier and was discussing this with my boyfriend. I thought it might just be a female thing because I have seen girls/women at all levels of competition freaked out about taking pks. On my teams I would say on average there were 3 girls confident about taking them with usually 2-3 others willing but tentative with the rest looking like they would rather die than take one. He said that was the same on all of his teams and I was a bit surprised. I guess male or female you either have it or you don't. Knowing Kelly Smith I bet she wanted to strangle all those chicks shying away from taking a kick.

i cant imagine the mindset of a player who's shit-scared to step up for his team.

I love taking penalties. Then again I just smack the shit out of it now. Tried to be cheeky once. Didn't work.

Decided to just use my raw leg strength and blast the fucker. If the keeper get in the way...oh whale.

Agreed, I remember some of the penalties I've taken back to U12's. Fricking love them.

In high school I was the penalty-taker. I felt confident because I always put it in the same place. I'd aim just wide of the right post and watch it curl into the side netting, money in the bank. Fortunately our opponents didn't scout me on video because I did the same damn thing every time.

Cesc scored a pen with a broken leg so there! (I can anticipate all your babbling about Cesc wanting out etc so don't even bother!)

Babble babble babble Cesc wants out and has for 2 year babble babble babble

I didn't want to let you down!

In high school I was the penalty-taker. I felt confident because I always put it in the same place. I'd aim just wide of the right post and watch it curl into the side netting, money in the bank. Fortunately our opponents didn't scout me on video because I did the same damn thing every time.

Hit side netting with any sort of pace and you will score on a penalty. Guaranteed.

Bedoya's twitter is pretty funny. From today:

We lost, I hit crossbar 2 times, sprained ankle, 2 yellow cards n red card for me all in 1 frickin game! #OneofThoseDays

And Jozy is helping at his soccer camp in Boca Raton. Sounds like he's just waiting for a transfer to transpire.

Why would you be asking for volunteers? Shouldn't you know who your best penalty shot players are and have that established well before.

Having uncertainty then can't be a good thing.

barcastuff Iniesta: "Before scoring, I heard the silence. It was an incredible moment. It seemed like the world had frozen. I knew it would go in."
about 5 hours ago

Awesome

Lionel Messi has failed to score in any of his last 14 competitive appearances for Argentina.

Tell me about Carlos Fierro (U-17 Mexico National Team). He really stood out to me in the U17 WC Finals yesterday. Good speed, control and poise.

not really. We played like shit and the only thing they got out of it was a PK and a free kick that took a wild deflection into the goal. Yesterday's US team beats Sweden 2-0.

That's just like...your opinion, man.

Back