• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

Grant Wahl ‏ @GrantWahl

Hearing USMNT going 4-2-3-1 with Altidore as a lone forward (i.e., no Buddle). Official lineup expected around 1:45 pm ET.

usmnt-home-shirt-2012-2013.jpg
http://www.majorleaguesoccertalk.com/media/2012/02/usmnt-home-shirt-2012-2013.jpg

it looks like what a team in a movie would wear, you know whenever they show generic professional teams. just horrible looking.

Grant Wahl ‏ @GrantWahl

Hearing USMNT going 4-2-3-1 with Altidore as a lone forward (i.e., no Buddle). Official lineup expected around 1:45 pm ET.

Not surprised. The 4-2-3-1 is the formation we'll be rocking through 2014. Well at least to start most matches.

I'm going to be surprised if it's anything but Bradley, Edu, Williams, Dempsey, and Shea as the midfielders. Would've liked to see 2 up top since Jozy and Buddle worked well together against Slovenia, but it's not too big of a deal.

Yeahhh I think were gonna see exactly what we thought would see for the starting XI

Please no more Edu. His game has regressed. I'd like to see Williams start at holding mid (which I believe he does with Hoffenheim) and someone else out right. Maybe Sacha? Or Dempsey with Sacha as the ACM. Actually hasn't Mikey been playing RM a lot for Chievo?

I'm so confused.

Havent' paid too much attention about lineups for this, with the exception of Donovan not playing.

What's a realistic expectation for today? 1-2 loss? 0-1 loss? 1-1?

Fuck the more I think about it nobody really has the pace to play out right, except for Brek who better be playing LW.

Italy generally plays more narrow though, so of all games to not have as much pace on the wings, this is probably the one. Although it also highlights how we're missing LD and Chandler specifically, since they might have been able to exploit that a little more.

And of course since I've said that Italy will inevitably not play down the middle all game.

I think Bradley plays on the right in a 4-3-3, so not really as a wide midfielder. I would have liked to see us use a 4-3-3 here, as Williams is wasted on the wing.

A reasonable expectation would be keeping it within 1 goal I think. This is a strong team we're facing.

Speaking of pacier wingers, are there any coming down the pipeline outside of Shea? I suppose Chandler and Johnson count, but it looks like Jurgen wants to use them as FBs.

If we're gonna play the 4-2-3-1 we'll need quicker players to provide depth on the wings. Hopefully we can find some young guys to fill that role.

Speaking of pacier wingers, are there any coming down the pipeline outside of Shea? I suppose Chandler and Johnson count, but it looks like Jurgen wants to use them as FBs.

If we're gonna play the 4-2-3-1 we'll need quicker players to provide depth on the wings. Hopefully we can find some young guys to fill that role.

Gyau, Gatt, and I think Johnson will move to LM once Lichaj gets back. My guess is Chandler will move up as well if there's a reasonable replacement.

US Starters: Howard-Cherundolo-Goodson-Bocanegra(c)-Johnson-Bradley-Edu-Williams-Dempsey-Shea-Altidore

From twitter

Gyau, Gatt, and I think Johnson will move to LM once Lichaj gets back. My guess is Chandler will move up as well if there's a reasonable replacement.

Oh, and my boy Kelyn Rowe is going to be getting looks at LM/CM/RM for the National Team in the next few years. I've been very impressed with him this preseason.

And I just quoted myself. :eek:

What I think Jürgen will do:

-------------------Altidore--------------------
----Shea--------Dempsey--------Williams---
---------------Edu--------Bradley-------------
Johnson--Bocanegra--Goodson--Cherundolo
--------------------Howard--------------------

What I would do as coach:

-------------------Altidore---------------------
----Shea---------Kljestan--------Dempsey---
------------Williams----Bradley---------------
Johnson--Bocanegra--Goodson--Cherundolo