• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

Excluding his early blunder, Lichaj has been solid.

He's the only member of the back line I'd be okay seeing an upcoming qualifier

If we can't do any better than altidore and an elderly Deuce up front then we shouldn't expect to do anything ever

I thought Jozy was excellent tonight with hold up play. Deuce quiet outside of his assist but that's just deuce. Our two best players on the field tonight were MB4 and Nagbe, that was the real difference in the match

Demspey with a few terrible passes given away on good opportunities. Impressed by Arriola and Lichaj, want to see more of them going forward. Nagbe was very good with the ball control inside, will be interesting to see if he sticks there or moves back out wide.

Zardes seems like his legs are too long or something. He can run fast, but when he slows to get a cross in he can't direct it, which I assume is playing on the left while being right-footed, but still, he's a mess for the most part.

Don't see us beating the Ticos, let alone El Tri with this sloppy play.

Also very disappointed in the ref and the cheap play from El Salvador and their version of Suarez munching on Altidore.

The overall lack of quality basics, touch, passing, and positioning was typical USMNT. None of these new guys is ready to break into the starting line-up. Nagbe should be in or first off the bench. Lichaj maybeeeeeeeeeeee because we'd really love to move Yedlin up to the wing and everybody else sucks at RB. Other than that nah. And I'm sorry for all the Acosta supporters, but he's lost on the pitch. He's far from a reliable or useful product except for dead ball kicks.

I love Nagbe, but he tends to fade and disappear in the second half of games.

I am kinda dunzo with Clint. I still like Omar. When he is paired with a better backline, his 1 or 2 per game blunders can be smothered by Brooks/Besler/Yedlin. His set piece ability make him a necessity, for me. The backline needs Besler as he seems to be the only one who can pass with ability. Really liked Nagbe. I'd like to see him on the pitch with Pulisic and Bradley and Acosta and see who shakes out/is redundant. Like Zardes over Arriola (sp?). I think Arriola's size or lack there of hurts him - because he plays physical. It's not going to work against squads with size (read: Europe). Works okay against smaller dudes.

Yea unfortunately I think Dempsey has his tank on E. age catches up to every one no matter how hard you work.

I like Arriola as the energy guy off the bench or as defensive winger against better teams

Zardes does nothing for me. I still think Clint has a role but it's first attacker off the bench when we need a goal.

Wood-Jozy
Nagbe-Acosta-Bradley-Pulisic
Fabian-Brooks-Cameron-Yedlin
Howard

Hopefully that's our XI for the CRC qualifier. Fabian may play at a wide MF for BM but he's much more valuable at LB for us

Last edited:
This team sucks. Save us Christian Pulisic or we're not making it out of group play at the World Cup.

Back