• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Reveal Yourself! Show my daddy your (oYo), I have a beach house!!

10171300_10102344537005931_4401215556541612662_n.jpg

And a bike pic for the hell of it:

988283_10101256412341481_1005077302_n.jpg

Did the dog enjoy his Grandpa's Country Fried Breakfast at the Cracker Barrel?

She deserved one for sure, but alas, she only got some water and a peanut butter treat.

Oddly enough, that Cracker Barrel on Hillsborough Street in Durham has become quite the drop off/meeting point on our dog transports. I think we've been there three times now.

Posters are always older than I expect

Posters are always older than I expect

Probably because we've been posting here forever. Us old-timers are 10-15+ years older than we started.

Probably because we've been posting here forever. Us old-timers are 10-15+ years older than we started.

yeah, i do tend to still think of people as the same age as when we started posting (sorry doofus/numbers)... except that was 10 years ago. damn.

Coming up on 17 for me.

Same here. I think I started posting on Rancho De Nada in January 1998. Probably posts lauding Niki Arinze.

palma, others can fill in the blanks.

Really old-timers posted on a Wake AOL message board. I remember posting there a few times when I was at home over break.

Younger old-timers posted Wake stuff on the college basketball Usenet page. I posted there and a few others who were at Wake around that time did, too. I think that's how I found out about Kent's Rancho De Nada boards.

Kent started Rancho De Nada in 1997 or 1998. That was about when message boards were just getting started. I think The Sabre started up around then. Pretty sure DBR had a message board.

A few years later, the boards moved to ACCBoards.com which had one message board for each ACC team. Wake, State, and Maryland ACCBoards had the most usage. The UNC and Duke ACCBoards were the #2 boards behind Inside Carolina and The Devil's Den.

UVa fans endured that horrible format at The Sabre. Tech had their own although I forget the name. (Has vad been posting here that long?) I guess Clemson was active on ACCBoards because I remember some regulars. Not sure what FSU did back then.

What made the ACCBoards days special/frustrating is that people regularly posted on other teams' boards. There was always a ton of smack talk between the Big Four and Maryland fans, especially between Wake and State and Maryland and State.

A lot of us got banned from the State boards and from IC back in those days. My last post on the State boards was announcing a commit from Chris Ellis, son of Dale Ellis, to close out the Big E/JGray class. We got Big E and JGray over State so that was a sore spot. That lead to the Chris Paul vs. Mustafa Shakur wars. State fans thought they would get Shakur and thought he was better than Paul. Neither was true.

Maryland fans loved to call NC State's highly regarded QB "PhiLLLLip Rivers" because he never won against Maryland. Good times.

There was generally good will between Maryland and Wake, especially during the Juan Dixon era when they were showing up Duke and UNC. If you wondered where the "Suque" came from and why there was a Wake presence there for many years, that's why.

At some point, Scout started up and got into the message boards business. Cagles (who was a high school kid at the time) took over the ACCBoards from Kent. Cagles joined the Wake boards up with Scout. Other prominent ACC message boards joined Scout as well. (Note: There may have been a step I missed in there.)

And then Scout happened and now we're here. Big difference from those days. There are a few fans from rival schools who have stuck with the Wake boards through all these iterations, but for the most part this board is far more insular than ACCBoards were back in the day.

Last edited:
Ph sums it up nicely. Way back in the beginnings, the interplay between schools was what made the boards. In 94/95, the AOL boards weren't school specific...just an ACC folder. We trolled before we even knew what it was. Bandwagon Boy and RoboHeel came out of that time...followed by the true pioneer of the art, Tibor.

And then Scout happened and now we're here. Big difference from those days. There are a few fans from rival schools who have stuck with the Wake boards through all these iterations, but for the most part this board is far more insular than ACCBoards were back in the day.

True. There was even more interplay on ACC boards than Scout, and if I remember correctly, less trolling. Those from other schools usually came over for scouting reports/game discussions and most stayed over the years to discuss other things. Scout facilitated the easy pop over and make an inflammatory comment, especially from non-ACC schools with whom we might have a random game .against.

Ph sums it up nicely. Way back in the beginnings, the interplay between schools was what made the boards. In 94/95, the AOL boards weren't school specific...just an ACC folder. We trolled before we even knew what it was. Bandwagon Boy and RoboHeel came out of that time...followed by the true pioneer of the art, Tibor.

oh man- Tibor!

Back