• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Revisiting the U.S. Open Pinehurst #2

Ha; obnoxious dude eh?

Just not very congenial, apparently. Didn't help that he had an 8 on the first hole and had lost 6 strokes by the 3rd. She didn't have much luck with Friday's group either, but they also didn't play well. I can imagine that would affect a player's mood greatly. That's no excuse to my mother, however.

Just not very congenial, apparently. Didn't help that he had an 8 on the first hole and had lost 6 strokes by the 3rd. She didn't have much luck with Friday's group either, but they also didn't play well. I can imagine that would affect a player's mood greatly. That's no excuse to my mother, however.

Ha; for sure.

stadler%252520coors%252520light%25255B3%25255D.jpg

That's supposed to be a picture of a drunk Kevin Standler covered in puke.

Last edited:
We had a house across the street from the 2nd green. Didn't set foot inside the course the entire week. Had a blast.

Were you on Midland Rd?

Didn't realize Coore played golf at Wake. Big article on Pinehurst No. 2 with mentions of Old Town in this month's USAir mag.

I will reserve judgment on the course upon seeing it in cooler weather and without the US Open infrastructure. The bleachers were about the only vantage points for prime viewing. Fortunately the ticket I was given included partner village privileges, otherwise my Sunday experience would have summed up as miles of dusty trudging and being roped off from being able to see any golf!

And Olympic.

And Pinehurst #2 with 3 opens in 15 years and now back to back men's & women's. A new standard in golfing, bringing back older courses where chipping & putting replace bombing drives.

Anyone seen any estimates of the economic impact to NC of the Opens?

Anyone seen any estimates of the economic impact to NC of the Opens?

Hopefully enough to pay for the widening of Hwy 211, which is now the same capacity as I-77 through northern Mecklenburg County.

Hopefully enough to pay for the widening of Hwy 211, which is now the same capacity as I-77 through northern Mecklenburg County.

Suc it Meck. Ya'll ain't never getting the Open. Ya'll go tiny little interstates.

Just because something was designed a certain way, doesn't mean it has to be that way. Buildings are renovated all the time... to improve them. This went backwards and doesn't make sense in todays world.

What I read and heard all week is this is exactly where course design is headed in the future. The new design drastically reduces the amount of water used for normal upkeep. Personally, I think we could use more courses like #2 and Pine Valley.

What I read and heard all week is this is exactly where course design is headed in the future. The new design drastically reduces the amount of water used for normal upkeep. Personally, I think we could use more courses like #2 and Pine Valley.

Meh. It's actually an old style, not a new one. And the game is already losing popularity because is hard, expensive and time-consuming. Having more courses like #2 and Pine Valley is not going to help change that trend. Neither will six hour rounds, which is what you will have if you put most amateurs on that type of course. Folks building courses may be dumb, but they aren't that dumb.

Meh. It's actually an old style, not a new one. And the game is already losing popularity because is hard, expensive and time-consuming. Having more courses like #2 and Pine Valley is not going to help change that trend. Neither will six hour rounds, which is what you will have if you put most amateurs on that type of course. Folks building courses may be dumb, but they aren't that dumb.

I wasn't suggesting it is a new style. What I am saying is that water conservation is becoming a big deal. And I happen to like old school courses. That's a personal preference, not a judgement on a course like Congressional, which is a jewel in its own right.

Brown areas looked bad on camera but both Opens were great setups. Identified the best player in both fields, allowed only 3 players under par despite almost no complaints of it being unfair, Stacy Lewis had 8 birdies on Sunday, 6 men at/near the top 10 shot under par on Sunday. No ridiculous holes like 18 at Merion where nobody made a birdie Saturday and Sunday combined. As Phil mentioned, green conditions were perfect even on Sunday.

Just wish somebody had given Kaymer a run. He was simply dominant.

I wasn't suggesting it is a new style. What I am saying is that water conservation is becoming a big deal. And I happen to like old school courses. That's a personal preference, not a judgement on a course like Congressional, which is a jewel in its own right.

I actually like Congressional's Gold more than the Blue. Really fun course, if you haven't played it.

Interesting, he was so gracious when I saw him approaching the 1st tee last Nov at Sea Island. One of the female volunteers did not know who he was and wouldn't open the rope to let him onto the 1st tee until he mentioned he was 1 of the players! He was not upset at all; very polite. Since then I've pulled for him and glad he finally won his 1st tournament earlier this year. I suspect moods can change if a golfer is having a bad day......

Back