• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rex Walters 1 hour podcast with Danny Manning

Why does Rex Walters have a podcast? Podcasts are like the new blog...everyone has one, but most of them are useless.

Last edited:
Interesting in that I've definitely never heard Manning speak so much and for so long.

But it's too late.

I'm amazed Manning has a strategy on anything related to basketball except duping Wake out of his next paycheck.

Wonder if manning would be willing to restructure his contract. He could step down and we’d mail him a check for like the next 20 years. Like our own little Bobby Bonilla day.

I’m a sucker for sports podcasts so I listened to this whole episode. You will learn zero about WFU basketball , in fact it is barely covered at all and is bound to make some of yall’s heads explode. There is also almost nothing at all about Rex Walters so you wont learn anything about him. Walters literally starts the podcast apologizing for the time since his last podcast and that he really wanted to be working his tail off for Eric musselman at Nevada but instead is in Winston-Salem. I know what he meant but , ooffff, the phrasing.

That being Said, if you like basketball history then it’s a very interesting listen. Manning basically tells his story from high school to college to nba to injuries and retirement. I knew most of it already, but it was still interesting to listen to. I would have loved it if it had been some other big name player from my childhood and not then guy who currently sucks the life out of wfu basketball.

Most interesting tidbit to me was Manning’s recruitment as the number one rated high school player in country . All the big names were recruiting him hard but then Larry brown hired his dad as an assistant coach ( no mention of shady that was) and when manning moved to Lawrence Kansas for his senior year, he said every other school immediately stopped recruiting him except for one, UNC. So the number one player in the country basically only had two schools even calling him his senior year and one of them was his dad’s school.

Lots of name dropping of players and coaches that manning played with and for and some talk of just how completely loaded Greensboro page was his junior year when they won the state title.

So for wake fans, I’ll give this podcast an F minus, but for basketball history fans who want to reminisce a bit, I’ll give it a solid A.

I’m a sucker for sports podcasts so I listened to this whole episode. You will learn zero about WFU basketball , in fact it is barely covered at all and is bound to make some of yall’s heads explode. There is also almost nothing at all about Rex Walters so you wont learn anything about him. Walters literally starts the podcast apologizing for the time since his last podcast and that he really wanted to be working his tail off for Eric musselman at Nevada but instead is in Winston-Salem. I know what he meant but , ooffff, the phrasing.

That being Said, if you like basketball history then it’s a very interesting listen. Manning basically tells his story from high school to college to nba to injuries and retirement. I knew most of it already, but it was still interesting to listen to. I would have loved it if it had been some other big name player from my childhood and not then guy who currently sucks the life out of wfu basketball.

Most interesting tidbit to me was Manning’s recruitment as the number one rated high school player in country . All the big names were recruiting him hard but then Larry brown hired his dad as an assistant coach ( no mention of shady that was) and when manning moved to Lawrence Kansas for his senior year, he said every other school immediately stopped recruiting him except for one, UNC. So the number one player in the country basically only had two schools even calling him his senior year and one of them was his dad’s school.

Lots of name dropping of players and coaches that manning played with and for and some talk of just how completely loaded Greensboro page was his junior year when they won the state title.

So for wake fans, I’ll give this podcast an F minus, but for basketball history fans who want to reminisce a bit, I’ll give it a solid A.

Thanks for the summary. I was half tempted to listen even if just to get a laugh when Manning talks basketball strategy but from the sounds of it I wouldn't have even chuckled slightly

What’s the Mussleman connection?

Not exactly sure but i think Walters was going to be an analyst at Nevada this year but then musselman took the Arkansas job and Walters did not go with him for whatever reason and ended up at wfu as a full time assistant

In other words, Manning's experience as a player is still the only thing that he has to offer on the recruiting trail 5 years later.

i can't get myself to listen...i have tried

Back